irishhunter

what animal would do this

Recommended Posts

went to go and do a last check on my tree stands a few days before bow season opens up and i came across a down dead tree about 15 yards behind my stand all tore up big time. im not sure what animal did this---a buck, a bear, no idea. there has been bear siteings but ive never heard of one being around weedsport ny area. plz give me some insight on these pics and let me know what could be doing this near my stand. thanks all.

20200926_171932.jpg

20200926_171947.jpg

20200926_171950.jpg

20200926_171953.jpg

20200926_171929.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, irishhunter said:

went to go and do a last check on my tree stands a few days before bow season opens up and i came across a down dead tree about 15 yards behind my stand all tore up big time. im not sure what animal did this---a buck, a bear, no idea. there has been bear siteings but ive never heard of one being around weedsport ny area. plz give me some insight on these imageproxy.php?img=&key=e19349f16091ac34pics and let me know what could be doing this near my stand. thanks all.

20200926_171932.jpg

20200926_171947.jpg

20200926_171950.jpg

20200926_171953.jpg

20200926_171929.jpg

Bear

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How long has the tree been down ??  If it fell recently, I would blame the damage on pileated woodpeckers...If it has been on the ground a few months.... bears...In either case, it appears to be a dead ash with critters digging for the ash borers...

Sure does look like woodpecker work, despite the fact that the trunk was obviously on the ground when it was worked...bear is a definte possibility, however...

Edited by Pygmy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys and why would a bear do that? How would it do it? Looks more like rodent type marks. It does look large though, too large for most rodents. If a bear was going after the log to get bugs inhabiting it, I’d think the wood might be more compromised from what it looks. I’d expect more ripping too instead of small shavings as well. In my mind there’s more information needed. 
If a bear bit or pulled at bark there’d be some scratch marks is there? Are they more rodent like as in wide, double teeth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

How long has the tree been down ??  If it fell recently, I would blame the damage on pileated woodpeckers...If it has been on the ground a few months.... bears...In either case, it appears to be a dead ash with critters digging for the ash borers...

Woodpeckers is a definate consideration 

Edited by Foggy Mountain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Woodpeckers make holes. 

Pileated woodpeckers shred trees....They are the size of crows and make chips that may be 3 or 4 inches long...

However...Due to the extent of the damage my money would be on the bear...

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pileated wood pecker. Masters of destruction. I watch them semi regularly. they shread a tree getting thier grubs. They dont just make holes, they furrow, dig, make huge chips at times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we've had the property since may and that tree was already down and has looked liked its been down for some time now. looked up that wood pecker and some pics look pretty similar to the log behind my stand but also i went back today to look at it and in some spots it almost looks like claw marks. so its either a pecker lol or a bear maybe. anyways thanks for the info and reply back everyone. have a happy and safe hunting seasons.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Porcupines don't work dead trees...They eat live bark, twigs, leaves etc....

They will chew on your treestand, but that is because they like the glue in the plywood, particle board, or whatever..They also  gnaw wooden handles on tools such as shovels or axes, because of the salt on them from sweaty hands...

But as far as shredding a dead tree, I would say IX-nay  on the ORKY-pay.....

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bigfoot looking for grubs could be more than one then you would have Bigfeet :bad:

Edited by Larry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Porcupines don't work dead trees...They eat live bark, twigs, leaves etc....

They will chew on your treestand, but that is because they like the glue in the plywood, particle board, or whatever..They also  gnaw wooden handles on tools such as shovels or axes, because of the salt on them from sweaty hands...

But as far as shredding a dead tree, I would say IX-nay  on the ORKY-pay.....

i didn't pay enough attention to the pic lol. id go with pileated woodpecker now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.