Old Knife gets new furniture

So I am a big fan of DIY, and recently knife making has caught my eye. Though I'd love to try to make a full knife from scratch, I just dont have that kind of time. So I decided to update an old folding knife that was given to me when I was a kid. I'm starting with an old Puma SS lock back. When it was given to me, the lock back was pretty worn, it open and closed, but the blade could easily be bumped closed. I've used it for certain things here and there over the years, but I recently decided it was a good candiate for an update. First thing I did was take it to work and with the help of one of the Toolmakers, I now have some Mahogony scales for it, and also the toolmaker was able to reshape the lock back, so that it actually locks now. Here are a few pics of what I have so far. I carefully pulled the old plastic scales off, and used a smart scope to profile the scales, and create a CAD file, then the toolmakers were able to rough cut me a few sets on the CNC mill. Much easier than roughing by hand. I have the scales sanded and currently they have one coat of Red Mahogany stain on them, and once I get the shade I want, I'll coat them in clear poly. The knife itself will see a minor polishing job, and then the scales will get installed. More to come as it happens. Just thought I'd share.

post-415-0-81382300-1330198027_thumb.jpg

post-415-0-58131000-1330198066_thumb.jpg

post-415-0-87842500-1330198178_thumb.jpg

post-415-0-94179500-1330198200_thumb.jpg

post-415-0-52563200-1330198236_thumb.jpg

Very nice work, Lowrange...

I have the same knife, and in fact I dressed and skinned two deer with it last year..

The lock on my knife has always been touchy, even when it was new..

I blame it on the precise German engineering and tight tolerances. The lock holds tight when it is very clean, but it doesn't take much hair, meat or tallow to clog it to the degree that the lock becomes less dependable. Sometimes just a light touch on the release button causes it to fold.

Still, as long as it is kept clean, it's a fine blade. It takes an edge much faster than my Bucks and holds it nearly as long.

It's my favorite folder. I bought it for my Dad as a gift in the 70s, and then re-inherited it when he passed away in 1994.

So I did a minor polishing job on the knife, nothing crazy, just giving it a little bit of shine, just used a white polishing stick and a cotton wheel on the bench grinder. I have attached a picture of one scale just sitting on the knife, this pic shows 2 coats of stain, I put on a 3rd since then, and am now waiting for it to completely dry before I start putting on coats of poly.

post-415-0-03626800-1330281626_thumb.jpg

Nice job ! On the knife forums its called "pimping". I have a cloth wheel i load up for polishing myself,as you may know its the most dangerous tool in a knife makers shop, take great care doing blades on it.

Some guys make good money pimping knives.It can be a sickness for some of us. I took a $500 dollar knife I got from one maker and sent if off to a pimper for more work......

Well here it is. All done. Thanks to Larry302 for getting me some information on Epoxy. I think it turned out really good, for just a mild update. We'll see how it stands up over the long haul.

Enjoy!!!

looks awesome.