Using grount tube or doe blet

sweet old bill

Most of the time these calls don't do a thing for me. However, there has been a couple of times years ago where I did get a look at a buck after using the grunt call along with rattling antlers. neither time did the buck ever come in within bow range.

Blind calling has never worked at all for me. Of course I don't try that very often. I prefer to just try not to be noticed at all rather than run the risk of pin-pointing my location for the buck. If I see a buck that has no intention of coming within bow range then I might try some desparation measure to try to turn him in my direction. But I have yet to have that work either.

Doc

Same here. I think they scare more deer away than attract. Especially, when the average deer in your area is only 1.5 years old. Probably scares the hell of them. I rattled ad grunted a 12 pointer in, in 1995 and he came charging in looking for a fight. That was the only time it ever worked for me. Although, he came in so fast I did not have time to grab my bow for a shot! 

I have had a grunt tube work quiet well for me, I find a couple of soft grunts help settle a deer down some times. It may not be an immediate response but I have had a few bucks come in to check it out. I do remember one cold morning of the rut my father and I were looking for a smaller 4 that we had spotted, we still hunted in, spoted a buck at a far distance, he hit the grunt tube and the much bigger 8 took off and ran directly to us grunting back the whole time. With every jump he would grunt, he covered several hundred yards in a few seconds and came into @15 yards. Ofcourse due to the fact we were in a hurry to set up I was in a crapy spot and the buck stopped with a tree blocking the vitals leaving me with nothing but a veiw of his rack. My Dad did manage to fling an arrow at him but he missed. We watched the buck run off and bed way far away on the other side of the valley. That was a day to remember. So they do work but it depends on the area and time of year.

Don't hunt in an area that has a high buck population, so they don't naturally hear rattling or grunting. I've tried it with not much luck. Out of desperation, tried grunting last year when the big boy was chasing a hot doe and a smaller buck away. Of course both bucks had the hot doe on their mind and whatever I was doing was a waste of time.

One unique thing I've found that works for me is to doe bleat after I've released an arrow. The last three bucks I've shot ran 20-30 yards, stopped and looked back for 5-10 seconds. Retrieved all three within sight of my stand. That short 5-10 seconds relates to a significant distance they would have covered. I'm sure it is not a patented technique, anyone else do this?

i would say 9 out 10 times i have used the doe bleet is has worked for me! i like to even test the water early bow season with it not to use it irregular but simply to test it and even early bow i have striked the interest of buck to walk RIGHT UNDER me. doesnt work all the time but i have had great success with it and it actually is a staple in my hunting bag. killed a few bucks with it that i may not even had come in, but when i used it some of them were like getting pulled in like they were on a leash...

I had one year a new type of buck grunt in my bow shop and a young hunter was looking at calls and he picked that brand. The next day was opening day. He called me at about 1 pm and asked if I still had more of that brand call. I said yes. He said his buddy was coming over to get one. The reason was he called just once at 830 am and a 8 point buck came in to him. The buddy came and got all the rest I had. Now do they work I think it depends on the day...

I have had good luck with all calls... Most recently the snort wheeze and Roar call has really worked on bucks going the other way...  For Me... ;)

what do you use the calls from M.A.D.? the buck growl?

they have great calls... i still love my primos Bleet Can

I have mixed results using a Grunt tube . The 1st time I ever used one was about 16 years ago . I had no idea how to use it and was just blowing the darned thing . I was in a stand in a brushy area of a fiel that the deer passed through . I head a commotion in the woods that sounded like someone breaking limbs and thought , no one else should be out here . I blew it a couple more times , heard some noise and saw a buck standing in the shadows at the edge of the woods looking at me . He knew exactly where the noise had come from .

I learned to be more cautious after that !

most hunters mess up with calls like the bleet cans or grunt calls, even rattleing becasue they use it irregularly... ive heard people doing all 3 at once for long periods of time and very often though out the day.

the key is to be sutle sometime, alittle goes along way. if you just grunted and you have a buck comeing in, alot of guys will keep grunting at him to ensure the deer comes in. That buck knows exactly where that sound is coming from and will either come in faster then you think or slower. ill hit the can and when a buck works his way in ill stop, if that deer turns as if to walk off ill hit it once, he will look back and chances are "Turn" or keep walking away. I hit it again and it strikes the interest back. its like a game. most hunters fail becasue they call tomuch...

I make it sound like there's a party goin' on LOL!

"hey boys I'm frisky"-doe bleat

" two guys fighting"- rattling

"who's in my woods?" - deep grunt

"help I'm dying!" - distress bleat

We have food (trails end 307), women (estrous doe -P), and guys that wanna fight (dominant buck urine)

and everyone's invited, no admission fee!

p.s.

you all know you'd come to my party if it was human things

post-10-131455314933_thumb.jpg

Ive had good luck with calls. I have rattled in quite a few bucks and have killed 2 with a rattling bag.  I have killed at least 5  bucks I brought in with a grunt tube. All them I spotted first and then brought them in for a shot. And Ive killed 3 including my best buck ever last year with a bleat can.

I have noticed this over the years ---Rattling is most effective the very beginning of bow season and then I get little or no reaction after that.

Grunting allways seemed to be most effective for me with a certain call (old Quaker Boy) and Ive had many that dont seem to work as well.  Larger older deer allways seem to circle down wind . I think too deep of a tone sends any deer but the boss in the area packing.  I think if it mimics the most dominant buck smaller bucks wont come in.  The Quaker boy I lost had 2 different tubes and I used the one that mimiced a younger deer.  It seemed to get a reaction out of almost any deer.

And the doe in bleat seems to work later in the season.  Nothing seems to work that good in the firearms season.  Only one of the above deer was called in during the gun season ( bleat can).

Also the hunting area is definitely a factor.  A good buck to doe ratio seems important. One area I hunt seems to have alot of 1.5 year old bucks and competition and the running of does is sometimes heavy. I have seen 3 bucks chasing one doe around my tree stand once.

Another area the bucks seem to ignore calls. I just think the competition there isnt as fierce and there are many more does than bucks. The only deer to respond last season was a lrge buck with a bleat can. And i saw him first and brought him in with the can for a shot.  It was Nov 11 and he was going through the woods nose to the ground looking for does.  All thee other bucks i saw in bow season didnt react at all to any call.

Its not an exact science so dont give up keep trying stuff and you might be surprised.

I think you are right and you got to keep trying. Just like using scents lure, the mfg who has a big deer herd said one time to me that it depends on each buck and the time of day, temp, moon phase etc. One day they may come to the lure and the next day will walk on by. Sound like using a doe blet or grunt tube is the same way..I try 2 or 3 calls per hour..