X-Stand "The Duke" Ladder Stand -

Cabin Fever

I've been planning on adding a couple more ladder stands to my collection. I stopped at Runnings yesterday and saw one that looked pretty cool for $199. One thing that I hate about ladder stands is doing that white-knuckle initial climb when putting it up and the last descent when taking it down, while it's not ratcheted/secured to the tree! The X-Stand "The Duke" has an interesting claw/jaws with long cables mounted on the top of the stand, so when the stand is erect, you pull the cables (from the ground) to close the claw and grip onto the tree, then you use a ratchet strap to tighten and secure the top of the stand to the tree, before you ever climb up. I've never seen anything like this before, but I'm digging it! :cool: I might not be explaining it well, so he's an instructional video. You can skip to 3:10 to see the claw in action.

XSTAND Instructional video - Jaw System - YouTube

Anyone ever used this stand before?

• Like 1

I thought it was a great idea! I'm tired of puckering on my first and last climb in a ladder stand! I'm going to buy a couple of these in the very near future!

That center support for the ladder is different too, compared to other stands, and looks more secure.

BTW, after a quick Google search, these stands are cheaper ($199) at Runnings and Tractor Supply than anywhere else. I have a Runnings a few miles down the road that have several in stock, so I'll get there, instead of ordering from TS.

Edited by Cabin Fever
  • Like 1

When I am taking down a stand the top ratchet stays on the tree and I cut it from the ground with a pole saw.  I'm not dangling off a treestand at 20 ft to get a $3 ratchet strap that I replace every year anyway.  

Putting them up I put a ratchet on the brace and then one on every ladder section on my way up.  Then unhook them after I get the top one on. And then I always put a second one from the foot rail and leave it there.  

But this is a good idea for sure and def a safety upgrade. 

• Like 2

I stopped by Runnings thinking I would get one stand to start with. They had 8 two days ago, but only had 3 left today!! Decided I better grab 2!! The guy said they would be getting more in, but didn't know when. I figured that putting these together will give me something to do in the garage on some rainy day...

747-B81-F2-4-A20-4863-BE88-20-A3-F5-CAD0

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...