Follow the science

outdoorstom

I see it more as a "stupid" thing than an "agenda" thing.  I will define stupidity as a lack of understanding of science.

As far as the face masks go, I wear them only in places where they are mandated and I only draw breath thru them (nose covered), when someone specifically asks me to.  I only do that to avoid confrontation with stupid folks. 

That was the only thing that sucked (pun intended) about some recent "essential" air travel that I had to do.  Every 5 minutes or so, an announcement came on to "wear your mask over your "mouth and nose".   I dutifully complied, because there was no arguing with those stupid loudspeakers.

Anyone should be able to understand,  using science, how inhibiting the drawing of breath thru a mask is physically bad for you.

The real issue is not "agenda", but rather it is "stupidity".   Fewer and fewer have any real grasp of science these days.  For example, many believe that new life begins at birth, not at conception.

In recent history, there have been seven inflection points, resulting from a technological breakthrough, where the average stupidity of the people has increased sharply. These breakthroughs all reduced the brain usage required to entertain oneself.

The first was the photograph, the second was silent films, the third was the radio, the fourth was talking films, the fifth was television, the sixth was personal computers, and the last was the smart phone.  It is really scary how quickly folks are losing thier ability to think rationally, applying science, since that last one hit.

Another area where this stupidity is on full display is gun control.  There are many who believe that gun violence can be eliminated by banning guns.  It is really hard for me to believe that people can be that stupid.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3

It's a herd mentality.  Compliance is forced through social mores.  Mores determine what is considered morally acceptable or unacceptable within any given culture.  There are strong negative consequences for non-compliance.

The virus is 1000 time smaller and goes thru the mask easily, plus it pours out around the edges. I heard that a year ago but after reading a study like this you would think this would be the top story on the evening news to inform the people of this country. But the ones in charge don't care about the people. They have an agenda.  It's amazing how much pressure is put on us every day to 'wear a mask!'  I feel bad for the workers that are told they must wear one all day. 

While I don't doubt there will be some issues associated with wearing masks constantly, I do not agree with how they classify the job of surgical masks. They indeed are used in the OR in order to severely reduce the contaminates that can possibly come from the surgeon, nurses and surgical tech's mouths. I'm going to wait for this study to be peer reviewed before I pass any judgement

6 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I'm going to wait for this study to be peer reviewed before I pass any judgement

From the beginning paragraph of the article......

Did you hear about the peer-reviewed study done by Stanford University that demonstrates beyond a reasonable doubt that face masks have absolutely zero chance of preventing the spread of Covid-19? No? It was posted on the the National Center for Biological Information government website.

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Flying the last couple weeks had been brutal, the mask feels like it's sawing my ears off and frankly after a couple hours they are disgusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just stretch my complimentary glass of water and snack thru the whole flight.  SW stewardesses dont make you wear masks when you are eating and drinking.  Just take smaller sips of water, or more time between bites of snack mix. 

Edited by wolc123

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Flying the last couple weeks had been brutal, the mask feels like it's sawing my ears off and frankly after a couple hours they are disgusting.

Try pipe welding for hours in a hospital basement mechanical room with an N95 mask on !

• Like 1

While I don't doubt there will be some issues associated with wearing masks constantly, I do not agree with how they classify the job of surgical masks. They indeed are used in the OR in order to severely reduce the contaminates that can possibly come from the surgeon, nurses and surgical tech's mouths. I'm going to wait for this study to be peer reviewed before I pass any judgement

Isn't there a huge difference between bacteria and viruses?

I just stretch my complimentary glass of water and snack thru the whole flight.  SW stewardesses dont make you wear masks when you are eating and drinking.  Just take smaller sips of water, or more time between bites of snack mix. 

I've had 8 southwest segments in April and 7 were 100% full, it was awful. And that boarding process makes me glad I can't carry in the airport

3 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I've had 8 southwest segments in April and 7 were 100% full, it was awful. And that boarding process makes me glad I can't carry in the airport

Just 1 of my 4 in March was more than 50 % full, and that was the only one where I had someone in my row's middle seat.  It does suck when they are full.  Hopefully, it will be a very long time until I need to get on another plane.

I opted for business select seats and had an A1, and (3) A2 boarding  positions, so that part wasn't bad.  

I got a nice pic of Lake Havisu on my way into Cali:

20210418_163108.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Depends on mask type  distance amount of time  exposed to the virus you know the virus is blind and does not have a way to control its movement  even if  its smaller the  mask is like a maze of fibers chances are most the particles  will get caught up in the material think trying to throw something small past a bush . On a micro level masks look like a bush or tree with lots of branches on it . 

That story is just click bait . Also the mask  material is like a magnet or like fly paper its designed so practicals get stuck to the material .  

Edited by phantom

I read the paper. It is in a peer-reviewed journal. It is also an opinion piece, and contains some good points, some not so good points. Like many opinion pieces, it is not impartial in it's use of data. Here is one example for anyone who cares:

Given the fact that asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic cases is several times higher than the number of reported cases, the case fatality rate is considerably less than 1% [5]. This was confirmed by the head of National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases from US stating, “the overall clinical consequences of COVID-19 are similar to those of severe seasonal influenza” [5], having a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1% [5], [6], [7], [8]. 

Note that this paragraph references the same paper (#5) three times in a row, supposedly to prove it's point. The paper was published in the New England Journal of Medicine, which is a premier top tier journal, by a group of bona fide experts. That's good, right?

However, you need to dig deeper to recognize that reference #5 was published in mid-March of 2020, and since it was written weeks to months before it was published, that means before the pandemic went global. Which means that the data set is immature (and from China). The remaining papers 6, 7, and 8 focus exclusively on the flu, documenting that it has a severe case fatality rate of ~0.1%, which is well established. By including multiple references at the end of the paragraph, the author seeks to bolster their argument, even if those references aren't relevant. 

It's an opinion piece. Okay, great - but to ignore more recent data is favor of an argument that supports your hypothesis is deceptive at best. You may as well argue the merits of leeching for treating blood ailments lol.

Please note that I'm not saying they are wrong, I'm critiquing their choice of data sets and professional behavior.

Also please note that publication on an NCBI indexed journal does not suggest widespread scientific acceptance. There are a wide variety of what we term "predatory journals" where you can pay to play https://predatoryjournals.com/journals/. The journal in question does not appear to be one of these, but the credibility and weight of an argument is often driven by the metrics of the source - this journal has an impact factor of ~1.3, which is very, very low. It also brands itself on publishing pieces that challenge dogma and create debate. I wholeheartedly support this, but sometimes you need to suspend disbelief reading their stuff...

Edited by knehrke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1