New reloader checking in

CarlosB

Starting with a Lee Classic Loader in .308. Bought all Lee accessories to accompany it for the most part. About $120 into all

Lyman 50th reloading manual.

Lee Perfect Powder Measure

Lee Funnel

Lee Case Prep Kit (cutter, lock stud, chamfer, primer cleaner)

Lee length gauge

Hornady Trickler

Case lube

Lyman Bleacher Blocks

Plan on using either IMR 4064 or Varget (these would work for other calibers I may intend to reload, 223, 243). Found 4064 locally hopefully still there today.

Plan on trying the Barnes ttsx 168 all copper bullets for the 308.

Also plan on a diy case cleaning regimen. I will be using once fired brass from my store bought ammo.

Just need large rifle primers. On multiple notification list.

If I end up enjoying reloading I'll buy new rifle in new calibers to reload for.

• Like 3

Be prepared to be addicted!!....lol

I just got into it three or four years ago Had a bunch of guys here with decades of experience give me some great advice. See my thread in here.

It is so cool to take a deer with a bullet you handload yourself!!! 

Best of luck to ya, and if I can help in any way, be happy to do so.

• Like 2

It is one of the smartest moves you will ever make, looks like you have a good start with your equipment. Remember most manufacturers reloading equipment is interchangeable with everyone else, I have odds and ends from just about everybody on my loading bench. Also you can save money buying used equipment off ebay as it is almost impossible to wear this stuff out.

Good luck and if you have any questions someone here will help you along.

Al

On 12/14/2021 at 11:20 AM, grampy said:

Be prepared to be addicted!!....lol

I just got into it three or four years ago Had a bunch of guys here with decades of experience give me some great advice. See my thread in here.

It is so cool to take a deer with a bullet you handload yourself!!! 

Best of luck to ya, and if I can help in any way, be happy to do so.

I see your in Rotterdam from my Ruger post. Are find primers locally? I've been to NY shooter supply, American shooter supply, upstate guns and ammo, and take it to the bank. None had primers in stock, specially large rifle

2 hours ago, CarlosB said:

I see your in Rotterdam from my Ruger post. Are find primers locally? I've been to NY shooter supply, American shooter supply, upstate guns and ammo, and take it to the bank. None had primers in stock, specially large rifle

Try Frank's gun shop on Rt. 30.

I have some to get you started if need be.

20 hours ago, grampy said:

Try Frank's gun shop on Rt. 30.

I have some to get you started if need be.

Just returned from Frank's. They only had a few boxes of CCI small, large, and magnum pistol primers. All around $99.99 or so.

I would like to take you up on your offer. Of course I will pay. If you have some time in the next few days maybe we can talk about it.

13 hours ago, Waterfowler said:

If anybody has small pistol primers, I’ll trade my large rifle primers. Preferably a 1000.

You really do shoot a lot lol

If you guys sign up at Natchez and hit the notification they'll let you know when the item's you want are in-stock. I scored a case of magnum primers for my '06 last month.

https://www.natchezss.com/

11 hours ago, rachunter said:

If you guys sign up at Natchez and hit the notification they'll let you know when the item's you want are in-stock. I scored a case of magnum primers for my '06 last month.

Signed up at Natchez, midsouth supply. Midway and a couple other sites

15 minutes ago, CarlosB said:

Signed up at Natchez, midsouth supply. Midway and a couple other sites

Took about 6mos, a few shipments, and a couple of vendors(including all you listed); but I still got everything to load a few calibers I shoot in the past year.

I only missed some Federal 215 primers as I was away on a hunt, or would have had that covered.

But you got to jump on it when you get a notification.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2021 at 8:10 AM, rachunter said:

Magnum primers for an '06?  Can you explain why not using LR primers?

26 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

Magnum primers for an '06?  Can you explain why not using LR primers?

I reload with H414 powder and used to us Speer hot core bullets.Which recommends using magnum primers.When i switched to Sierra and Nosler I just keep using them.My preferred powder is H4350 but it got hard to find so i switched.I believe some of the books also recommend it for my 22-250 but i didn't like the results of that powder in that gun.

• Thanks 1

If you find powder/ primers, do not delay...buy the moment you find them. I would also recommend a good pair of steel vernier calipers.

My preference, and the Lyman book is good for the reloading details, but I would pick up a current RCBS reloading manual...I think they are much better with the current loadings/ component details. You dont mention what your round purpose is ....target, hunting...

For deer hunting, I have had excellent long term results with the Speer 165 grain Hotcore. Out to 200 yards (my maximum club range) it has all the accuracy I would want, and has cleanly taken deer at that range, though most of my north woods hunting distance is closer to 50-75 yards max. 

1 hour ago, Daveboone said:

If you find powder/ primers, do not delay...buy the moment you find them. I would also recommend a good pair of steel vernier calipers.

My preference, and the Lyman book is good for the reloading details, but I would pick up a current RCBS reloading manual...I think they are much better with the current loadings/ component details. You dont mention what your round purpose is ....target, hunting...

For deer hunting, I have had excellent long term results with the Speer 165 grain Hotcore. Out to 200 yards (my maximum club range) it has all the accuracy I would want, and has cleanly taken deer at that range, though most of my north woods hunting distance is closer to 50-75 yards max. 

Deer hunting is my focus. I anticipate shots being under 100yds, probably well under. 

I am rethinking my bullet selection though. Checking the Barnes website it seems like the all copper bullets need more speed compared to conventional bullets.

I'm shooting out of a Rem 783 with 16.5 inch barrel. Looking at the Lyman data for TC Contender/Encore pistols (15 inch barrels) vs. the regular data, equivalent bullets/weights show a 300 to 400 fps reduction out of the TC.

The regular Lyman data vs. Barnes data is 100 to 150 fps less than the Barnes info on average.

So I would be looking at 400 to 500 fps less on a average out of my rifle. Is that considered a large drop? It feels like it to me but I don't know. My concern is expansion of the all copper bullets. It seems the internet suggest going a few steps light in bullet selection vs what you would use in lead core bullets.

Any thoughts?

14 minutes ago, CarlosB said:

Deer hunting is my focus. I anticipate shots being under 100yds, probably well under. 

I am rethinking my bullet selection though. Checking the Barnes website it seems like the all copper bullets need more speed compared to conventional bullets.

I'm shooting out of a Rem 783 with 16.5 inch barrel. Looking at the Lyman data for TC Contender/Encore pistols (15 inch barrels) vs. the regular data, equivalent bullets/weights show a 300 to 400 fps reduction out of the TC.

The regular Lyman data vs. Barnes data is 100 to 150 fps less than the Barnes info on average.

So I would be looking at 400 to 500 fps less on a average out of my rifle. Is that considered a large drop? It feels like it to me but I don't know. My concern is expansion of the all copper bullets. It seems the internet suggest going a few steps light in bullet selection vs what you would use in lead core bullets.

Any thoughts?

From your first post you are shooting a .308, considering Barnes full copper bullets, and plan on a diy case cleaning regimen. 

Your .308 has a carbine length barrel so you will lose some FPS; but not enough to factor in to your reloads, IMO.You will not have any noticeable performance difference and more importantly the deer won't. 

I would not opt for the Barnes bullets.  All copper bullets came about because of CA law to save the Condor. This did not change the game for the better.  Recommend using traditional lead/copper jacket bullets from Nosler, Speer, Hornady, etc. 

Regarding your DIY case cleaning regimen, cleaning your brass cases you need to use products intended for this purpose.  Household brass cleaners contain chemicals that will weaken your cases.

Lastly, always start with the minimum charge loads and work up looking for pressure signs.

• Like 2

Was real nice meeting you Carlos! And thank you for the 22lr ammo!

Until you have a case cleaning system down, since we live fairly close, I'd be happy to clean up whatever you have.

Also would recommend a lead\copper bullet like the Nosler BT or something similar. 

Barrel length and powder burn rate speeds are the major contributing factors to bullet velocity. Slower burn rate powders do best in long barrels where they will burn completely and efficiently. A short barrel is the opposite, a powder with a faster burn rate will give the best efficiency and velocity. A 26 inch barrel was the standard used to give published inflated factory ammo velocities. Depending on the cartridge 50 to 25 feet per second is lost for each inch less than the 26 inch so called standard.

4064 is a medium burn rate powder and should work ok in a short barrel. As for traditional lead core bullets I feel that the Hornady interlocks are pretty darn good but there are other good ones available, a 150 gr should give everything you need for killing performance and accuracy with a bit of load development.

Al

• Like 1

Yep, I tend to agree...the Barnes are supposed to be good bullets, but are built for a specific purpose/situation. It doesnt take a lot to kill a white tail...just put the bullet in the boiler maker. I have used W748 for many years. It is designed for medium to small calibers in med. capacity cases, and gives good service. I shot it out of my 18 1/2 inch Ruger bolt for many years with very good performance...those short barrels just invariably give you a big muzzle flash which is very distracting in low light conditions. At your moderate distances, 100 yards or so you will not have any performance issues. 

Most shooters dont get into chronographing, but with reloading I find it an invaluable tool to really learn what my rounds are doing, esp. finding out what powders/rounds shoot the most consistently. 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 11:48 AM, grampy said:

Was real nice meeting you Carlos! And thank you for the 22lr ammo!

Until you have a case cleaning system down, since we live fairly close, I'd be happy to clean up whatever you have.

Also would recommend a lead\copper bullet like the Nosler BT or something similar. 

Appreciate the offer. Just picked up a small kit. Hope to set it up an run it this weekend.

51qnya9h6kL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1