Dads christmas gift

Swamp_bucks

My dad was my hunting mentor.  I used to always wait to get home from school on opening day of gun to hear about his day.  Loved hearing his stories of his Adirondack bear hunts.  He only harvested 2 bucks in his hunting career.  Not for lack of trying but he wouldnt buy a good gun for himself and put his money towards the family first. Even sacrificed his only 8pt so I had a set of rattling horns which i used to rattle in my 3pt. Also making sure I had a great gun to start with a savage 270.  He showed me how to read the woods and taught me very young to enjoy the woods and the time I have in them. To make memories with the ones I hunt with because they will last longer then remembering the deer I take. When I was a teenager he got out of  deer hunting not by choice just work and 4 kids.  His big hunting love was grouse which is what got me into it as well and why I make sure I go a couple times a year.   Him working so hard allowed me the opportunity to hunt as much as I could.  

So I asked my mom to dig out some pictures.  I took my first deer and deer with a bow  a little 3pt,and my first gun/stateland buck a little spike.  The skull caps were busted so I cut them off found a muzzy broadhead which is what I used for my first bow kill, and a 270 round I had laying around.  Glued them all to the barn board box I got from walmart.  On the back will have the tags from my biggest bucks with a note on it as well.  

He was diagnosed with dementia last year at 58yrs old and is going down hill fast which is killing me inside so I try to keep him involved in my hunting as much as possible. 

20201222_234512.jpg

20201222_234435.jpg

20201223_182329.jpg

• Like 20

So sorry to hear about your father. My dad and I only went hunting together on a few occasions because, much like yours, with 3 kids and working insane hours there just wasn't enough time. Once he retired he immediately started having mobility issues so hunting was even tougher for him. But we made up for it by fishing! At least 3 lake Ontario trips a year plus the occasional salt water trip. We just lost him in October and all I can tell you is cherish the good memories. God bless you and your family

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk