Late/2nd season archery with a bow?

nyslowhand

May be a stupid question or an useless topic, but do all you diehard archers hunt the late or 2nd season with your bow?

Personally, by Thanksgiving these old bones get too cold and are covered with too many layers of clothing to fumble with a bow.

Once the early archery season closes the bow is put away and the muzzleloader comes out.

Call me a wuz, but the fun with my bow ends when its 20º, snowing and the wind is howling.

Sure it is not this way for you younger guys or is it?

I don't know about you fellows, but bow hunting is good for all weather...me personally (being European) the colder it gets the better it is... I love single digit hunting...it's tough on you and it's tough on he game as well...so, bring it on...

Probably the biggest problem I have with bowhunting in that kind of extreme weather is the amount of clothes I have to pile on. Trying to get string clearance with all that stuff sticking out is just about impossible for me. Also, trying to get good form, alignment, and consistant anchor, etc. is another thing I don't have a whole lot of luck at. My shooting falls completely apart as soon as I have to layer-up to that extent.

And eliminating some of those layers resulting in hypothermia is not an option.  :)

Doc

When I lived on Long Island the regular season for deer ran until the 31 of December,If I were to sit for any amount of time 20' - 30' up in a tree stand.It could get pretty cold. I would walk in with a light set of clothing and back pack in my heavy fleece and wool clothing.always carried hand and foot warmers.I have put on or bought velcro bands around the sleeves  which kept the bow string from getting caught.

I love hunting the late season, and have taken more than a few deer at the 11th hour so to speak. It is peaceful, the weekend warriors are gone, and it is just like hunting the early archery season where peace and solitutde are concerned. The late season snow tends to be pristine. The deer are more hunter weary, but are also concentrating on eating to get through the winter. Find the food and you'll find the deer.

Like others have said it can be done but it makes for difficult shooting with all the extra layers. Take a day when it's not super chilly maybe. Here's the other problem; noisy stands in sub-zero weather. I love Bow hunting don't get me wrong, but days like that a muzzleloader and pounding a little ground can pay off.

By the time the late season comes I have just about had it with hunting. I also have a major issue with snow and ice as I have a bad leg and am physically challenged. So if we have lots of snow I may go out for a hour in the mid day to see if any deer are coming out to feed on the cut corn area in back of the house. I also have a bunch of area hunters with there bP that are putting on drives etc.