EHD outbreak in NY?

ANTLERS

Here’s another update from the manager who runs our program in 3S...still good news for us at this point
118d5729a0512f565dfb786cdb00427f.jpg&key=795ece593029fc04d785cf89230c773db2fe487aae2d2fa68c1a204c2988c80b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In 3S as of this morning, I can confirm 2 alive mature bucks, 2 Alive does, and 1 Alive fawn. All looked healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

From my understanding EHD is typically localized. Idk this time it seems pretty widespread. At least moving towards it. Right next to Orange County is NJ. My buddy was out at the refuge Sat. Found 3 dead deer by the water. The refuge biologist just told me another guy found 10. Apparently the biologist are going to test em. 
In my driving around deer are suddenly gone. Typically on some roads through southern NY you can barely drive. It seems a ghost land. Not even tracks in the mud where they always seem to frequent. 

This really sucks...anyone know if and how this spreads? Will the localized area develop more immunity and will some of that immunity spread out further?!
Does it reinfect the same area year after year? Do me areas get affected that are touching previous areas?
Are you guys still hunting your properties affected?

[mention]MattTavern [/mention]
[mention]Foggy Mountain [/mention]

Truly This sucks that you guys are experiencing this on your lands. any idea about the above questions from your dealing with DEC, etc.
We need a freeze quick but doesn’t seem like that’s in the near future

I know theres a possibility that the deer who survive and reproduce can pass on some immunity, that seems to be what happens down south. After hearing that, NO, I will no be hunting my infected areas with the hopes to help future deer populations. My wife think I am nuts and someone else will hunt them anyway but I hope the hunting gods take notice of my efforts and help me in the future LOL. All the other questions are a crap shoot. I don’t think there is enough research to answer those questions and if there has been research done I have not come across it. Will it come back? My guess is probably based on the summer conditions, research does show that this is pretty common in dry areas (south) but the deer have some immunity. It strikes in the North every so often in certain areas that seem to have the perfect conditions that year.

Also a side note: I have read two separate articles (from known publishers) where recommendations have been to take the smaller deer such as fawns and pass on mature does so they can reproduce.

Thoughts?

I have not read much else except for the DEC reports. Keeping healthy breeding does seems to make sense hoping they get bred by whatever bucks survive since it seems that that is the most impacted group(mature bucks-ugh).
I wonder if the fawns would gain immunity/resistance by surviving a season and then pass that along to future generations.
I am disappointed/surprised (but not shocked) that certain lands have not been closed to the public for hunting especially with the uptick in license sales and the relative close proximity to NYC(pumpkin army!). Have you noticed less or more people in the public lands?

I set a camera up in Stony Point after my area in OC was destroyed with EHD. Had a few good Bucks hanging out in a bachelor party all of September. Went to check the camera today in an area where few people have access to due to locked gates and found a decent Buck dead on the stream bank. We need a freeze ASAP. It seems have spread down in Rockland. I know there was reports of Harriman State Park as well7da28d2720ad6e9e2bc07851a852e7db.jpg

Near the Cricket Town Road area.

My brother who is a Park Ranger in Rockland also said they discovered 2 dead ones at the Haverstraw Bay Park down by the Hudson River. So to answer the question of will this spread? My answer has to be “yes” it seems to be spreading south.

6 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

How do you know about my honeyhole?

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

You told us, in this thread. So I started to check that area out, once I knew me and Matt taverns normal place had suffered greatly from EHD.

You told us, in this thread. So I started to check that area out, once I knew me and Matt taverns normal place had suffered greatly from EHD.
Guess you were able to get access to some good private land then. Since to my knowledge there is zero public land in the area

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton