Hunting Partner Break-Up?

phade

I just wanted to say how much I was impressed with the title of your ‘Topic’ and the sensitive discussions I have read here. I am way out of your area (I’m from Oklahoma) but ran across your posts while searching for a bow hunting partner online. Many of your comments really hit home with me. I’ve been hunting since the early 60’s and still want to ‘hit it hard’. I’ve had several ‘Hunting Buddies’ throughout the years but health or other issues have taken them out of the picture. And, I’m finding it extremely difficult to paint a new picture, featuring a ‘new face’. I strongly urge everyone to try extremely hard to keep rooted hunting relationships intact, especially long-rooted relationships. They are HARD to replace because the ‘new’ guys will not know all the old stories and memories and believe me, that’s what it’s all about. I’m not trying to butt in on your N.Y. club so this will probably be my only post and for that matter it’s only the second post I’ve ever made in my life, anywhere. Like I said, your discussions were thought provoking, to the point of me actually signing-up just to share my thoughts with you. If anyone runs across someone in my neck of the Woods, send them my way (Tim 918-260-7325). I 90% bow-hunt but love gun hunting also. Deer in Kansas and Iowa (3 p.p. in Iowa this year so I will get an Archery tag). I love Colorado! And I bow-hunt in Africa (I have a fantastic friend in S. Africa I've known for 19 years).

p.s. And always remember the Curt Cobain quote…. “Just because your paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not after you”.

I hunt by myself. And Like it that way. Less hassle. We are all different, and have different perceptions of what hunting is about. After sharing a camp with a drunk for a week, I swore never again.

Edited by SteveMcD

Never had a breakup in my time. We have had our ups and downs but nothing to stop us from hunting with each other. Everyone has their opinions and wants to hunt a certain way. Live and let live. Hunt safe and smart, that's all I ask for. If you want to shoot a small one go ahead but don't preach to the other guy he is doing something wrong. If your truly good enough friends you should be able to overcome any obstacle.

Same here. Other than my brother who has been my partner since we started hunting at 16 the other guys have gone onto other things and are not as dedicated.

To me i enjoy the quiet time and alone time but it is a pain in the but when its time to do heavy work. Clearing food plots with a chain saw and hard work gets rough but the rewards are well worth it.

I can totally relate to this topic. I started hunting when I was 16. I hunted out of a camp that my dad had hunted out of when he was 16.

My uncle and two buddies purchased 135 acres that this camps hunters had always hunted on (back when you could hunt all over) and then a few years later my aunt and uncle bought 215 more acres. Things were great there for quite a while. My first few years hunting there are some of my fondest hunting memories. Me and another young guy whose dad had hunted there with my dad and uncle used to get notes from our parents to skip school to go down to camp to go hunting.

Shortly there after things started going down hill. A logging deal between the three owners of the 135 acres went bad and they all got mad at one another. This festered for a few years untill getting to a point where they weren't even allowed on my uncle's 215 acres. I got older and bought my own land a few miles down the road.

Now 18 years later me and the guy I used to skip school with hunt my land together quite a bit. That relasionship has had it's ups and downs over the years too though, due to beer drinking habits and marital status. I do know one thing, good hunting buddies are few and far between.

• 2 weeks later...

My Father was My favorite hunting partner, but He passed at the age og 85 back in 2006. He was a great hunter, shot His last deer at 83 and boy was I Proud of Him that day, I have so many memories of Hunting with Him that I often think of while Im sitting in My stand. Now I Hunt with My oldest Son and hope He will feel the same one day. Also My Wife of Many Moons is going to start to hunt with Me again, and hopefully My Grandsons if I live long enough. This is a great sport and has done much for My Family for Generations. Thanks for this site

Ron

• Like 2

hum I'm not alone. I had a partner for years we hunted well togather. I have access to a great piece of farm land,all to myself (ourself) posted the whole bit. For almost 25 years now. He had the run of the place too.Extra dmaps, a place to dry off eat lunch etc. hang as many stands as he wanted all for free .

Then he bought a few acres not far away, a camp, cabin all that. Never got an invite or heard from him again . Your welcome......

hum I'm not alone. I had a partner for years we hunted well togather. I have access to a great piece of farm land,all to myself (ourself) posted the whole bit. For almost 25 years now. He had the run of the place too.Extra dmaps, a place to dry off eat lunch etc. hang as many stands as he wanted all for free .

Then he bought a few acres not far away, a camp, cabin all that. Never got an invite or heard from him again . Your welcome......

thats just not right

I have had several hunting parnters the one's i dont see anymore are usually because they have passed away. I might not hunt with them for awhile due to their family commitments, but we always find time to slip in a hunt sometime during the season. The last one i havent hunted with in over 8 years becaused he move to iowa, i get an invite to go everyyear but find my vacation time limited, we still keep in touch via phone several times through out the year and everyone at camp waits for the night before opening day phone call and ribbing that has become tradition since he moved.

I too ran the gammit! I've been hunting since 16yo all by myself! Ten years later got a new brother in law to intro to hunting! He liked it, he's just not fanatical like me! We have a blast when were together, which is not that often! Its over 32 years of hunting with and without a partner and I am ok to hunt solo!

A bit of advice I heard. "I don't expect much, and I'm never disappointed."

The biggest problem I have is that nobody is really allowed to hunt with me at my private spots except the "buddy" that owns it. I want my own land in the worst way so I can invite all you guys over for an opening day massacre! Fuddfest 2012! LOL!