pre-fire a primer/cap or not ?

132 eight pointer

First I have heard of that method, makes sense but then I have never had an issue with that type of problem. Typically I pop one prior to loading, but not every time.

It seems to help blow out excess residue, including, of course, any excess powder. Helps alot, especially when firing multiple shots during the sight in.

How the heck is firing a cap going to clean a bore out,If anything it is just going to put more dirt in the barrel.Take a patch or mop and clean it the right way.

It doesn't clean the bore, you know that passage through the breech plug that you can barely see through...it cleans(blows out) excess oil or particles that may or may not impede the spark from catching the charge when fired. Edited by jr.deerslayer

It doesn't clean the bore, you know that passage through the breech plug that you can barely see through...it cleans(blows out) excess oil or particles that may or may not impede the spark from catching the charge when fired.

Now with the 209 primers having a larger firing hole than a #11 cap I was thinking it may not be necessary.Probably better safe than sorry though.

How the heck is firing a cap going to clean a bore out,If anything it is just going to put more dirt in the barrel.Take a patch or mop and clean it the right way.

I snap a cap after firing, to blow excess buildup out of the breech plug. This helps with ignition.

As for the easiest powder substitute to clean out of the barrel, at least for me, is the White Hots. I literally just take a 28 gauge bore swab, push it through the barrel twice, and done. This stuff is so easy to clean from the barrel, it's unbelievable.

I "pop" a 209 primer in my in-line before loading.

May not be necessary, but a carry-over habit from my T\C Hawken days.

May not help. Hasn't caused any problems with fouling, so I'll keep following the habit.

Worst case is you have to put another cap or primer in.

My bigger concern is wet powder (pellets) on rainy/humid days.

Biggest fear is getting a great opportunity & all you hear is pop instead of all the smoke & thunder.

• Like 1

I will pull a load if i realize that I didnt pop a primer first. It is probably the single easiest step to eliminating misfires. After cleaning your rifle, I allways pop a couple caps to remove any traces of oil or moisture from the breech, then run a patch.

Then alllways without exception I pop a cap prior to loading, and between loads to be sure I dont have fouliing interrupting the spark flow. As well, I allways start my shooting with a primer fouled barrel, for shot consistencies sake.

I have never had a misfire since I have followed this routine.

Yes. I still use 11 caps in my MK 85 so after i clean it and greese up the plug your darn right I'm going to snap a cap or 2 to make sure that tiny nipple did not pick up any greese and I've got a clear path to the powder.