ground blind experiences

Hunterny28

Hello, I am looking into a ground blind and was wondering what your opinions and experiences with them? I have a nice ladder stand, but usually end up moving where I notice deer if my stand has not activity. Instead of moving my stand I thought about looking into a ground blind. I also figures it would be nice if I hunted a different area or state land.

So far I have liked the reviews of this blind.

http://www.basspro.com/Ameristep-Doghouse-Hunting-Blind-Combo/product/10202323/92823

the extras are not bad and nice they come with this blind. Has anyone used this blind? I will be using it for gun and bow. I know I need to put it somewhere, so that the shadow is broken up. Also would be a good idea to bush it in with tree limps and such.

Do you think they are worth the money? especially to block movement and be able to move your spot easily?

Having a blind is worth it yeah. They don't take alot of time to set up and fairly quiet - if your used to setting it up. Basicaly it's a mini tent. If you can blend it in it helps but deer will still notice it. That one you linked seems to have plenty of room to draw.

I think a lot of people think that pop-up blinds are the answer to instant mobility. I haven't found that to be the case. I have had bet results with using pop-ups that have been on location for a few weeks, and that have been carefully and thoroughly "brushed in". Putting up a ground blind on the spur of the moment has never worked for me and I have been quickly picked off from long distances.

This comment gets even more important with bow hunting because you are trying to get "up close and personal".

I agree with Doc, they are great if you give the deer time to get used to them, but typically not the best when thrown up over night unless you are hunting turkeys. They don't care about ground blinds. It can work if you can set it up in picked corn so that it belnds in really well.

Honestly, I dont see the point and I only hunt from the ground with shotgun, rifle, crossbow, etc.....Just sit against bushes, a big tree, or stone wall, etc. Dont allow yourself to be a silhouette when sitting on a hill. You get the point. A ground blind definitely will limit you compared to no blind when it comes to shooting, etc. Many times I have needed to move 5-10 feet whether it be crawling or whatever to get off that perfect shot. In a ground blind, I would have been screwed needing to unzip or whatever to get out of it.

and most importantly when sitting on the ground, DONT MOVE! Dont scratch your face, fix your hat, etc. Sit there as long as you can holding your weapon across your lap and look with your eyes and not your head or whole body.

I agree with you that ground blinds are really not necessary, but I just don't think it's realistic to expect anyone to remain as motionless as you are suggesting. If one is just moving their eyes, they really won't be covering much territory. I actually move around quite a bit when I stop and think of it. You'll never see the deer that walk behind the tree your sitting against if you just move your eyes and not your head or whole body.

I have a blind like the one you linked, if you plan to use it for bow hunting you should check to see if you can come to full draw inside first. I could not unless I put the arrow out of the opening first by 6 -8" or sat corner to corner & then just made it . jm$.02

Blinds have their place....with anything prep and process is key.

I've had luck setting up blinds next day (set midday for next morning hunt) for deer and same morning for turkey. I'm starting to become partial to hunting turkeys with a blind lately. I seem to stick it out longer for some reason.

I think blinds can be more deer-effective on the short term with gun use (safety implications aside).

The one situation where I can bank on it use same day during bow is with a decoy....draws the attention right away from it when set up correctly.

I have one blind out now in a woods flats that's been there for three weeks now. It'll serve as a good MZ spot. It's not brushed in at all because the woods are open...the key was putting it out there with enough time to let the deer acclimate in this situation. They're already walking by it based on tracks and sightings from another stand.

I bought one this year since I wanted to take my son out with me more. The blind was my solution to cover his moving. I believe it needs to be put out weeks in advance for deer hunting. I feel blind in the blind! Lol even though it has windows all around I just feel funny. I did not hunt out of it much and never alone when I had the option to be in a tree where I felt more confident. I will try to use it more next year. I just need to get confidence I guess.

3 things to consider. Try fitting in it and drawing a bow before you buy it.

buy it well before you use it. it has a slight smell you want to set up in yard and air out. I also waterproofed mine.

I would be wary of any place on public land or that has trespassers because you can not really lock it up.

I've shot a number of deer from the ground in years past. Used to try to sit next to a forked tree and built a little 'pig pen' of sticks and limbs around the sides and front to sit in to help camo me and hide any movement - it worked pretty good. But, I've also shot deer without the pen. Several years ago I bought a doghouse blind and had a very large bear in to 12 feet but couldn't shoot him in the head with the bow and didn't feel comfortable having him that close. Finally hollered and told him to get out of there. Luckily he did!. More recently I bought a ground blind that's shaped like a slice of lemon; about 41" high by 9 feet long. Very nice to sit behind on a stool but haven't shot anything from it yet. MIne's from LL Bean and probably somewhat overpriced. But easy to carry and set up. You might look elsewhere for another product to do the same.

Thank you all for the input. I am going to shop around and see which works best for me. I am nervous about the draw length in the blind. I have been reading the reviews on the website to purchase them. Seeing if people had trouble with them or not. My main concern why I wanted one, was bow hunting. I manage pretty well hiding behind things with the gun. I have had close deer using the natural blinds out there and not being able to get the bow drawn without spooking them. I am just looking for a few more options.

I see you guys talked about leaving it up before the season so the deer get used to it. How do these hold up in the weather? Where I hunt, unlike this year usually gets a lot of wind,rain and snow?

I see you guys talked about leaving it up before the season so the deer get used to it. How do these hold up in the weather? Where I hunt, unlike this year usually gets a lot of wind,rain and snow?

Mine stay up through the entire bow season and so far, after two years of use, there is no sign of deterioration. I generally take them in shortly after gun season starts. They do get to see all kind of weather and hold up pretty nice.

I have one that's abpout 6' in the center and 4' square at the bottom. Folds into a circle about 30" in diameter for carrying.

I've had this for about 4 years and used it as an out of the weather stand while I hunted from a tree or just on the ground. This year is the first time I actually used it and shot a deer from it.

Lessons learned:

Regarding orange, I carry and orange back pack so that goes on the ground outside as well as my orange vest as idiot insurance.

Be particular with the chair or seat you choose. I found out that when I brought the gun up, I had no rest because of the chair height against the window height. Had to take a long shot off-hand.

Expect the tent pegs to be cheaply made, buy better ones.

Use a pine or hemlock as your background, the blind blends in better.

Make sure you try it in the store, there are many out there and some are too small, some of the older versions even had a tent pole in the middle.

As Doc said, put it out early, but that brings its own dilemma. Sunlight damages the fabric or colors. My brother left his out one year and it turned rusty orange.

Lastly, dowmside, you don't get the sunlight warming your face as you fall asleep laying in the leaves.

I have one that I have used for my daughter and I to go hunting together. Now that she can do treestands, I havent used it yet this year. One of the reasons I havent used it is because theres no orange on it, I am going to get one of the blaze roof caps for it over the off season and start using it again next year. They are great as long as they have been there for at least a couple of weeks before you hunt out of it, and you brush it in some.

I nave one like you have a link to,It has been set up in one spot for 2 years and now it is ready to go to the dump,first year it changed to a redish color,after that 3 of the fiberglass poles snapped,this hunting season the stitching is coming apart.I find it too low to sit on a folding seat and draw and fire a bow,might be ok for a rifle.It does not spook deer,I have pictures from my trail camera of them 6 feet away bedded down.I would look for a better brand and one a little higher,with a better support system for the outer shell.

I have the same one CAM-O has they work great. Took my daughter 2 yrs ago and after setting it up had a buck by us within 10 minutes. The main thing is clean the area of leaves where you are going to set up. Keeps the noise down when the kids want to move around.

I will be shopping this off season for one. Thanks for all your input everyone.

I have this one, works for me. Field Stream Magnum Hunter Blind.

FieldStreamMagnumHunterBlind.jpg

this one is one that I Have likes from my reviews online. I like how it is much bigger than what I posted earlier. I think this will be better for drawing the bow back. Im excited to give this a try next year !

I several.. but I put up the bow hunting ones in August to mid Sept. brush them in and then leave them alone... When I take them out for gun hunting, I use my Bone Collector blind, keep the mesh up and just tuck it in on the edge of a field.. shot a 3 1/2 year old 9 point out of it so it does work...