chacha

Pellet gun license NYC

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, chacha said:

hmmm so these kind of storage places actually exists....are they expensive?

They're your typical self storage companies.  Nothing special.  As long as you pad lock it up and enter and exit discreetly, I think you should be fine.  I've seen ads for as low as $39 per month.  Again, I'm not a subject expert on this since I don't use it.  Just only heard of others doing it before.


NRA Lifetime member.

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." - Native American Indian Proverb

"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am" - Toby & Eileen Green

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ChrisW74 said:

my application sat in queens PD for over 6 months with no movement, when inquired their response to me was 18 minimum was typical and my Vet status had no bearing ... that's when I canceled and started learning to shot a bow.  not sure if different stations handle it differently though. There was an airgun I really wanted but oh well. 

I did mine many years ago and it was pretty quick.  Maybe things have changed.  Not sure why you cancelled.  If it was filled out and sitting there, no harm to just let it sit till it got processed.

  • Like 1

NRA Lifetime member.

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." - Native American Indian Proverb

"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am" - Toby & Eileen Green

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ChrisW74 said:

My understanding of it: Pellet and BB guns also require a rifle permit in NYC. You need to apply and register it like any rifle with the local precinct chief, you will need a sponsor who also has a rifle license (to take control of the weapon in case you are not well) and the process typically takes about 18months (pre covid) .  

Can’t have a cap/blank gun for dog training in the city either. Just submit your permit application, even if it ultimately doesn’t pay off until next fall. The bottleneck in the process is their backlog of applications but it should go fast once they get to you. Plan for >6 months.  You don’t need a licensed sponsor but you do need someone to sign that they’ll assist in transferring guns if you become incapacitated or die. Guns need to be registered but that simply means mailing out the provided slip and your bill of sale to them and they forward to appropriate precinct. 
It’s a bit of a process and very frustrating that the delays occur due to a backlog. That’s something that can be very easily resolved. In a city with over 8 million people, these gun measures have proven very effective in keeping gun crimes low. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:


It’s a bit of a process and very frustrating that the delays occur due to a backlog. That’s something that can be very easily resolved. In a city with over 8 million people, these gun measures have proven very effective in keeping gun crimes low. 

 

BS!   All it is is a money grabbing scheme by the city.   Unfortunately, there are too many liberal judges in the lower courts for the NYC gun laws to be reviewed by the higher courts, but if they ever were they'd all be ruled unconstitutional.  No where else in this country does someone need to go thru such a process to simply own a long gun to hunt with.  It's ridiculous.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChrisW74 said:

my application sat in queens PD for over 6 months with no movement, when inquired their response to me was 18 minimum was typical and my Vet status had no bearing ... that's when I canceled and started learning to shot a bow.  not sure if different stations handle it differently though. There was an airgun I really wanted but oh well. 

 

One might have some difficulty purchasing a rifle or shotgun in another part of the state with a NYC ID these days, but I am sure you can purchase an airgun without issue.  How would NYC ever know you owned it?   Not telling you to do anything illegal, but just pointing this out.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, steve863 said:

 

One might have some difficulty purchasing a rifle or shotgun in another part of the state with a NYC ID these days, but I am sure you can purchase an airgun without issue.  How would NYC ever know you owned it?   Not telling you to do anything illegal, but just pointing this out.   

Since they won't ship to the city, I had heeeaarrrddd that you can order an airgun online and have it shipped to a fedex location outside of the city and then set it for local pick up.


NRA Lifetime member.

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." - Native American Indian Proverb

"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am" - Toby & Eileen Green

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChrisW74 said:

my application sat in queens PD for over 6 months with no movement, when inquired their response to me was 18 minimum was typical and my Vet status had no bearing ... that's when I canceled and started learning to shot a bow.  not sure if different stations handle it differently though. There was an airgun I really wanted but oh well. 

That is the whole reason for jerking your chain, they know that many will just give up and toss in the towel, that is what they want.

Same deal for handgun permits, they make the applicant jump through as many hoops as they can, the process so long and tedious most folks do not want to bother.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

Serious Dogs For Serious Work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Elmo said:

Since they won't ship to the city, I had heeeaarrrddd that you can order an airgun online and have it shipped to a fedex location outside of the city and then set it for local pick up.

I'm sure that would work.  Or one can go to a gunshop anywhere in the state, maybe somewhere in PA, and pick one up there. 

I've known some old timers that owned hunting guns in NYC well before the long gun registration law went into effect in the late 60's.  Many of them never registered any of those guns and I have no doubt their heirs are in possession of them today without ever registering them.  If you don't go flashing them around or cause crime with them, who the hell will ever know that you have them?  Once you are out of NYC no one gives a rats ass whether or not you have them registered in NYC.  NYC residents could even purchase long guns outside of NYC without the NYC long gun permit years ago, although it was technically illegal to bring them back into the city.  Bloomberg made a stink over that and now most places, even Cabela's in PA will not sell a NYC resident a long gun without the NYC long gun permit.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, airedale said:

That is the whole reason for jerking your chain, they know that many will just give up and toss in the towel, that is what they want.

Same deal for handgun permits, they make the applicant jump through as many hoops as they can, the process so long and tedious most folks do not want to bother.

Al

somebody I  know told me  he had to get a lawyer and spend $$$  to get a hand gun permit in NYC  he said  with out it you are wasting your time they give you the run around .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, airedale said:

That is the whole reason for jerking your chain, they know that many will just give up and toss in the towel, that is what they want.

Same deal for handgun permits, they make the applicant jump through as many hoops as they can, the process so long and tedious most folks do not want to bother.

Al

You give up, they win.


NRA Lifetime member.

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." - Native American Indian Proverb

"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am" - Toby & Eileen Green

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm sure that would work.  Or one can go to a gunshop anywhere in the state, maybe somewhere in PA, and pick one up there. 
I've known some old timers that owned hunting guns in NYC well before the long gun registration law went into effect in the late 60's.  Many of them never registered any of those guns and I have no doubt their heirs are in possession of them today without ever registering them.  If you don't go flashing them around or cause crime with them, who the hell will ever know that you have them?  Once you are out of NYC no one gives a rats ass whether or not you have them registered in NYC.  NYC residents could even purchase long guns outside of NYC without the NYC long gun permit years ago, although it was technically illegal to bring them back into the city.  Bloomberg made a stink over that and now most places, even Cabela's in PA will not sell a NYC resident a long gun without the NYC long gun permit.
 
 
 


cd6615c255fa0b8938c62a8a66f7fdc6.jpg
b48458ad57614e380de71864bf970dad.jpg

My late grandfather (Dad’s Dad) in his Bronx apt in the 1960’s. Lots of nyc indoor shooting ranges back then too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At one time 1800s 1900s  there WERE  SMALL  gun factory's  operating out of nyc  HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED  ,and many  public schools had indoor ranges at one time .

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
At one time 1800s 1900s  there WERE  SMALL  gun factory's  operating out of nyc  HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED  ,and many  public schools had indoor ranges at one time .

I have been in the indoor range (in the attic of the school) at my current school (suburb of NYC) and actually know the guy who used to teach the marksmanship course (or maybe club?). He retired a few years after I started and was a “lifer” prior to that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, steve863 said:

 

One might have some difficulty purchasing a rifle or shotgun in another part of the state with a NYC ID these days, but I am sure you can purchase an airgun without issue.  How would NYC ever know you owned it?   Not telling you to do anything illegal, but just pointing this out.   

getting a federal charge over an airgun is something was to happen and it was found out would simply be 2 brain cell moronic. Not worth it to even suggest the risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, crappyice said:


I have been in the indoor range (in the attic of the school) at my current school (suburb of NYC) and actually know the guy who used to teach the marksmanship course (or maybe club?). He retired a few years after I started and was a “lifer” prior to that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yep most the older schools have them, now probably  closed  off to public  built over or repurposed into storage space  . Shooting was way more  popular in the 1900s it was encouraged  back then by the government now we went 180 degrees  .

Edited by phantom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Elmo said:

I did mine many years ago and it was pretty quick.  Maybe things have changed.  Not sure why you cancelled.  If it was filled out and sitting there, no harm to just let it sit till it got processed.

Once I went Bow it wasn't worth the hassle. The local PD made it very apparent they intended to make it a hassle. My impression was (I may obviously be wrong) was that whole processes is designed to be a giant hassle to keep guns away from people in the city.  When I leave this state eventually then I'll get back into shooting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ChrisW74 said:

Once I went Bow it wasn't worth the hassle. The local PD made it very apparent they intended to make it a hassle. My impression was (I may obviously be wrong) was that whole processes is designed to be a giant hassle to keep guns away from people in the city.  When I leave this state eventually then I'll get back into shooting. 

You let them beat you.  You are exactly what they want.  Your loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hassle is the paperwork.  Once you drop it off, you just forget about it.  Then however long later, you'll receive your license in the mail.  Sounds like you had done or the work already before calling it quits.  To each their own.  Bow hunting does indeed open a lot of hunting opportunities for sure.  Especially close to the city.  But shotgun and rifles also open up a lot of others as well (small game, waterfowl, coyotes, etc).


NRA Lifetime member.

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." - Native American Indian Proverb

"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am" - Toby & Eileen Green

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ChrisW74 said:

Once I went Bow it wasn't worth the hassle. The local PD made it very apparent they intended to make it a hassle. My impression was (I may obviously be wrong) was that whole processes is designed to be a giant hassle to keep guns away from people in the city.  When I leave this state eventually then I'll get back into shooting. 

How did the PD indicate it would be a hassle? You just mail it out and the registration comes in. There’s no interaction with the precinct at all. If you’re legal and follow the law you shouldn’t be intimated by the process. The initial delay is frustrating and needs to be fixed. Outside of that it’s effortless and not a big deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

How did the PD indicate it would be a hassle? You just mail it out and the registration comes in. There’s no interaction with the precinct at all. If you’re legal and follow the law you shouldn’t be intimated by the process. The initial delay is frustrating and needs to be fixed. Outside of that it’s effortless and not a big deal. 

you live in NYC? Are you also in Queens?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, meateater said:

 my 2 cents buy it and keep your mouth shut . The hassle you go though to get a permit is not worth it.

X2


Answer to No One !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in communist NYC for now.

I own 4 rifles, 2 pistols, not to mention a few compound bows.

Yes getting the permits is way annoying but at least I have guns.

 

The only issue i have is when the criminal gets through my 2 doormen I have to ask him to give me 5 minutes to unlock my safe and trigger locks on each gun & then another few minutes to open my separate gun safe holding ammo & load up...

 

 

 

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.