moose/elk hunts

cbx46

Ive been applying in VT,NH and Maine for 9 years.Drew a a tag in Vt this past Oct,See the out of ny hunting-Lottery success,For my story and photos.The applicataion period opens in January done via their web site's.My advice is if you draw a tag get on the phone the next morning and book an outfitter quick ,as they will book up fast.Good luck.

Success rate in VT is about 50-60 %.As a non resident,it's hard to take time off and drive up there to scout prior to the season.I hired a guide who did the scouting and had the rsponsability get a 700 lb animal off the mountain.In the end he was worth every penny.

• Ive been applying for 9 years before i drew a tag.I choose the wmu's by the success rate.Start in the Northeast kingdom and work your way down south.I drew my 4th choice in zone G.In the end it was a good pick,Its near the canandian border has a decent number of moose in the zone and it only had 35 tags allocated for it,Unlike the zones in the northeastern part of the state which has a huge number of moose but your also competeing with 60 or 70 other hunters who also drew in the zone.Its a trade off.

I applied in Maine for about 20 years. Not only did I not draw, but I don't personally know anyone who DID draw. Odds keep getting worse every year.

I applied in New Hampshire and Vermont for a few years also. At the time, odds were best in NH ( about 1 in 30) and Vermont was a little worse. Never drew either of them.

Odds of drawing a PA elk tag are about like getting struck by lightning at the same instant you win the lottery, especially if you are a non resident. They typically give out 4 or 5 NR tags among THOUSANDS of applicants.

I'm not trying to discourage you..You can't win if you don't play, but don't be surprised if it takes to years to draw, if ever.

The only tag I currently apply for is New Brunswick moose. Odds are usually about 1 in 20 for NR and I have drawn one tag in ten years of applying.

If you REALLY REALLY want to kill a moose, save your $$$$ and go to Newfoundland. If you REALLY REALLY want to kill a moose with a big rack, save even more $$$$ and go to Alaska or western Canada.

Good luck !

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, i skimmed through this thread....if putting into the PA Elk Lotto....how does it work...do you need to fork up the money up front and if you don;t draw, oh well....or if you do draw then you pay? I though I saw they were about $600 bucks for us but that may have gone up....any info would be great!

Generally,You pay the non-resident application fee,Then if your selected,Your required to pay for a non-resident hunting license.Most application fee's are anywhere from $15 to $25.

Antler if you get a tag, get a Moose, hire a guide etc. What would be a ballpark figure for the total amount you can expect to pay.

Dave

In VT,Application was $25.When I drew a tag it was $350 for the non-resident hunting license.My guide,which is not mandatory in VT,charged $3000.He scouted the zone the week leading up to opening day,removed the moose from the woods,handled all butchering.I have a place in VT,so I didnt have to spend money on a hotel,But add in gas,tolls and a tip for the guide.If your going to hire a guide in Vt keep in mind there is not a lot of them,And the ones who are available book up quick after the drawing.I went with an established,reputable guide and not with a local guy who hires himself out on the side,which is cheaper.It's a once in a life time tag and I wanted a guide who would actually show up opening morning and not be hung over.

In VT,Application was $25.When I drew a tag it was $350 for the non-resident hunting license.My guide,which is not mandatory in VT,charged $3000.He scouted the zone the week leading up to opening day,removed the moose from the woods,handled all butchering.I have a place in VT,so I didnt have to spend money on a hotel,But add in gas,tolls and a tip for the guide.If your going to hire a guide in Vt keep in mind there is not a lot of them,And the ones who are available book up quick after the drawing.I went with an established,reputable guide and not with a local guy who hires himself out on the side,which is cheaper.It's a once in a life time tag and I wanted a guide who would actually show up opening morning and not be hung over.

Is the guide fee based on so many days? Did you shoot a bull ?

The guide was with me for the whole 6 day season.Look at the "Out of NY hunting"section under lottery success for the whole story and picture.I shot a big cow on day 3.Two seasons ago,This guide put a client on to a nice bull 20 min. into opening day.He still gets the paid the full amount.On another note,weather your using a guide or DIY,Some zones,like mine in zone C in north central VT is very mountainous.We found the Moose at a higher elevation,Which meant we hiked about 3 miles a day up and over hilly terrain.I.E.,Not for the average couch potato.