Can’t decide on a house and land or just a house

luberhill

Wife is retired , I’m almost there , no kids , home in the village on a 1/2 acre

Nice older ranch but very nice shape . Lived here 30 years..

I want to move either to a more modern newer ranch but with an acre or two or try and find land with a home , wooded , hunting land , like 40’acres etc

But I want to keep the style home a ranch.

I know prices are crazy now but we will be able to sell ours easy and get a good price.

My thinking is buy a modern ranch home in a nice neighborhood that has water , sewer , gas , cable etc but is on a big semi private lot .

That way if I croak my wife wouldn’t be stuck out in the boondocks alone and would be able to stay put.

Then I would buy a hunting camp with some land near us ( fingerlakes area )that she could just sell off if I die .

• Like 1

Good luck with search.  I’m looking for a house too, and banging my head on the wall.  I have been looking at the “sold” homes too, and there are some homes that are being bargained with, so not all homes are being sold way over the inflated listed prices.  I don’t plan to actually grab a house until the market falls out, or drops to more of a decent bang for your buck range.  

It seems like you have a plan figured out already though.  

47 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Wife is retired , I’m almost there , no kids , home in the village on a 1/2 acre

Nice older ranch but very nice shape . Lived here 30 years..

I want to move either to a more modern newer ranch but with an acre or two or try and find land with a home , wooded , hunting land , like 40’acres etc

But I want to keep the style home a ranch.

I know prices are crazy now but we will be able to sell ours easy and get a good price.

My thinking is buy a modern ranch home in a nice neighborhood that has water , sewer , gas , cable etc but is on a big semi private lot .

That way if I croak my wife wouldn’t be stuck out in the boondocks alone and would be able to stay put.

Then I would buy a hunting camp with some land near us ( fingerlakes area )that she could just sell off if I die .

I think you have a solid plan there. 

I didn't realize it at the time but my wife and I bought a house that borders a Power Line but is close to town and is just what the Doctor ordered (we're in great shape). Currently I have miles and miles of ATV riding and hunt able property that I do not pay taxes on and if the Power Line makes me sterile so what ..... LOL    Just a thought

Hi Luber,

You are older than me so I'm not really in a position to 100% relate just yet.  I'm getting there.  My wife and I actually discuss this often.

As nice as it is having property right out the back door it's also difficult.  Price for one thing, it has almost become unaffordable.  Then the up keep and taxes and finally, if something ever happened and your wife was left with it by herself is too daunting and stressful.

IMO, go get yourself a turn key ranch and enjoy it with your wife.  The extra cost for the land while sacrificing for a newer home isn't worth it.  

Hunting is fun and great but knowing your wife will be taken care of and perfectly fine is priceless.  

Good luck to whatever your plans are and congrats on the soon too be retired!  I have 17 years left but who's counting......

Edited by Taylormike
Spelling
  • Like 2