New York Crossbow Hunters..

sits in trees

I think Chevy has a point, but not as many people as you think are this way. Too much negative wishfull thinking, provoking people to assume that ''most" are for xbows because they are "lazy gun hunters" that want to hunt in archery season. What makes you think the lazy gun hunters have the perseverance to hunt in archery as well as gun season? If they are what all you anti "anyonehuntingmydeer" guys say they are, then that's not what's going on here is it?

Keep up the good work guys, no wonder hunter numbers are on the decline, not even hunters want anyone else hunting.

i'm for xbows in any season that allows someone who wouldn't be buying a license otherwise, buy one. Which helps us all in the long run.

Like ive been sayin all along, Pass the crossbows, pass antler restr. open up deer season from Oct 1 to Dec 20th anything gos and let the hunters decide what they want to use. Instead of all this assinine bickering about stupid crap that really doesnt do anyone any good, especially hunters and future hunters.

Long bows and recurves should be outlawed and compound bows at least restricted to mornings.

Too many deer being wounded in evenings and not being found.

You must not be hunting them with a spotlight then..lol... sorry I thought you were joking because that sounds so ridiculous. I'll shoot with you all day long at 20 yards with my recurve and I have never lost a bowshot deer and I've shot them all in the evening... I don't think I know one trad bow hunter that isn't as good a shot at 20 yards as most compound shooters.

You must not be hunting them with a spotlight then..lol... sorry I thought you were joking because that sounds so ridiculous. I'll shoot with you all day long at 20 yards with my recurve and I have never lost a bowshot deer and I've shot them all in the evening... I don't think I know one trad bow hunter that isn't as good a shot at 20 yards as most compound shooters.

The ole "never lost a deer with a recurve" guy, and could also shoot as good as a compound shooter at 20 yards. Yep, that sounds about right.

Seems to me that the regular hunting course would be the place to have the crossbow training. You can use them during the gun/ML season without an archery license and you can't get an archery license until you take the regular hunting course anyway. Having it in there instead of the archery course would ensure everyone got the proper training.

Being from Pa, I was wondering if the topic of legalizing xbows is coming up for a vote for the upcoming archery season? A good friend of mine can't hunt (physically) with a compound but would love to get out there with a xbow. He doesn't even go to camp during archery season because he gets so bummed out. Should xbows be legal for archery,don't know. Should xbows be legal for people who are physically unable to use a compound during archery, absolutely.Most people who are physically limited are senior citizens, I know that my friend can't sit more than a few hours during gun season because of the cold, at least during archery he could enjoy it more and might get to get out there a few more times.It's pretty sad that people are forced out of the sport they love when their is an easy solution.

I still Don't understand why the archery class is seperate from theregular class. In most states there is only one course and it covers everything. I took a class in Hawaii and it included endangered and protected species. It seems to me that the hunting course could include all hunting topics and save on the paper work.

actually at one time they were talking and in fact they are still talking about the idea of a combined class for archery and gun But you know how that goes after all is said and done more is said than done. It simply meant you would leave with both certificates. But since there are mandatory hours with each class, you would need minimum of 16 hours and an instructor certified in both gun and archery or try to coordinate between two instructors schedules etc.

Edited by bubba

Being from Pa, I was wondering if the topic of legalizing xbows is coming up for a vote for the upcoming archery season? A good friend of mine can't hunt (physically) with a compound but would love to get out there with a xbow. He doesn't even go to camp during archery season because he gets so bummed out. Should xbows be legal for archery,don't know. Should xbows be legal for people who are physically unable to use a compound during archery, absolutely.Most people who are physically limited are senior citizens, I know that my friend can't sit more than a few hours during gun season because of the cold, at least during archery he could enjoy it more and might get to get out there a few more times.It's pretty sad that people are forced out of the sport they love when their is an easy solution.

This is the final season of the "trial period" for crossbows. It will still only be allowed during regular gun and late ML/archery season. Any changes will be made after the completion of the 2012 deer season, so you wont see them take effect until 2013 at the earliest.

They will probably open the Bow Season to X-bows in 2013 and then folks can quit crying about it . That is probably the easiest way to get hunting numbers up .

How would this get hunting numbers up? 99% of these guys still buy their regular season license and participate in gun season. It will certainly get archery numbers up by transitioning gun hunters into archery season.

This is the final season of the "trial period" for crossbows. It will still only be allowed during regular gun and late ML/archery season. Any changes will be made after the completion of the 2012 deer season, so you wont see them take effect until 2013 at the earliest.

Thank you for the answer. I love going to Ny to hunt, just wish they pass xbows for archery so my friend would come up to camp again.Hopefully soon

They will probably open the Bow Season to X-bows in 2013 and then folks can quit crying about it . That is probably the easiest way to get hunting numbers up .

Fasteddie, interesting post especially when I view your profile, you use a Parker and Pearson compound bows. Being 70 years old what were your views when NY first switched from traditional, longbows , to compounds?What would your views be if you couldn't draw back your compound?Would you give up hunting or would you get an Xbow if it became legal for archery?If you love hunting like I assume you do, would you forfeit nearly 2 months of hunting or would you own one?

According to the media guy (ottie Snyder ) from Horton , it will bring women and youngsters into hunting with a crossbow as well as give the guy who doesn't have time to practice with a crossbow more time to hunt .

Reference --- Whitetail Journal Magazine July 2006

Fasteddie, interesting post especially when I view your profile, you use a Parker and Pearson compound bows. Being 70 years old what were your views when NY first switched from traditional, longbows , to compounds?What would your views be if you couldn't draw back your compound?Would you give up hunting or would you get an Xbow if it became legal for archery?If you love hunting like I assume you do, would you forfeit nearly 2 months of hunting or would you own one?

Not absolutely sure what I would really do . I am now in the thinking mode that folks hunting with crossbows might be a big help . Women aren't going to give up their perfume , scented hairspray , nor their their cell phone talk . Kids will get bored and probably break out their electronic games after a short while .

With all the smell and commotion the deer may haul butt from the adjacent property and come my way so I am not against the crossbow hunters ........ as long as they don't trespass !

According to the media guy (ottie Snyder ) from Horton , it will bring women and youngsters into hunting with a crossbow as well as give the guy who doesn't have time to practice with a crossbow more time to hunt .

Reference --- Whitetail Journal Magazine July 2006

Bringing women and youngsters into hunting is a bad thing?How many people go out in the woods with there ccompound and don't practice?

Bringing women and youngsters into hunting is a bad thing?How many people go out in the woods with there ccompound and don't practice?

I didn't say it would be a bad thing ! In my opinion , it would be an advantage for my hunting .

I don't know how many folks don't practice with a compound . I havn't hunted with anyone that doesn't do so .

"Read my print" ------ I don't care if they bring CrossBows into the archery season . Got it ? I do NOT care .

I didn't say it would be a bad thing ! In my opinion , it would be an advantage for my hunting .

I don't know how many folks don't practice with a compound . I havn't hunted with anyone that doesn't do so .

"Read my print" ------ I don't care if they bring CrossBows into the archery season . Got it ? I do NOT care .

February 13, you said " you do not support crossbows" Then I bring up what would you do if you couldn't draw back a compound, now you do NOTcare about crossbows in archery. Well what is it? Still waiting for what your view was when Ny switched from traditional to compounds? I "READ YOUR PRINT" and didn't see a response.