Venison Jerky

NYBowhunter

My wife bought me a slicer so I see some more jerky in my future. I typically smoke mine but will use the oven if in a hurry. Not a huge fan of the dehydrator anymore, just takes 3 times longer to get the same results I feel. The smoker is my preferred method now.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I’ve used the oven before but it takes a long time. This will make it a lot shorter. I haven’t gotten into smoking yet. Sounds like another expensive hobby.
Really? I think the oven is the fastest method? It's generally done in 2 hours for me. Depends on thickness obviously but it seemed fast compared to the others. You can pick up a 30" electric smoker for about $200 and it's really easy to use. Plus you'll find yourself using it for a lot of things, not just jerky.

Really? I think the oven is the fastest method? It's generally done in 2 hours for me. Depends on thickness obviously but it seemed fast compared to the others. You can pick up a 30" electric smoker for about $200 and it's really easy to use. Plus you'll find yourself using it for a lot of things, not just jerky.

Last time I used the oven it was probably 10-12 hours. I put it on the lowest temp and leave the door cracked with a wooden spoon. It turned out perfect but good god that was a long time.

This dehydrator is suppose to be 5 hours at 155 degrees for all 7 racks.

If I try a smoker an electric is how I would start. From what I’ve read and seen a propane system takes way to much fidgeting the entire time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last time I used the oven it was probably 10-12 hours. I put it on the lowest temp and leave the door cracked with a wooden spoon. It turned out perfect but good god that was a long time.

This dehydrator is suppose to be 5 hours at 155 degrees for all 7 racks.

If I try a smoker an electric is how I would start. From what I’ve read and seen a propane system takes way to much fidgeting the entire time.

Yea the charcoal and propane take a lot more babysitting and trial and error. I set mine to temp, set the digital timer and it shuts itself off when it's done if need be, real easy. Wow, I've used the same method in my oven and I don't ever recall it taking more than 3 hours at 180°ish. My dehydrator is old now but that's the part I hated about it was that it took 10-12 hrs to finish and you had to rotate trays every few hours and then keep checking it toward the end so I had to have a plan to get it done properly. I generally smoke mine in about 2.5-3 hours also, so it's a quick ordeal.

8 hours ago, chrisw said:

My wife bought me a slicer so I see some more jerky in my future. I typically smoke mine but will use the oven if in a hurry. Not a huge fan of the dehydrator anymore, just takes 3 times longer to get the same results I feel. The smoker is my preferred method now.

A dehydrator takes 4 hours , theres no way you're making jerky in an hour and a half in the oven.

A dehydrator takes 4 hours , theres no way you're making jerky in an hour and a half in the oven.
Apparently I've never made jerky in the oven then... I'm telling you I've set the oven to 200° and it's done in 2 hours or less. I would never bother cooking jerky in the oven for 4-6 hours. Try it and tell me that it's not possible then...

1 minute ago, chrisw said:

Apparently I've never made jerky in the oven then... I'm telling you I've set the oven to 200° and it's done in 2 hours or less. I would never bother cooking jerky in the oven for 4-6 hours. Try it and tell me that it's not possible then...

I have a gas oven ,the entire house smells like gas from the oven cycling on and off . I bought a good dehydrator so there is zero maintenance,  no moving trays around.

I have a gas oven ,the entire house smells like gas from the oven cycling on and off . I bought a good dehydrator so there is zero maintenance,  no moving trays around.
My oven is gas also, I don't get any gas smell from mine. I much prefer mine in the smoker so I doubt I'll ever use a dehydrator again.

I don’t think I had the oven temp at 200 when I did it so there’s a big difference there. I always put it as low as it would go so maybe around 150-160. That could be the reason for the time difference. I also never remember smelling gas from doing it that way.

4fc1ef84e106284305c07cd052608241.jpg
Don’t get this POS electric smoker…used it three or four times then refused to turn on. Finally got around to tinkering with it as per some utube hacks during this holiday break to no success. Thankfully I picked it up from HD on a deep discount but now I’m back in the market for another electric smoker. Propane is hard to get good smoke and low temp I have found

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crappyice said:

4fc1ef84e106284305c07cd052608241.jpg
Don’t get this POS electric smoker…used it three or four times then refused to turn on. Finally got around to tinkering with it as per some utube hacks during this holiday break to no success. Thankfully I picked it up from HD on a deep discount but now I’m back in the market for another electric smoker. Propane is hard to get good smoke and low temp I have found

I had the same one, got three smokes out of it. I googled it and found that its a total POS and cant be repaired