Prime rib anyone???

mowin

33 minutes ago, Chef said:

Do they sell hanging beef? Half’s and fulls ?

And yes it could have Japanese blood and lineage but still not the same..

Over there they give them beer daily and like rub them off a few times a day or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe most of the half and fulls are typical angus - I think they retail their wagyu - I actually can't recall ever hearing them do that for their wagyu. Steaks are typically one by one or two for strips, from their processor. 

I believe most of the half and fulls are typical angus - I think they retail their wagyu - I actually can't recall ever hearing them do that for their wagyu. Steaks are typically one by one or two for strips, from their processor. 

Not sure where they are located but I do a half every year and would be interested in angus or wagyu if they had available in the spring

20 hours ago, Chef said:

From my experience it’s not true high end places doing this it’s mid tier… and half the time it’s the fish distributor cheating the restaurants

What places have you seen this

I'll have to search to find. It was one of the TV investigative shows. They ordered fish and sent to laboratories who confirmed it was much cheaper scrap fish. And yes I think most of it led back to distributors but not all.

I've heard and seen the same with fish. I watched some documentary on sustainable fishing practices and I guess some of it is driven by foreign shipments of fish. When species get depleted the foreign boats and operations move to another species and then try to pass it off after processing, fooling even distributors. Seems like one of those rackets where the people who cause it are almost never going to be held accountable. Forcing US companies into heavier QA and internal costs, driving up the retail prices.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

Sounds like some of you folks need to brush up on your hunting, fishing, and meat preparation skills a bit, so that you are not so reliant on those scoundrels for your protein.

If one accepts the fact that venison is red meat, which is subject to rigor mortis, then it is not too much trouble to age it to perfection and get taste and texture that can rival or exceed that of that fatty Japanese beef. 

This right here would be about the finest tasting fillet mignon that I have sampled, and that includes that from a fair amount of beef at some fancy joints:

DB50EB5E-E6C0-4E42-AAE5-09AB7E8A2527.jpeg

81B5EC62-6609-435D-AA41-152A3EC3BB64.jpeg

2BF83ED4-234E-46E1-8C65-F364EDEF1DE6.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Haha 1

I enjoy venison from time to time - but it is not on the level with beef, for me personally. Everyone is different.
Agree a nice balance is needed. Always fun eating what we caught or killed.....but it's the 2000's let's be honest it's just easier going to the store sometime.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Sounds like some of you folks need to brush up on your hunting, fishing, and meat preparation skills a bit, so that you are not so reliant on those scoundrels for your protein.

If one accepts the fact that venison is red meat, which is subject to rigor mortis, then it is not too much trouble to age it to perfection and get taste and texture that can rival or exceed that of that fatty Japanese beef. 

This right here would be about the finest tasting fillet mignon that I have sampled, and that includes that from a fair amount of beef at some fancy joints:

DB50EB5E-E6C0-4E42-AAE5-09AB7E8A2527.jpeg

81B5EC62-6609-435D-AA41-152A3EC3BB64.jpeg

2BF83ED4-234E-46E1-8C65-F364EDEF1DE6.jpeg

Who here do you think is reliant on those scoundrels for protein? 

This thread had nothing to do with one being able to provide food for the family through hunting, fishing or foraging.  Just a hunk of meat I took a picture of that was a tad expensive. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, phade said:

I enjoy venison from time to time - but it is not on the level with beef, for me personally. Everyone is different.

Exactly.  I don’t care if one tenderizes the nuts of the smallest button buck in the woods. No venison regardless of how it’s taken care of or prepared comes close to some of today’s top end beef. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Exactly.  I don’t care if one tenderizes the nuts of the smallest button buck in the woods. No venison regardless of how it’s taken care of or prepared comes close to some of today’s top end beef. 

It may be safer though compared to what medications, hormones and altered feed was given to said beef.

I always look at todays chicken breasts and say there was never a natural raised chicken in the word with breasts that big lol. 

• Like 1

Thank you. I’ve said this a gazillion times and many people on this forum get mad at me. If only all 60-70lbs of venison tasted like bone in rib-eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

Thank you, see above

It may be safer though compared to what medications, hormones and altered feed was given to said beef.
I always look at todays chicken breasts and say there was never a natural raised chicken in the word with breasts that big lol. 

Only eat bell & Evans organic chicken. Once you eat it you’ll never go back to the crappy stuff

14 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Thank you. I’ve said this a gazillion times and many people on this forum get mad at me. If only all 60-70lbs of venison tasted like bone in rib-eye.

We're the same.  When I was in my 20's, I'd disagree with you. But now quality beef is preferred. 

I see myself in my grand nephew's/niece. They can consume a entire deer in a month. It's what I did back in the day. But as I've gotten older, I realize I like other meats as much if not better than venison. 

A slow smoked beef brisket/beef ribs, is on the top of my list as far as flavor. Venision backstrap is my second. 

• Like 1

I will take deer meat over beef every day of the week and twice on Sundays.  Most folks have no clue how to handle a deer carcass, so I guess it makes sense that they prefer beef, which has been handled by professionals.  

6 minutes ago, Shoots100 said:

After reading through this thread and salivating over some of the pic's, I went down to the freezer and took out a red deer steak to have for dinner tomorrow.

A young corn fed hind is one of the best tasting meats I've had the pleasure of eating.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

A to think some fool thinks a guy can make anything close to that beef with a wild deer by hanging it a few extra days. Venison from a farm destroys any wild venison and even tame hand raised venison does not come close to some of that beef. 

• Like 1

I eat a lot of venison and enjoy it a lot, but it isn't as good as a good beef steak. I enjoy it more because I hunted and killed it, butchered it and put it in my freezer. It feels a bit more personal and feels "earned." I also enjoy that it is healthier for you also so I feel a bit less guilty about eating it often. I am of the same opinion that I don't care who or how it was prepared or where the deer came from, it'll never be as flavorful as a prime cut of beef. Same with wild turkeys, I'll eat them when I kill them and they aren't bad, but they're no butterball...

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I will take deer meat over beef every day of the week and twice on Sundays.  Most folks have no clue how to handle a deer carcass, so I guess it makes sense that they prefer beef, which has been handled by professionals.  

Disagree. You CANNOT get the same marbling/fat/flavor from venison. I'll agree that some people don't like venison because it was prepared by some hacker with a knife who doesn't know what they're doing. I can't speak for the flavor of testicles and won't ever, so I'll let you speak to those uncontested...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chrisw said:

I eat a lot of venison and enjoy it a lot, but it isn't as good as a good beef steak. I enjoy it more because I hunted and killed it, butchered it and put it in my freezer. It feels a bit more personal and feels "earned." I also enjoy that it is healthier for you also so I feel a bit less guilty about eating it often. I am of the same opinion that I don't care who or how it was prepared or where the deer came from, it'll never be as flavorful as a prime cut of beef. Same with wild turkeys, I'll eat them when I kill them and they aren't bad, but they're no butterball...

We were at a wedding a short time ago at what might be the fanciest hotel/night club in Niagara falls, where beef fillet mignon was served as part of the main course.   There were some real steak lovers there who raved about how good the meat was.   Each guest was served a decent sized fillet and some sort of fancy chicken breast, which I traded to my wife for her fillet.  It wasn't cooked enough for her, but just right for me.  I have always been able to put away good steak/prime rib in quantity.  I ended up with 5 or 6 of those fillets at that wedding, including others received from friends who claimed they were not quite done enough for them.  Everyone was pretty full, by the time the main course arrived, because there had been lots of appetizers served.   We had arrived late, so for our appetizers, we had to settle for a big plate of bacon-wrapped scallops, that my wife had snagged from a waiter on his way to the dumpster.  She has always loved those.

While I did think the beef fillet was was very good at that wedding, and on par with that I have had on occassion at Russell's in Depew, none of those tasted as good to me as that from the 3.5 year old (est.), corn-fed 9 pointer that I had a few weeks later.   A lot goes into making deer fillets good, starting with what the deer has fed on.  A quick heart or double lung kill is helpful, as is a fast blood rinse of the fillets, during the gutting process.  Getting the guts out fast helps a lot also.  I cant imagine how the fillets must taste when folks have backed out overnight and it is no wonder that there is not more love expressed here by some folks for tenderloins.

They should be removed from the deer asap, wiped off with clean paper towels, and be placed in a zip lock bag in a fridge for at least 5 days.  I ate those pictured in that frying pan, after 6 days in the fridge, and that buck's stomach had been filled with corn.  I cook them rare, in an iron frying pan with olive oil, and no added seasoning.   The fact that I killed that deer has nothing to do with the fact that my taste buds react more favorably to it than any beef that I have had anywhere, nor does the fact that it was "free".  All of the best things in life are free because we all have a Good Father who loves to provide for His children. 

I am also no fan of turkey or any white meat besides ruffed grouse.  I never killed a wild tom turkey in the spring, but I have tried some that friends gave me, and found it worse tasting than store bought and farm raised.  The young wild fall hen that I killed a couple years ago was still not good but at least equal to the butterballs. 

We were at a wedding a short time ago at what might be the fanciest hotel/night club in Niagara falls, where beef fillet mignon was served as part of the main course.   There were some real steak lovers there who raved about how good the meat was.   Each guest was served a decent sized fillet and some sort of fancy chicken breast, which I traded to my wife for her fillet.  It wasn't cooked enough for her, but just right for me.  I have always been able to put away good steak/prime rib in quantity.  I ended up with 5 or 6 of those fillets at that wedding, including others received from friends who claimed they were not quite done enough for them.  Everyone was pretty full, by the time the main course arrived, because there had been lots of appetizers served.   We had arrived late, so for our appetizers, we had to settle for a big plate of bacon-wrapped scallops, that my wife had snagged from a waiter on his way to the dumpster.  She has always loved those.
While I did think the beef fillet was was very good at that wedding, and on par with that I have had on occassion at Russell's in Depew, none of those tasted as good to me as that from the 3.5 year old (est.), corn-fed 9 pointer that I had a few weeks later.   A lot goes into making deer fillets good, starting with what the deer has fed on.  A quick heart or double lung kill is helpful, as is a fast blood rinse of the fillets, during the gutting process.  Getting the guts out fast helps a lot also.  I cant imagine how the fillets must taste when folks have backed out overnight and it is no wonder that there is not more love expressed here by some folks for tenderloins.
They should be removed from the deer asap, wiped off with clean paper towels, and be placed in a zip lock bag in a fridge for at least 5 days.  I ate those pictured in that frying pan, after 6 days in the fridge, and that buck's stomach had been filled with corn.  I cook them rare, in an iron frying pan with olive oil, and no added seasoning.   The fact that I killed that deer has nothing to do with the fact that my taste buds react more favorably to it than any beef that I have had anywhere, nor does the fact that it was "free".  All of the best things in life are free because we all have a Good Father who loves to provide for His children. 
I am also no fan of turkey or any white meat besides ruffed grouse.  I never killed a wild tom turkey in the spring, but I have tried some that friends gave me, and found it worse tasting than store bought and farm raised.  The young wild fall hen that I killed a couple years ago was still not good but at least equal to the butterballs. 

Just a reminder Wolc.....nothing is in life is ever "free"!

1 minute ago, mlammerhirt said:

Just a reminder Wolc.....nothing is in life is ever "free"!

Ok, I guess I will change “free”to “didn’t have to pay money for”.  I see meat as a gift from God and a cost-free by-product of my personal entertainment.  

Most folks pay for entertainment, myself included.  For most, that don’t come with the meat that you don’t have to pay for. That is why you will seldom find me out on a golf course, but quite often out in the woods or on the waters.

This is it for me too. I am also not a “steak guy” and would select a nice stew, chili or meatloaf over a steak. As a result, I can get most of my favorite food from venison since once ground, it’s on par if not better (because I control the fat and cleanliness) than ground beef.
Wild turkey (except the booze one) and pheasant are nowhere close to store bought Turkey or chicken which is far superior….quail however are fantastic and kick the crap out of Cornish game hens

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crappyice said:

This is it for me too. I am also not a “steak guy” and would select a nice stew, chili or meatloaf over a steak. As a result, I can get most of my favorite food from venison since once ground, it’s on par if not better (because I control the fat and cleanliness) than ground beef.
Wild turkey (except the booze one) and pheasant are nowhere close to store bought Turkey or chicken which is far superior….quail however are fantastic and kick the crap out of Cornish game hens

I never had quail but love ruffed grouse.  Are they similar tasting ?

We also go thru lots of ground venison and my wife had been “spoiled” by it.  She gets grossed out by ground beef due to all the fat that comes out of it when cooked.  

I do spend a ton of time trimming the fat out of venison, before I grind it, especially with does.  I will butcher and grind another buck if I get one yet before Jan 2, but any doe will be given away for that reason.

I would like to get some more use out of the new $ 30 grinder knife and 3/16 screen that I sprung for this year.  It sure worked great on the 70 or so pounds of lean meat that I put thru it from that last buck.  

B2B1B947-8FFA-4654-9B66-BBA1B861FE1F.jpeg

Edited by wolc123