Dan Infalt finding buck beds

9jNYstarkOH

9 hours ago, phade said:

It has merit to some degree.

Understanding the importance of beds in going after older aged bucks was a pivot point for me, personally. 

I am still working on understanding that. I do love using milkweed on my way in and on my scouting trips to see what the wind and thermals are actually doing.

I am looking for points and beds on the edges of cover more,but i need more practice and confirmation of what i am seeing. I guess like most everything else it doesn't happen overnight.

10 hours ago, 9jNYstarkOH said:

Found this article on Dan Infalt’s theory interesting finding stray mylar balloons may indicate areas bucks bed.

https://bowhunting360.com/2020/02/04/stray-balloons-can-reveal-big-buck-bedding-areas/

I guess it's possible but as Roger Murtaugh (Danny Glover) said in "Lethal Weapon"......thin, real thin.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was just shed hunting and spotted a balloon, so as we are walking toward it I explain this theory to my buddy. He goes "oh you mean like that buck?". He was three feet from the balloon LOL. Who knows maybe he was wounded and that's where he bedded to die? Pretty funny either way9dbbc944115f331418c79600a8e3b887.jpg72e7250b233d361d4034345719735802.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

I will say that once I started doing this I've encountered more bucks and bigger bucks.  I still have a hard time pin pointing an exact bed and when to keep walking or hold up and put a stand up but I can seem to get a lot better idea where they are.  I dont think this works for everyone or every property.  I think it's great for really pressured public land or private land.  I think if a property doesnt get a ton of pressure you dont have to be anywhere near that aggressive.  

Just a different style of hunting like all the others.  I enjoy it since it feels like a chess match.  I've screwed up more than anything but I feel like I'm in position more to take a deer.  

Actually going today to check out a swamp that has held big deer in the past to see if I can figure out how to hunt it and where the beds are.

I guess they should be bedding on every part of my spot then . I find those balloons everywhere , the woods, the thicket , but mostly hedgerows which makes since as they land in the big farm fields and the wind carries them along the ground till they get stuck in them .

I did have a hot air balloon land in a field once as well .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This past bow season I connected on a good buck in early bow season. When my buddy came with me to help drag him out, I spent some time looking for the arrow. All I found was a balloon.

my friend, laughed then told me about the theory. Interesting idea. 

so later looking at my trail cam pics, It captured the exact moment I hit the buck and the balloon in the same image. 

EE51428E-E0B2-4E14-9B44-D509FDB314EA.jpeg

E2E36FB8-8593-44CD-85B1-D7EA3D143EBC.jpeg

Edited by Yorehntr
  • Like 2