Ted Nugent ----- A Poacher ???

noodle one

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As disturbing as it is that a well known hunter as Tedd doesn't know the game laws of the areas he's hunting or claims to not know, at least he fessed up and paid up instead of trying to make excuses. I have more respect for him for that than for all the big deer he's shot. That was probably the most expensive spike he ever shot.  ;D

People who have that kind of money...$1,750 is nothing to them. They (or I should say their CPA's,) write it off as a business expense.

Ted Nugent is an artist. We all make mistakes, but to screw up that badly shows me that he has little regard for hunting laws or how important it is for him to represent hunters the right way and do the right thing, especially when hunting. What do impressionable youngsters think about when they see Ted do something like that, pay the fine...not even show up at the hearing (he had two lawyers there to do it.) He's a big shot and full of himself. Don't we have enough of that already in professional sports? He hurt hunting...badly with his stupidity.

The anti-hunters are grinning from ear to ear over this...he is the gift that keeps on giving to them.

Paying a fine and fessing up to it is nothing to him. I want to see how he deals with it down the road. I want to see if he can stand up and be a man.

That's what happens when we invest to much in our hunter-heroes. It seems to be a matter of time before they begin to feel larger than life and no longer feel a need to always be a positive force. No, I don't mean to make it sound like it happens in every instance, but it does happen often enough so that we always seem to have somebody screwing up and offering the sport a black eye. It's too bad, but it does seem to be some kind of basic law of human nature.

The good news is that the average person doesn't pay a whole lot of attention to these guys regardless of what they do.

Doc

The NRA has been silent so far with any responses defending him. I recall when pro-footballer John Riggins (a very visible NRA spokesman some years ago) made a drunken comment to Sandra Day O'Connor at an NRA dinner and the NRA dropped him like a bad habit. Seems they've eased up in their requirements. Antics like Nugent's might be reveled today.

Wonder what they will do about Ted, their latest outspoken spokesman?

One can be repentent. We all make mistakes as we're only human, but Ted is a little too much in your face for me. He's a legend in his own mind.

The latest from Ted...

"From Ted Nugent:      To my Fellow Outdoorsmen.... You  may have read the news that I pled no contest to two misdemeanor game  violations. I should have been better informed, more aware and I take  full responsibility. The honorable hunting lifestyle is my deepest  passion.

-Ted Nugent"

http://www.tednugent.com/

I don't feel this has set us hunters back a good bit.  If anything it  can be turned around to prove how difficult it can be to understand and  follow some of America's convoluted game laws unless you are a good  lawyer, or hire one to explain the regs to you.

Some states have  made their regs so hard to understand, I believe they want people to  violate them just so they can collect fines from you.

When you  get fined because you signed your license in the wrong place or the tag  wasn't signed within 2 minutes of shooting your deer, something is  wrong.

I hope Ted does a show pointing out how you can get  screwed by game laws, even when you believe you are following them to  the letter.

All you Ted haters and critics couldn't hold a candle to this guy's accomplishments.  Trying to make yourself feel big by dragging another man down is the mark of a man with a serious inferiority complex!!

I've never presumed to reach his or for that matter, other famous hunters' levels of accompishment... of shooting so many deer and goats in pens and then thump my chest on video and say how great I am. Nope, never have and never will.

Whack and stack hand fed animals. Some accomplishment.

Spirit of the Wild, ha.

Spirit of the pen. Spirit of the high fence. Spirit of the barn yard.

Sit up in a hay mow and shoot the pig in the stall. Nothing wrong with that. He bought the pig. Heck, he owns the barn.

If anything it  can be turned around to prove how difficult it can be to understand and  follow some of America's convoluted game laws unless you are a good  lawyer, or hire one to explain the regs to you.

Don't shoot a spike - not that hard to understand. One of the 9 original charges before he was allowed to plea bargain. He did not admit a thing - he was caught and then came forward. Kind of like when he had a son with another woman other then his wife in the 90's and ignored him until a judge forced him to pay minimal support. No one needs to drag him down - he does agreat job of it all by himself.

So you're saying you guys have never shot a spike?  Did he knowingly violate a hunting reg?  Did you ever violate a hunting reg without knowing?  If so, do you consider yourself a poacher now? 

And besides the hunting fame, you guys have had the same amount of success in the music business, are actively involved mentoring youth hunters, are beacons of hope for Veterans, deployed American servicemen and women, and are also board members of the NRA, with a desire to use your fame to enhance the quality of life for archers, gun owners and hunters all around the world? 

If you choose to point out the negatives of the man's life rather than the positives, you are the ones doing our sport harm.

It seems to me you guys have a strange motive for choosing your enemies.

Let he, who has no faults, cast the first stone.

So you're saying you guys have never shot a spike?

I am saying I have never shot an animal that was not legal to take - especially big game.

Anyone pointing out Ted's negatives is simply stating the glaring obvious rather then wearing blinders. His attitudes and self image are carefully crafted to sell tothose of similar mindset - not to present a positive image to support sportsman - preaching to the choir. We don't need to worry about the anti's - they are about 10% (same as us) and not going to change their minds. We need the support or nuetrality of the 80% who are fence sitters and among them Ted is not viewed as a positive.

I believe that 80% sees Ted as a curiosity.  They, more objectively, look at hunters as individuals, seeing hunting for what it is and hunters for what they are.

I believe many of them admire him if they are fans of his music.  Non-hunting gun owners respect him for his gun rights stance and NRA support.  Still others have heard his debates about hunting and gun ownership and respect his opinions and know he tells the truth.

His antics attract attention, but with that attention comes education opportunity.  When Ted is in the spotlight, he puts on a good show that is positive for hunters and gun owners. 

In this one instance, he fumbled.  If he was a quarterback in the Super Bowl, he would be forgiven for that.  Why not in this case as well?

He broke the law ....... he got caught ........ fry him! End of discussion.

The man has no more standing than anyone else. He's not above the law. If he thinks he is then I hope he is convinced otherwise. Do I sympathize with his situation? ....... no. If he truly didn't understand the laws of the state that he was hunting, then maybe he has learned something about what he must do next time he goes hunting. As far as his fines, I doubt that he will even feel it. It kind of ranks right up there with a very light slap on the wrist. Don't be wasting any sympathy on him. He doesn't need it.

Doc

He broke the law ....... he got caught ........ fry him! End of discussion.

He admitted it and he paid for it.  You want a harsher sentence than any other regular guy would get?

The man has no more standing than anyone else. He's not above the law. If he thinks he is then I hope he is convinced otherwise.

I don't believe he thinks he is.

Do I sympathize with his situation? ....... no. If he truly didn't understand the laws of the state that he was hunting, then maybe he has learned something about what he must do next time he goes hunting. As far as his fines, I doubt that he will even feel it. It kind of ranks right up there with a very light slap on the wrist. Don't be wasting any sympathy on him. He doesn't need it.

Not sympathy.....empathy.  I think any hunter can relate to this issue.  How often do you find yourself wondering exactly what the hunting regs are while you are afield.  Analytical review of his plight is warranted, judgmental condemnation is not.

Doc

Again, I have never wondered if the animal in front of me (Ted's spike) was legal to shoot. If there is even a shred of doubt, I don't shoot. Someone who has a national stage preaching law and order and responsible sportsmanship does have a responsibility to know what he is doing. Especially when he has a history of actions contridicting words - and Ted's is solid there.

Again, I have never wondered if the animal in front of me (Ted's spike) was legal to shoot. If there is even a shred of doubt, I don't shoot.

Perhaps if you hunted multiple states and had his hectic daily schedule you would get confused also.

Someone who has a national stage preaching law and order and responsible sportsmanship does have a responsibility to know what he is doing.

He accepted responsibility and paid the fine.  That makes him responsible.

Especially when he has a history of actions contridicting words - and Ted's is solid there.

Perhaps you could elaborate on this statement.  I do not feel there is evidence to support it as far as his hunting and gun rights activity goes.  If you're referring to his personal life, that is not relevant to the hunting issue at hand.