Jump to content

Proposed crossbow legislation for 2022


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Belo said:

the state's shitty policies with criminals, guns, social programs, covid etc. have nothing to do with deer regulations. One issue or gripe with a law doesn't mean you can disregard others. "Sorry officer I looted this liquor store because I was mad that a cop shot a black man"... that doesn't slide with most of us right?

Point again, we all know poaching happens. Most of us might look the other way here and there for the right guy down on his luck trying to put meat on the table, but that is rare in NY. Saying it's ok on a public forum is different. Dudes in africa are super poor, so who cares if they're poaching rhinos for money right? bear gall bladders can make a poor man rich too. What if that poached buck was a trophy? What if they trespassed on your land to poach that doe? The list goes on and on and on. 

That won’t happen on these lands I can promise you that. It’s all about taking care of your own. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Belo said:

so now it's not about the price of meat, but it's because they have to pay 10-15 grand in taxes, so they should be able to do as you please? Which one is it? Poor people sympathy or rich people rights? Can these guys host their own dangerous games too because of those taxes? Which is nothing compared to what some of us pay btw.

Exactly.  So you do you and worry not what others do. You want to let someone shit on something of yours then that’s on you. Others will do what it takes to take care of theirs and their own. If it takes breaking the laws of some idiot in a tie that’s never been in the woods then I can promise you they are ready for any repercussions from such actions. 80’year old bow hunting landowner that has paid taxes on his property his whole life and can no longer pull back a bow wants to take his crossbow on his own property every day of the week…You won’t see me looking to call the Belo cops on him I can promise ya that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the deer are not the property of the land owner. game belong to us all, i guess you didn't read anything i posted earlier regarding our model, but it's like i'm talking to a rock at this point but i can't help myself so let me throw this out at you

Recently on a podcast there was a discussion on land access. A gentleman in his 80's wanted the state to put in more access roads so that more land was more accessible to people who were older or disabled. Another man in his 80's stood up and said "F that". I loved being able to access those hard to reach places when I was younger because they were truly special. They were so off grid that there were less hunters and the experience more special because of it. And damn if we should change what was special for him because he can no longer enjoy it and therefore ruin it for the next generation who is in their prime and there for them to enjoy.

I'll remind you that I have for many years promoted crossbows for the disabled and elderly, but I thought that the above was an interesting exchange. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the state's shitty policies with criminals, guns, social programs, covid etc. have nothing to do with deer regulations. One issue or gripe with a law doesn't mean you can disregard others. "Sorry officer I looted this liquor store because I was mad that a cop shot a black man"... that doesn't slide with most of us right?
Point again, we all know poaching happens. Most of us might look the other way here and there for the right guy down on his luck trying to put meat on the table, but that is rare in NY. Saying it's ok on a public forum is different. Dudes in africa are super poor, so who cares if they're poaching rhinos for money right? bear gall bladders can make a poor man rich too. What if that poached buck was a trophy? What if they trespassed on your land to poach that doe? The list goes on and on and on. 

Can you read? I specifically said “unless a black market for whitetail meat”

That covers your entire last paragraph!


I pay 6,000$ a year in taxes on property just for hunting purposes and I have killed 1 buck in 10 years on it. Why because New York State has our deer seasons so f*cked up! I have had 2 bucks I would kill on camera in those same 10 years. That’s running 20+ cameras 365 days a year and having 90+ days off during deer season.

“Poaching” isn’t going to effect my hunting in any way!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:


Can you read? I specifically said “unless a black market for whitetail meat”

That covers your entire last paragraph!


I pay 6,000$ a year in taxes on property just for hunting purposes and I have killed 1 buck in 10 years on it. Why because New York State has our deer seasons so f*cked up! I have had 2 bucks I would kill on camera in those same 10 years. That’s running 20+ cameras 365 days a year and having 90+ days off during deer season.

“Poaching” isn’t going to effect my hunting in any way!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$60K per buck, not counting the price of the actual land? You should be hunting the 4 sheep species instead!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Belo said:

the deer are not the property of the land owner. game belong to us all, i guess you didn't read anything i posted earlier regarding our model, but it's like i'm talking to a rock at this point but i can't help myself so let me throw this out at you

Recently on a podcast there was a discussion on land access. A gentleman in his 80's wanted the state to put in more access roads so that more land was more accessible to people who were older or disabled. Another man in his 80's stood up and said "F that". I loved being able to access those hard to reach places when I was younger because they were truly special. They were so off grid that there were less hunters and the experience more special because of it. And damn if we should change what was special for him because he can no longer enjoy it and therefore ruin it for the next generation who is in their prime and there for them to enjoy.

I'll remind you that I have for many years promoted crossbows for the disabled and elderly, but I thought that the above was an interesting exchange. 

Yeah that’s all well and good until it’s not. You make it sound like it does not already happen. You think guys that take care of their property does not shoot yotes every chance givin or destroy dens on their property? Happens a lot. You think people with private land hunt without even buying a license?  Happens a lot… And will even more now. You think Joe up the road does not fill every family member’s tags every year? Happens a lot. People are going to do whatever it takes to take care of them and theirs and even more so now. These idiots turning this crossbow thing down for no reason whatsoever…Except party and probably a payoff from Ny Bow Assoc.. are just a dot on the map of what people are getting sick of. But the good news is your free to do you and you don’t have to worry about what others are doing.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:


Can you read? I specifically said “unless a black market for whitetail meat”

That covers your entire last paragraph!


I pay 6,000$ a year in taxes on property just for hunting purposes and I have killed 1 buck in 10 years on it. Why because New York State has our deer seasons so f*cked up! I have had 2 bucks I would kill on camera in those same 10 years. That’s running 20+ cameras 365 days a year and having 90+ days off during deer season.

“Poaching” isn’t going to effect my hunting in any way!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that’s just what some people in this state are getting together and changing. Takes land no doubt but those that can are taking things into their own hands.               Just as many will put a crossbow in their hands during archery season. Just a fact. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

$60K per buck, not counting the price of the actual land? You should be hunting the 4 sheep species instead!

I have zero desire, I’ve been out west. Only hunt I’ll ever pay to go on will be a moose hunt. That was supposed to be this year but I’m not getting vaccinated so I’ll keep applying for the draws in the states.

Hunting my properties has zero to do with killing a buck. I would rather shoot a 80” buck in the Adirondacks than a 160” on my property. I enjoy seeing deer, other game and working on improving their habitat. I enjoy killing bucks in the Adirondacks.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Four Seasons said:

Yeah that’s all well and good until it’s not. You make it sound like it does not already happen. You think guys that take care of their property does not shoot yotes every chance givin or destroy dens on their property? Happens a lot. You think people with private land hunt without even buying a license?  Happens a lot… And will even more now. You think Joe up the road does not fill every family member’s tags every year? Happens a lot. People are going to do whatever it takes to take care of them and theirs and even more so now. These idiots turning this crossbow thing down for no reason whatsoever…Except party and probably a payoff from Ny Bow Assoc.. are just a dot on the map of what people are getting sick of. But the good news is your free to do you and you don’t have to worry about what others are doing.  

so to be clear, because you seem to be just slinging out reasons on why it's ok to poach.

If I understand this correctly, and apparently I have trouble reading. More people are going to poach now because of democrats and their policies? That a non-full inclusive crossbow policy and other liberal policies is going to cause a revolution and poaching epedemic?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Belo said:

so to be clear, because you seem to be just slinging out reasons on why it's ok to poach.

If I understand this correctly, and apparently I have trouble reading. More people are going to poach now because of democrats and their policies? That a non-full inclusive crossbow policy and other liberal policies is going to cause a revolution and poaching epedemic?

 

Just going to keep the fires burning. This policy getting shot down for the reason it was yes will indeed push some to say F it and carry on. The Democrats killing the rest of the world will also force people to say F it and carry on doing whatever it takes to get them thru their lives easier. And if that is saving money on tags and killing whatever it takes to fill their need then that is just what they are going to do. It’s not like it’s not already done on a daily basis it’s just going to push the rest a little more. To each their own. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just going to keep the fires burning. This policy getting shot down for the reason it was yes will indeed push some to say F it and carry on. The Democrats killing the rest of the world will also force people to say F it and carry on doing whatever it takes to get them thru their lives easier. And if that is saving money on tags and killing whatever it takes to fill their need then that is just what they are going to do. It’s not like it’s not already done on a daily basis it’s just going to push the rest a little more. To each their own. 


But these people that need to get by can afford $15k in taxes and not $70 in tags.

You’ve lost me man. Is it political disobedience or poverty? Or just an excuse we’re using to justify poaching?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Belo said:

 


But these people that need to get by can afford $15k in taxes and not $70 in tags.

You’ve lost me man. Is it political disobedience or poverty? Or just an excuse we’re using to justify poaching?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

People will cut back where they can , there’s guys here who drive 50k trucks ,hauling air , yet drive around looking to save a few pennies on a gallon of gas .

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:


Can you read? I specifically said “unless a black market for whitetail meat”

That covers your entire last paragraph!


I pay 6,000$ a year in taxes on property just for hunting purposes and I have killed 1 buck in 10 years on it. Why because New York State has our deer seasons so f*cked up! I have had 2 bucks I would kill on camera in those same 10 years. That’s running 20+ cameras 365 days a year and having 90+ days off during deer season.

“Poaching” isn’t going to effect my hunting in any way!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you need some habitat work on that property.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Belo said:

 


But these people that need to get by can afford $15k in taxes and not $70 in tags.

You’ve lost me man. Is it political disobedience or poverty? Or just an excuse we’re using to justify poaching?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Your stuck in the mud on the first part of this whole conversation. Those people have been and will continue to take care of their interests regardless of what others say and these idiots in charge today are now pushing the common folk if you will…To do the same. You know, The ones without all that coin. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like you need some habitat work on that property.

It’s been done and is still being done. It’s impossible to keep a buck on 40-100 acre plots. They shot 9 bucks on my neighbors 18 acres.

It’s nearly impossible for a buck to reach maturity when he’s being hunted with a gun for 9 full weeks that includes every minute of the rut in farm country.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


It’s been done and is still being done. It’s impossible to keep a buck on 40-100 acre plots. They shot 9 bucks on my neighbors 18 acres.

It’s nearly impossible for a buck to reach maturity when he’s being hunted with a gun for 9 full weeks that includes every minute of the rut in farm country.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well they lay their taxes and times are tough, so let them mow em all down!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Well they lay their taxes and times are tough, so let them mow em all down!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It wasn’t a complaint, it was an explanation as to why there aren’t shooter bucks “for me” around. They can shoot what they want with what they want when they on the proper they have permission to hunt, that’s between them and the landowner. I

knew when I started buying around here what I was getting into. I’ve lived here all my life minus my time in the military. It’s home and it is what it is. That’s why again poaching won’t affect my hunting in any way.

To me it’s worth the time and cost to watch deer and have the opportunity to kill a buck almost every sit. Last year my daughter hunted for less than 30 minutes between 2 hunts and killed 2 deer. I don’t have a habitat issue.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And that’s just what some people in this state are getting together and changing. Takes land no doubt but those that can are taking things into their own hands.               Just as many will put a crossbow in their hands during archery season. Just a fact. 

Exactly, just as we have done with vermin. We know our lands better than anyone especially some asshat in Albany. I’ll do what’s right and needed for my property and deal with the consequences if I have to.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not meaning to stall out the pissing match, but it's pretty safe to say nobody here is going to knowingly lay waste to the deer to negatively effect hunting in future seasons. Different strokes for different folks in how to go about hunting. lol

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:


Exactly, just as we have done with vermin. We know our lands better than anyone especially some asshat in Albany. I’ll do what’s right and needed for my property and deal with the consequences if I have to.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just what happened with our land and many others that took things into their own hands. Some like to say it’s poaching when in the real world it’s taking care of what’s yours. The same ones that think these properties are getting poached or whatever has never hunted properties like these. There is actually small game and game birds. You won’t see that in many numbers on most properties. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...