I have NO IDEA where to post this

I thought the 'rule' was you could shoot an exotic animal if it had escaped. Just like the pigs running around Cortland Co.. But I guess there is a different real rule.

I think they view it like livestock. I think in NY everything is protected unless they specifically call it out as an unregulated species. IE red squirrels. Pigs they have added to unregulated and it is open season on them. so I gues even farer John's pig had better stay in the pen. These hunters had ought to thank their luck stars they weren't up north and stumbled across a moose. i think they would have been drawn and quartered by now

NY hunters are just racking up a tally in the hall of shame this year...but whats going on? ...private reserve and here we are hearing of not only this but a few other escapes...if the DEC wants to hand out special permits for these places.... they'd pull there heads out and start doing a better job of policing and inspecting them...but that would be hard I suppose when you have whats been found within the DEC...any buddy read the latest NYOutdoor news?...Nothing like clocking in a few times a week and heading out to a local bar...or racking up 35,000 or so in extra pay and benefits you didn't earn,,,stellar year NY :imsohappy::fie:

well the dec didn't seem to concerned as no tickets were issued...and i'm sure the missing cows will be shot... they said you should view them as escapee's but what if they are loose for a year(or an extended time) does that mean they are now resident? And the wonder where pigs and such came from..better off banning all game farms now .......

It sounds like the oly illegal act was saying they thought it was a deer. The DEC said they should identify target before shooting.

Protected And

Unprotected Wildlife

In New York State, nearly all species of wildlife

are protected. Most species, including endangered

species, songbirds, hawks and owls are

fully protected and may not be taken. The few

unprotected species include porcupine, red

squirrel, woodchuck, English sparrow, starling,

rock pigeon and monk parakeet. Unprotected

species may be taken at any time without limit.

However, a hunting license is required to hunt

unprotected wildlife with a bow or firearm.

Game species may be taken only during

their open seasons and as summarized in this

Guide.

If we don't view them as wildlife becasue they came from a farm....try shooting Farmer John's Black angus steer that gets out and see if tickets get issued. I bet they get cited

Protected And

Unprotected Wildlife

In New York State, nearly all species of wildlife

are protected. Most species, including endangered

species, songbirds, hawks and owls are

fully protected and may not be taken. The few

unprotected species include porcupine, red

squirrel, woodchuck, English sparrow, starling,

rock pigeon and monk parakeet. Unprotected

species may be taken at any time without limit.

However, a hunting license is required to hunt

unprotected wildlife with a bow or firearm.

Game species may be taken only during

their open seasons and as summarized in this

Guide.

If we don't view them as wildlife becasue they came from a farm....try shooting Farmer John's Black angus steer that gets out and see if tickets get issued. I bet they get cited

Cows are considered domestic livestock. This happened to the Coldbrook Game Farm a couple of years back. The neighbor shot an escaped Elk and correct me if wrong but I don't believe he was charged. Would the owner be liable for any damages caused by the animals? If you are correct how could you shoot any escaped pigs years ago?

There is actually an article on here back in Dec. of 2010 where a guy shot a Fallow Deer and he was not charged with any offense. I couldn't post the link. Do a search for Fallow Deer and it will show up.

I agree 100% they should be punished for not identifying their game. Who in their right mind could mistake ELK for DEER?

Edited by coyoteman

I can see not shooting someones 'moo' cows, but an escaped animal that could become an invasive species, like pigs, or even an elk? I dont know. I thought exotics were not protected. Guess I was wrong, and Ill add another law that I dont agree with to the list lol.

I do have a problem with someone saying they mistook an 800+lb elk for a deer though. I also have a problem with letting the meat spoil sitting in the back of a pickup. That guy should 100% be fined and have to pay damages to the farm. I dont care what range it was at, if you cant tell the difference between a bull elk and a whitetail, you shouldnt be in the woods, period.

Whoa, hold the boat. Elk are actually native to NY state, but were eliminated by people. They are not 'exotic' here any more than a turkey (which by the way only thrives in the numbers we enjoy today because of trap and release programs).

8.jpg

There is a growing herd of Elk in PA, not far at all from where I live, that may eventually even filter north into NY naturally.

http://paelk.com/

Mind, Roosevelt Elk are a different subspecies, but comparing escaped Elk in NY to feral pigs /escaped Russian game ranch boars is apples and oranges.

Re: The original post/article, that's just sad. I've seen Elk in person, and at great distances through the woods. They don't look like deer even at a distance. It's very frustrating that those 'deer hunters' didn't identify their targets.

Edited by Jennifer

What is it about an elk that has any resemblance to a deer? Honestly, these guys are out hunting deer and they don't even have a clue what they actually look like? Pull those licenses ..... they don't even belong in the woods.

Now the other side of the coin ....... I have to wonder what kind of Mickey Mouse fence do they have these critters enclosed in that they can "walk through the fence"? Why are we so accepting of the careless way some of these places maintain their facilities when non-native species are involved? It seems to me that rules and regulations on these game farms and hunting preserves need a whole lot of tightening. Their should be required construction rules for enclosures based on species, along with initial inspection and periodic un announced future inspections. Failure to properly maintain enclosures should result in prmanent closure.

We now have a breeding population of a very destructive species because of sloppy housing practices involved by these kinds of places. One of three things needs to happen. set up some very strict regulations and inspections of the housing and control of non-native species, make the penalties for escaped animals so steep that no one would ever risk an escape, or outlaw these kinds of places completely.