New AR areas in 2012

Dave

Thought this was just an "experiment" and "we have no plans to mandate AR statewide" Just like gun control, you give them an inch and they run with it. Now the opinions of some are going to be forced on all of us. I'll quit buying a deer license and go to small game only, not going to pay those jerks to ruin our sport.

• Like 1

And before it even starts, I'm not going to get in a pissing match with the pro - AR guys on here. I know how you feel, and if that's how you want to hunt, that's ok with me. Just don't try to force it on the rest of us, no matter how much you try to enlighten me, I won't see it your way.

Edited by Skillet

And before it even starts, I'm not going to get in a pissing match with the pro - AR guys on here. I know how you feel. Good for you.

There are a few here that rear their heads only when the topic of AR's come up. The funny thing is they all claim that AR's are the greatest thing since sliced bread and that there are many more big bucks around now in their AR units, yet I have not seen any of them post pictures of themselves killing any of these big bucks. And it's not like they would be shy about posting any such pictures either. LOL

Edited by steve863
  • Like 1

the only thing AR's are going to do is keep the big boy hunters happy the outlaws are still going to do what they do the government and DEC dont have a clue if they would follow the lead of some of the great hunting states from the mid west and make it manditory that a doe needs to be shot before you shot a buck and things along that line

Easy there Dad, careful who you call an outlaw. Please tell me how big buck hunting makes one a "Big Boy Hunter" Enlighten me, for I am but a simple truck driver, with no grasp of such complex issues.

I'm no linguist, but I'm pretty sure Dad didn't call anyone here an outlaw. I think he means that people that do not follow the rules will continue to do so.

And to answer about the "big boy hunter" question, I am pretty sure he is referring to the "big bucks" as "big boys", not using "big boys" as derogatory remark.

I guess what I'm saying here is calm down Skillet, Dad didn't go after you or any one here or any kind of hunter. Just stated his opinion.

Edited by SteveNY

Did the DEC say they were going to be expanded further next year? The only new WMUs I heard about were in place this season already. Is that what you are looking for?

Didn't ask this question to start any controversy just wanted to know what areas will be added to the AR next year. Specifically 4W,4O, and 4P. are they on the list?

Thanks

Everyone has their own opinion and their right to it.

Personally, I have done the research about ARs in the rest of the country, the fact is that they work. I think the DEC went about it the right way and implemented it in pilot areas at first and not wide spread. One of the WMUs I hunt has had the AR for 3 years now, it's showing its benefits already. The proof is there, it works.

I just think they should have done this 10-15 years ago.

On the other hand, there are people around where I hunt that use deer for the meat and RELY on that meat every year. Maybe there can be some kind of special tag for those kinds of families. I am no law maker, so I dont know how this could work or would work. Just a thought.

Dad 6424 That would be hard in the ADK where you are not allowed to shoot doe, except during bow season... Less than 1 deer per square mile, shooting a doe first would cut the population down even further. And yes I agree outlaws will still shoot what ever where ever, laws don't apply to them. Some area's in NYS do not need population control. I know area's in the ADK by town's loaded with deer yet other vast area's are not. Personaly I feel AR restrictions would help mature the herd but I am a mature deer hunter in general and could care less if I was not able to shoot a spike or four pointer. Most mature deer hunters do not need AR as they self impose thier own... I don't believe you can use a mid western state's deer management in NY too many variables. The norther zone and S. zone are like night and day...

The reason, I believe, most Mature deer hunters would like AR restrictions is to have more opportunities at a better class of deer, if all those spikes and small bucks are not shot, they will be around untile they are an adult provided the winter or yotes don't get them... If you don't think AR would work ask Mr.Dave Edwards about the AR property he has hunted. O yea and check out his dad's (Sr.)deer this year, proof is in the pudding... Both deer taken on a long time self imposed Quality Deer Management property.

But I understand not everyone want's a big deer, they just want A deer. For those I say AR restrictions would suck but I feel it would improve the herd wich is all I care about. I could care less if someone says they will stop hunting if AR restrictions are impossed, they probably were not passionate hunters anyway. If the dec said I could only use a Knife, I would be up next year in the middle of the ADK with a knife trying to figure out how get one... Some like to hunt, others love to hunt and then thier is me... Hunting and fishing is a passion for me, and to stop for any reason is unfathomable.

GETSOME

• Like 1

Personally, I have done the research about ARs in the rest of the country, the fact is that they work.

Please post what you found in your research. Most of the famous areas for big bucks in this nation do not have AR's. This is all the proof I need that bucks can get big without AR's. Anything else will most likely be biased. State game departments responsibilities are to control deer populations, and how many points a buck happens to have on it's head when it gets shot is of absolutely NO importance. It's only important to those who want antlers to show off. The DEC has said time and time again that AR's have NO biological benefit. They call AR's a "social" issue, and maybe someone could tell me what that has to do with deer biology?

Steve863 I know of one pic on the harvest thread of a book buck taken in an ar area. I believe it would take a couple 3 years to show what ar will do in a special area...Cant wait to see some 6's on that ar list!!!!!!!!!!

Don't hold your breath. You actually may not even see the additional 7 that is proposed for the Catskills next year. It ain't a done deal yet. Below is the reply I got from Jeremy Hurst when I wrote and asked him a few questions a few weeks ago.

Thanks for your note and for expressing your concerns. You are correct that we see no biological need for mandatory ARs. We have repeatedly said that ARs are principally a social issue. It was based on the level of social interest expressed to our administration, that our agency decided to continue ARs in the pilot units and to propose expanding mandatory ARs into several additional units next year. Before ARs are a reality in the seven additional units, we must propose a regulation, a process that entails an 45-day public comment period. You may continue to express your concerns to our administration, local elected officials, and during the regulatory comment period which is likely to occur next February or March.

Regards,

Jeremy Hurst

Wildlife Biologist

That is all fine with me really as i know there are less deer in the adk and ar might not worrk up there but not all 6's are in the adk's and there are many that are speaking in favor of ar down in the valley of the 6's so we will see i guess. Im with the other post that i hate to see someone give up hunting because of rules you have to follow but those same people would probably quit hunting for any givin reason. If you are a true hunter,You always will be a true hunter,No matter the law's!!!!!!!