What would you buy.....

BizCT

Lets see if this works...here are some land offerings "upstate", I can assure you the hunting in these areas is mostly poor.

http://www.remax-pea...x?O=Search&PN=1

Not talking about houses....talking about land only.....try zillow.com, type in NY under $50K and theres about 700+ pieces for sale in NY state, then sort by lot area, and check out all the pieces well over 50 acres.

But yes, I agree its a lot of work with no gaurantees. Thats why Im thinking NJ or CT where its closer to me location-wise and you can bait, and additional buck tags to NY.........or what looks like the best option is hunting trips. Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. Im off to Arizona on sunday for a mt. lion hunt.

Being a land owner in 2 different areas of NY now...paying CRAZY taxes....I would put the money in the bank...then figure about 6,000.00 per hunt...5 years worth...I would over that 5 year period figure what I would have payed in taxes for a descent hunt able acreage...I would take that estimated money and add to the 30,000 account thus by the end of five years...still have a tidy some to take perhaps another 5 years worth of hunts..or..... money to pay the taxes on what I already have and enjoy it more over the next 5 years....

Being a land owner in 2 different areas of NY now...paying CRAZY taxes....I would put the money in the bank...then figure about 6,000.00 per hunt...5 years worth...I would over that 5 year period figure what I would have payed in taxes for a descent hunt able acreage...I would take that estimated money and add to the 30,000 account thus by the end of five years...still have a tidy some to take perhaps another 5 years worth of hunts..or..... money to pay the taxes on what I already have and enjoy it more over the next 5 years....

Makes sense. Thats why I never bought land yet. Could never justify it. But have no problem justifying 5 hunting trips in 2012 lol.

I had a chance to buy 60 acres for 30k about 2 years ago. It was a buy. Had very little road frontage, maybe a 30' driveway width. The only catch was the owner would only sell to someone that would put it in agricultural production. Taxes were going to run $3600/ yr. The neighbor ended up buying it , planted corn for 1 year. He is now planting a new apple orchard on it. i find that a lease makes more sense, than owning. 30 K can go a long way. Own a little land, lease the rest. Grow your own deer on someone elses expense.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Grow what bank would you put your money in? Last I checked the banks are giving us five cents on the dollar if you are lucky, while charging 3-5% interest to borrow money. LOL!

Buy a cottage on the finger lakes fish & hunt all the near by state lands, best of both worlds!

Taxes on the finger lakes are unreal. I heard that the only lake in the USA more expensive to live on than Canandaigua, is lake Tahoe. My Dad used to live on Canandaigua, but they taxed him right out of there.

Edited by Skillet

Buy a cottage on the finger lakes fish & hunt all the near by state lands, best of both worlds!

Good luck finding that. I don't even know if you could get a broke down cabin with frontage rights (meaning house isn't on the water) on Honeoye lake for that. Go to any of the other lakes and you're prices go up by quite a bit.

Not talking about houses....talking about land only.....try zillow.com, type in NY under $50K and theres about 700+ pieces for sale in NY state, then sort by lot area, and check out all the pieces well over 50 acres.

Okay, tried zillow.com with your original required $30k & for land only (between 10-100acres).

Got 14 hits within NY and 1/2 were 20 acres or less.

Most were building lots.

One had 40+ acres, but was a wetland.

Deals?????