brush pile fencing....

What a great weekend to work on the brush pile fencing....I was able to pull out enough blow down saplings to rebuild one of the existing fences to shoulder height....they work great to break my movement going to stands and provide some wind resistance and a great back drop for sitting next to while turkey and deer hunting........I have them biult up as road barriers and in the woods to direct deer movement and to cover my movement near bedding areas....they've increased my rabbit population and clear the woodland floor a bit..... to make deer movement improve..... the turkeys work those areas much more...... scratching for bugs

The only down fall...is it seems to increase the skunk sightings........ here are a couple of pick of a road side section I started a few years ago...now it is much more compacted and it will need a good build up this late winter and early spring,,,both deer and turkey movement have increased....this blocks the north winds a bit and they like the security from the road

Edited by growalot

Thanks...I now have several hundred yards of them around the property...being mostly wooded and having several acres of slashings...more trees now...growing up from over grown farmers fields....There is a good supply of young dead trees...mostly ash and young maples

Then we had 9acres logged so that gave me some tops ...after the deer didn't use them as much...I'm in the process of downing a section poplars.....hinging...well if they co-opperate...for a bedding area on a ridge we have...this winter has been fantastic as far as getting work done....just came in from taking down a few sections of fencing around the goat pasture...leaving road front and half one side up....once the ground drys I'll go in and pull post to move to another area to be fenced...then all that will flow into a long time plot.......seeing it will need lots of lime and gets a bit wet....I believe a few differant tests seedings will go there...slowly gathering lime each week...two bags a week till growing season

Yes it does break down...some years faster than others...last year the weather had all the fences depleted by half in the fall....but with a big wood lot I always have plenty of dead stuff to add and well as green cut from fire wood trimming and selective cuts..ie ...doubles... splits...today I just came in from cutting many mature poplars....hinging didn't work..... these were 12"+ diamiter trees and they fell hard!...by the way ....catkins were all open all ready.

As the fences start a slow decay...slow because most of the fence is above the ground able to dry out...it compacts and the more compact the better it holds up.....starting with logs like poplar or locust or even dead pine helps the base layer...every good fence starts with a good foundation.....I cut the poplar logs into 5ft sections..that size because poplar is heavier than heavy when green...5ft I can manage moving...those will be the base for the road side fencing I'm still adding too...then I'll add long younger ones I cut....hopefully besides making the fencing the deer will enjoy the tops...... the roots from the trees I cut will sucker this spring into a nice young stand of poplar the grouse will come back into

Edited by growalot

• 2 weeks later...

The 2 days have been great for cutting..well until winter hit again....I have been cutting mainly the poplar and then cutting log sections and limbs to add to the fences...the log sections are just a tad heavy to handle with out equipment...Mr B has been wanting forks for the tractor...I just may say go for it..I couldn't really see the need before it's a lot of $$$ for a big toy...lol...That mostly I'd be using...but it would certainly be handy in collecting then moving brush and holding logs to be cut for firewood.

Lots of that to be cut in the future...many double trees and dying ash...unfortunately a lot of dying maple as well..soil born fungus is leaving me with standing dead maples...and well the beech have the canker taking them out...I have two areas that mother nature is "clear cutting" for me...might as well take advantage new future bedding areas ;)

Edited by growalot

We did this many years ago on my dads farm. He always called it a poor mans fence. We cleared all the fields of the farm this way. I think it's great to see you using natural resources.( The workout isn't bad either, much better than a workout in some gym.)The rabbit population exploded in that area. We always had a spot to go hunting. Miss that rabbit stew, goooooood.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter