season opener

Danny

your doing something wrong. Wild turk is some of the best game meat out there?

Definitely - always get rave reviews and I'm not a good cook. Although, I definitely think fall birds taste better than spring - a little nutty flavor.

I have had them done in a roaster bag seasoned up, till they were falling apart and heard no complaints.Will be heading north for a week or so this Friday so I plan on early morning hunts and cabin work the rest of the day. Good luck everyone and be safe.

I heard one gobble at 100 yards or less at 8:50 this am, that was all. Light rain, slight fog that cleared. It wasnt too bad. As i left that spot at 9:30 i bumped a bird still on the roost, not sure if that was due to the other hunter in my area or some other reason. Went to another spot and saw a long beard with two jakes in a recently fitted field and were non-responsive to a couple yelps..... wonder what they are doing together?

Sounds like a good morning TrevofG. My blind was set up by 5:15 am. Light rain to drizzle. Already getting light. At 5:40 all h ... broke loose. Somebody east of me pumped off 15 shots. If they hit anything, can't be much left to that bird. Wonder if their was 3 of them shooting at a coyote. Dang, Shots all over the place. You wonder how many connected. Never heard this on opener of turkey before. Deer were out in groves in this area.(9f) Got busted going in., boy do I hate that. Seen a nice fox, and a small coyote, that's all.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

i took a big tom at 9:25 this am, called 3 in from quite a distance away took about an hour and they surprised me when they walked into the field but only the biggest was headin for the decoys so figured he was boss, after a big gobble i took him down 1in spurs, 10 in beard, 24.3lbs. im definitely glad i did take the day off even tho the first few hours were pretty quiet.

Sounds like a good morning TrevofG. My blind was set up by 5:15 am. Light rain to drizzle. Already getting light. At 5:40 all h ... broke loose. Somebody east of me pumped off 15 shots. If they hit anything, can't be much left to that bird. Wonder if their was 3 of them shooting at a coyote. Dang, Shots all over the place. You wonder how many connected. Never heard this on opener of turkey before. Deer were out in groves in this area.(9f) Got busted going in., boy do I hate that. Seen a nice fox, and a small coyote, that's all.

Weird! I wonder if they were 'newbies' to spring hunting and maybe thought you do it like you do in the fall-- bust the flock? I know some guys in this area (reg. 9) use shots at the ground in the fall to bust a flock.

Congrats to the bird harvests. Nice 24 lb bird stubbz. That is huge. Seen the pics on other thread.

thanks he was a monster n i couldnt b happier with it, almost thought the morning was going to be a bust, i think i even dozed off for 20 minutes in my blind after it being so quiet and being out since 5:30. heard a gobble way off so called a little, 10 minutes later heard another gobble lil closer n about 20 minutes later they walked into the field right in front of me. when the boss let out a huge gobble right in front of me i was grinnin from ear to ear then i dropped him lol