Food source in public land. What am I looking for.

oapiastos88

How’s is going guys,

Headed into some state land this weekend to locate some beds and food source. The area I’m going is pretty dense woods and I always wanted to know what I’m looking for in particular when it comes to a quality fall food source. Am I looking for any specific trees or shrubs? What is it that a good deer Hunter in public looks for and goes “ ahh here it is a good food source”. Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mast crops are a big one,mostly red oak and white oak if you have them. White oak is preferred by deer but those acorns don't last long on the ground. 

Beechnuts are good too but I think a lot of those drop early,not 100% on that. 

Another good thing on public land is browse,young trees from a recent logging operation regrowth. The first 5 years after the cut are best. That also provides cover and creates edges of habitat in the woods. Deer are creatures of the edge because of the plant diversity found there. 

Blackberry bushes make pretty good browse too,generally you find those in recent cuts too. When you are out scouting look for nibbled on tips of branches. That is where the most tender leaves are.

Deer also like apples if you have any wild apple trees on the public land. Those can be gone fairly early too,depends on the tree and year. 

• Like 3

Apples and oaks early season.  Any green browse or buds off trees focus around ponds and streams since there is so much diversity they will eat alot of the native grasses. Late season is whatever they can find. Last year I found a group of does and all they seemed to be munching on were hemlocks freshly knocked over from a storm.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oapiastos88 said:

How’s is going guys,

Headed into some state land this weekend to locate some beds and food source. The area I’m going is pretty dense woods and I always wanted to know what I’m looking for in particular when it comes to a quality fall food source. Am I looking for any specific trees or shrubs? What is it that a good deer Hunter in public looks for and goes “ ahh here it is a good food source”. Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oaks are definitely a major food source for deer. In particular, ones growing on a south facing, side hill bench. Another lesser known one is sumac. I have seen deer eating it many times near the end of October! I once took a nice bow buck, while set up on the thicker side of a sumac stand, that led to bedding. I was originally set up 100 yards farther away, and kept seeing deer in that sumac. I moved in closer and sealed the deal. 

Good luck with your scouting. And for the season as well!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Apples and oaks early season.  Any green browse or buds off trees focus around ponds and streams since there is so much diversity they will eat alot of the native grasses. Late season is whatever they can find. Last year I found a group of does and all they seemed to be munching on were hemlocks freshly knocked over from a storm.

Oh deer love hemlock,but usually all of it is browsed as high as they can reach.  when there is heavy wet snow they seek out the now lower hanging branches,and my first year hinting there was a hemlock that blew over,the deer were always there chowing all the needles off.

Along with the mast already mentioned, look for logging sites in recent years, where brambles, grass, etc. is growing up. Nearby farmers fields/corn, crops etc. Scout the borders of the state lands nearby for the corridors (and signs of other hunters old sites...they may be possessive. Waterholes, etc. No substitute for getting out and putting in foot time...Now, not later.

• Like 1