Shop Projects

wolc123

10 hours ago, Nomad said:

Exactly, my nephew made a lot of money off that barn , it sells as fast as you can tear it down . 

That old barn wood is worth way more per board foot then new lumber , sell it and build with new wood and still pocket $$$. 

The new wood does not have the same "feel".   I sold a bit of the "excess", but I prefer to reuse most of it.  I had a couple of stands, that I had never killed deer from, untill I wrapped them with 3 ft high, 1881 & 1883 barnwood walls. 

I am also much more comfortable working in a shop made from that 200 year old American Chestnut, than I would be in one made from modern plywood and 2 x 4's.

I am looking forward to enclosing the back portch on the new pole barn with some more of that old wood.  That will include a couple big swinging doors with some big old iron strap hinges, that I picked up at a local garage sale.

I also saved many of the original, old iron square nails, and I plan on using those on the "new" old doors.  Those that were inside and in weather protected areas are still in "like new" condition.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Well, seems I was a bit off.  Just spoke with my nephew, he was getting $8-$9 a board foot a few years ago . Now he says it’s going for $2-$3.

Big companies came through and bought up tons of old barns at stupid prices and filled warehouses, now there’s a glut of it and prices have dropped .

16 hours ago, Nomad said:

That barn wood and hand hewn beams will sell fast . My nephew took down his75 foot long ,  200 year old barn and sold every bit of it, the hewned beams are used for fireplace mantels . The wood is lining everything from bars to Dr.s offices .

I have a couple small pieces left for projects .

I asked my Euro guy to use an old piece of barnwood for a mount he did for me and I think it came out pretty cool, if you like the rustic sort of thing. He said a lot of customers have been requesting it after he showed it around.

Edited by SilentStalker
grammar

48 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Friends of mine in Mayville sold their barn, the buyer had it dismantled and reassembled in Virginia 

My old boss will do the same thing as soon as he finds one with a tobacco advertisement on the side that is still in good shape .

• Like 1

My workshop project today was a burnt wood American flag. Came out pretty nice after I finally gave up on making the star field myself. I tried carving the stars with a dremel tool and I tried carving them with a chisel. Both methods worked but did not turn out as nicely as I wanted. Definitely a lack of skill on my part. Plus, very time intensive. So I took to the interwebs and found a company that machines the star field and it really looks nice. It will be going up on the front of my barn after a poly coating.

1616EF94-E288-436B-AC74-4F8F04CE2450.jpeg

• Like 8

• 4 months later...

I got one of these platforms up over at my folks place today, in a cherry tree.  This one replaces a very uncomfortable hang on stand.  It is just into the woods, on the edge of a clover plot.  This is the spot where I arrowed my largest ever button buck a few years ago, from a cheap pop-up blind.

It still needs some work, a 3 ft barnwood wall/gun rest wall around 3 sides, and a few extra braces added.  I will make another trip back there, with my generator, circular  saw, barnwood, hammer and nails, before fall.

The bb was standing right about at the front of the truck, when I arrowed him from the blind.   Mature bucks are a little too elusive for that, hense the elevated blind.  Also, I dont like spiders and a beow recluse got me bad in that pop up blind.

20210709_180924.jpg

20210709_180953.jpg

20210709_181030.jpg

20210709_181042.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I finally finished up the new platform stand in the small cherry tree over at my parents place today.  I also got to help them out with a little yard work and eat lunch with them.  Ma made my favorite (stuffed cabbage).

When I got home, I put up the platform for the second one, in abog polar tree.  That one is replacing an old ladder stand that was not very comfortable and lacked a good rest. 

The 3 ft high wall/rest/safety rail is sided with barnwood.  I picked up a comfy swivel office chair for the one over at my parents, and I need to find another for the one at home.

20210814_171714.jpg

20210814_171727.jpg

20210814_171654.jpg

• Like 2