EHD outbreak in NY?

ANTLERS

19 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

What else would you do with them? Euros would still be beautiful! If you don't find a euro beautiful then you don't admire the beauty that nature can provide and for that I feel sorry for you

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

i, personally, would never hang a rack on the wall that i didn't shoot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i, personally, would never hang a rack on the wall that i didn't shoot.
Hanging one on that you didn't shoot and trying to pass it off as having been shot by you would be extremely weak. Hanging it for it's aesthetic value is quite nice however

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

Dang.....does EHD only kill big bucks? Don't think I have seen a scrub buck in any of these dead deer pics.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Someone commented earlier about it effected mature bucks mostly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

There’s still deer in there, just don’t know how bad it’s hit, but definitely significant portion is gone. The seven we found , plus I found 2 others. My friend lives on the north side and they found 10 in one wood lot.

it’s not good, because as Cynthia said, the deer herd Is kept pretty low as it is, in there. Can’t imagine what it’ll be like after the season.

I think the kill rate is 90% +, if deer gets infected. But not 90% of herd gets wiped out.. I think that probably depends a lot on the herd structure and how the land lays out, in different areas. Also, how long of a time EHD was in the area.

some of the areas now, just getting hit, might be somewhat spared, if this rain helped at all and it gets cold soon.

My 2020 hunting plan, is to avoid EHD affected areas, until a good frost, then try to find a good buck if possible, after it runs it’s course.. no does. The way I look at it, is no sense scouting deer, that might not be around in 2 weeks.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Yorehntr said:

There’s still deer in there, just don’t know how bad it’s hit, but definitely significant portion is gone. The seven we found , plus I found 2 others. My friend lives on the north side and they found 10 in one wood lot.

it’s not good, because as Cynthia said, the deer herd Is kept pretty low as it is, in there. Can’t imagine what it’ll be like after the season.

I think the kill rate is 90% +, if deer gets infected. But not 90% of herd gets wiped out.. I think that probably depends a lot on the herd structure and how the land lays out, in different areas. Also, how long of a time EHD was in the area.

some of the areas now, just getting hit, might be somewhat spared, if this rain helped at all and it gets cold soon.

My 2020 hunting plan, is to avoid EHD affected areas, until a good frost, then try to find a good buck if possible, after it runs it’s course.. no does. The way I look at it, is no sense scouting deer, that might not be around in 2 weeks.

I’m a little late to this one. Is there any resource that lists or maps affected areas?

Yes it kills equally however its unclear if the infection rate is the same for sex and age group. That said its spilting hairs, and way you look at it it knocks the population on its ass for a few years at best and several years more likely. Areas that arent privately managed take the brunt of it because quite frankly the state agency's are always reacting late to this. Somewhat understandably though, tags are issues season's are set alteady....it is what it is.

2 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

I want to read Tomorrow what the Bowhunters at Stewart will find. Anyone's guess just how many healthy deer are there. 

90% kill rate- that's a EHD Disaster!

hunters aren't great at judging numbers, especially after 1 day. I've hunted several days in a row without seeing a deer, then I'll pull cams and see hundreds of deer at night or in other areas. Really the only way to accurately judge numbers is through biologist studies. Even if deer sightings are down and anecdotally hunters are disappointed, that doesn't always totally correlate to a reduced heard. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Belo said:

hunters aren't great at judging numbers, especially after 1 day. I've hunted several days in a row without seeing a deer, then I'll pull cams and see hundreds of deer at night or in other areas. Really the only way to accurately judge numbers is through biologist studies. Even if deer sightings are down and anecdotally hunters are disappointed, that doesn't always totally correlate to a reduced heard. 

One hunter and one day, can’t judge anything, but when you have groups of people over a large area, discovering mass body counts, it’s something. 

I can find ten dead deer no problem near my home, drive 15 miles away and find another half dozen. Hit a totally different area the next morning and find four...It’s as far north as catskill ny now. Over 500 reported to DEC. times that by as many as ten and you might be in the ball park.

This is new to most of us, but not some. To the guys like trial153, and others that have experience with it, it’s not a question if the herd is going to be reduced, but how much.

i know I’ve hunted in Ohio, and had tons of deer before it happened, then the next year it was extremely slow hunting,  The herd out there,  also has some level of resistance built into , since it rolls through every once in awhile. Here it seems like smallpox to the Indians..

in any case, there are, and will be survivors . I just saw a pretty decent,  Healthy looking 8 point, off 84, right in a bad EHD area. 

• Like 1

It's very localized, one pocket you might see 50-75% in reduction while another area maybe less.
Not to be debby downer but on the farms I had/have access when we noticed it enough to note it, we lost over 50% easy. There were places the first year or two that we experienced pretty empty woods compared to what we did in the past.
For me in Iowa it was really noticable because I am only pulling the tag every four years, so if I sat those woods yearly it would seem more incremental.

22 hours ago, Yorehntr said:

One hunter and one day, can’t judge anything, but when you have groups of people over a large area, discovering mass body counts, it’s something. 

I can find ten dead deer no problem near my home, drive 15 miles away and find another half dozen. Hit a totally different area the next morning and find four...It’s as far north as catskill ny now. Over 500 reported to DEC. times that by as many as ten and you might be in the ball park.

This is new to most of us, but not some. To the guys like trial153, and others that have experience with it, it’s not a question if the herd is going to be reduced, but how much.

i know I’ve hunted in Ohio, and had tons of deer before it happened, then the next year it was extremely slow hunting,  The herd out there,  also has some level of resistance built into , since it rolls through every once in awhile. Here it seems like smallpox to the Indians..

in any case, there are, and will be survivors . I just saw a pretty decent,  Healthy looking 8 point, off 84, right in a bad EHD area. 

very good point on finding dead bodies, I was thinking more of what you see on the hoof. Thanks for pointing that out.