Proposed crossbow legislation for 2022

nyslowhand

12 minutes ago, 9jNYstarkOH said:

Do you mean to stop progression of the sport or stop whining when proposed law changes that would add more hunter to the archery season.

No whining here.. Just my opinion, it will not affect me at all. To be fair ,from my perspective, sounds like whining coming from your "side" .;)

I will continue to hunt with my compound as well as crossbow at times. 

I don't care if I can use a howitzer or a stick I'm going to hunt ..lol

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

You know of one, I currently own 2 crossbows neither are NY legal both cost over 2,000$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then if your using in nys your a serious poacher not hunter ;)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Muzzleloader use to be side lock only,  so i hope in keeping the essence of the sport your is as well ot just do what pa has and go flintlock, or maybe we should keep matchlocks or wheellocks alive..  

The sport will always continue  as it has in every state that has full inclusion for decades.  Again  if your not pushing for a traditional 2 week seaon 1st 2 weeks of november only, your real modivations lay in  added deer removed from herd that you might get.. 

A January flintlock season would be WONDERFUL

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, G-Man said:

The real problem as i told will elliott ( former outdoor writer) on a bear hunt in new brunswick is the new york definition of disabled..  quadriplegic with a breath tube to use a crossbow  in archery season is ridiculous  and yes that is only legal way. 

I dont think anyone here would disagree with this. So why not write up a bill that addresses it specifically?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

exactly my "crusade" in a nutshell. Don't fully include them and you preserve the sport. No different than those of us who own a muzzleloader who otherwise would not. 

As i sit here in ohio and i know many hunters here who have and use both and they have been legal here for 30 plus years, the bow hasnt left never will.  Traditional archery is still alive and several on this site use traditional equipment.  If your not your crusade is false as compounds are not anywhere near traditional archey or the purity of the sport.  

Personally the challenge of more primitive equipment is alluring and i cnat wait to get the spear legalized  maybe i could get a 2 week only season for prime rut at that may increase the sport and bring it to the forefront of the hunting comunity.  

Just now, The_Real_TCIII said:

I dont think anyone here would disagree with this. So why not write up a bill that addresses it specifically?

Because we cant even get a right to hunt and fish in this state added to constitution.   Remove game management from politics and dumb arguments like this are non existant.   All states with game department managed wildlife allow crossbow  in archery with archery course.  The ones that dont are are managed by feelings and politics..  guess which states are prefered whitetail destinations......

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ncountry said:

No whining here.. Just my opinion, it will not affect me at all. To be fair ,from my perspective, sounds like whining coming from your "side" .;)

I will continue to hunt with my compound as well as crossbow at times. 

I don't care if I can use a howitzer or a stick I'm going to hunt ..lol

I don’t care as I can and do hunt OH and PA with my crossbow all archery season. And have the best 2 weeks in WNY already. I just find it funny the compound guys that set the limit at there maximum ability. Then state it’s about tradition but don’t put in the work in to hunt traditional bow. At the same time condemning crossbows as crossbow hunters are destroying the tradition because they are not willing to put the work into being a “bow” hunter. Again if difficulty is going to be the bar to set season length to. We should push back compound 2 weeks and let the traditional guys have some time to themselves in the woods also. This is also just my opinion to the conversation that was had last year, this year and probably again next year.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Because we cant even get a right to hunt and fish in this state added to constitution.   Remove game management from politics and dumb arguments like this are non existant.   All states with game department managed wildlife allow crossbow  in archery with archery course.  The ones that dont are are managed by feelings and politics..  guess which states are prefered whitetail destinations......

If hunting was added to the Constitution, it would bring far more politics into hunting than there is now. Far, FAR MORE! All one needs to see that as fact is to look at the deconstruction of the Second Amendment. You want even more stupid hunting laws, make it more political by completely putting it into the hands of politicians. Now that's a great idea.

Then if your using in nys your a serious poacher not hunter

I don’t use them in New York. Actually neither have been in the woods, just fun toys.

A crossbow is a crossbow, if you think using a crossbow that’s over the arbitrary number for draw weight that some idiot in Albany came up with makes someone a poacher than you and I have completely different definitions of a poacher. My Excalibur draw is over that number yet many “legal” Xbows shoot much faster.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

If hunting was added to the Constitution, it would bring far more politics into hunting than there is now. Far, FAR MORE! All one needs to see that as fact is to look at the deconstruction of the Second Amendment. You want even more stupid hunting laws, make it more political by completely putting it into the hands of politicians. Now that's a great idea.

A right to hunt and fish to be managed by game department would be far less. No appointments  wildlife bologist making rules and reg.. much less than now  ,plus funds would not be distrubuted by politicians,  simply funded by license and robertson pitman act. 

35 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I don’t use them in New York. Actually neither have been in the woods, just fun toys.

A crossbow is a crossbow, if you think using a crossbow that’s over the arbitrary number for draw weight that some idiot in Albany came up with makes someone a poacher than you and I have completely different definitions of a poacher. My Excalibur draw is over that number yet many “legal” Xbows shoot much faster.

I have no issue with restrictions that exist in nys, if your not hunting with them in nys then your not pretty simple

An excaliber is a recurve x bow  and not under regulations.  Simply nys compliant  need to read regs and exceptions.  There is no cam involved. 

I have no issue with restrictions that exist in nys, if your not hunting with them in nys then your not pretty simple
An excaliber is a recurve x bow  and not under regulations.  Simply nys compliant  need to read regs and exceptions.  There is no cam involved. 

The restrictions are idiotic, my excal only shoots 380fps yet is over the 200lb draw weight and is “illegal” in NY. If you don’t see the stupidity in the restrictions than I don’t know what to tell you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 9jNYstarkOH said:

Again if difficulty is going to be the bar to set season length to. We should push back compound 2 weeks and let the traditional guys have some time to themselves in the woods also. This is also just my opinion to the conversation that was had last year, this year and probably again next year.

. I would have no problems with that..

Lol. Yeah I think the horse is dead. 

I'm out for now. I'm going to push the boat off the dock and see if the crappie are biting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

A January flintlock season would be WONDERFUL

and a 9/15 opener. Everybody on both sides of this thread can fight together and we can get a 9/15 opener like our neighboring states (CT & NJ)

1 hour ago, BizCT said:

and a 9/15 opener. Everybody on both sides of this thread can fight together and we can get a 9/15 opener like our neighboring states (CT & NJ)

You live in CT now! You have that 9/15 opener you always wanted.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

The restrictions are idiotic, my excal only shoots 380fps yet is over the 200lb draw weight and is “illegal” in NY. If you don’t see the stupidity in the restrictions than I don’t know what to tell you.

And exactly the reason that many use whatever crossbow they bought. Ones that can afford the best bought the best and use them accordingly. Can’t say I have ever seen a dumber law. Beside coyote having a season maybe. 

• Like 1

And exactly the reason that many use whatever crossbow they bought. Ones that can afford the best bought the best and use them accordingly. Can’t say I have ever seen a dumber law. Beside coyote having a season maybe. 

Exactly, if a crossbow is a crossbow than a crossbow is a crossbow.

They should make a law with any rifle having over 2500fps at 100yds and any rifle with a barrel length over 20” illegal

3 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Exactly, if a crossbow is a crossbow than a crossbow is a crossbow.

They should make a law with any rifle having over 2500fps at 100yds and any rifle with a barrel length over 20” illegal

And if they are going to let hunters use a weapon to kill a deer why wouldn’t they let them use the very best possible of said weapon?  Exactly why people make their own rules anymore. Not just in hunting but in life itself. So many idiots in charge making stupid rules for people. Do You, Is what I say. 

Need to get rid of all the unnecessary  seasons and just have gun season. Get rid of rifles tho, they are to easy to use and you can shoot to far with them. Back to shotguns and muzzleloaders. Maybe have several gun seasons. Close the season for the rut then open again.

22 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Technology and traditions change. How many of our parents made us drive a manual car or shoot with irons sights?

When I was learning to hunt with my dad I did it in a tree stand on beside a tree. Not with an I pad in a blind. Things change, if it gets kids in the woods I don’t care what they use and I surely don’t care about if compound bows die.

How is that any different?

Some would argue that a stick and iron sites are how one should learn. No different than learning addition and subtraction even if a calculator will do it for you.

And I don't know who you're referencing with ipad's in blinds. That shit doesn't fly with my kids.

remember ;)

IMG_1622.thumb.jpeg.316da394aeca71a246ec855daa69c754.jpeg

On 5/8/2022 at 8:38 AM, Jeremy K said:

I'd like to say yes ,but I know it will just bring all the "shoulder injury" guys to the doctors to get their note.

I have no issue with this. If using a crossbow is that important to someone that they'll spend the time and co-pay to get a note, even if fake then they can replace the man card in their wallet with their disability card :)

22 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

or it expands options for youth hunters and they are able to actually hunt and take game, thus bringing in more hunters 

Why couldn't they use a compound?

22 hours ago, 9jNYstarkOH said:

Is that not what compounds did to traditional bows when included. Why is this where the line needs drawn? Why was the line not drawn at cams?

I wasn't born yet, but I'm not sure there were legions and armies of hunters with recurves. Nobody would argue that the recurve is exceptionally difficult to master and become effective with. But yes, it's always fair to point out that the crossbow crosses yet another line for "archery". So is the keeper of the line? Who decides?

22 hours ago, 9jNYstarkOH said:

I don’t care as I can and do hunt OH and PA with my crossbow all archery season. And have the best 2 weeks in WNY already. I just find it funny the compound guys that set the limit at there maximum ability. Then state it’s about tradition but don’t put in the work in to hunt traditional bow. At the same time condemning crossbows as crossbow hunters are destroying the tradition because they are not willing to put the work into being a “bow” hunter. Again if difficulty is going to be the bar to set season length to. We should push back compound 2 weeks and let the traditional guys have some time to themselves in the woods also. This is also just my opinion to the conversation that was had last year, this year and probably again next year.

Lets talk about tradition.

Prior to the compound, those that were using traditional archery equipment for sport hunters were primarily native Americans right? And even then, it wasn't sport, it was for survival. The mountain men were all using rifles. IDK about you, but I'm a white European immigrant. Mostly Irish and Lithuanian. In the 70's/80's my grandfather and father and uncles started archery hunting. I believe they started with recurves, but didn't hunt with them and then very early compounds were the first bows they hunted with. That's 50 years of bowhunting history in my family. 

Now maybe some of you have relatives back to Daniel Boone, but I'm guessing they were market hunting game with rifles. Maybe some of you have Native American blood and for you tradition is different.

But I'd be my 401k that the vast majority of this board have a tradition of archery that began with the compound. The renaissance era was Fred Bear. That's when it exploded to the modern culture we know of it today. That's what I mean when I say tradition. 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

Why couldn't they use a compound?

I wasn't born yet, but I'm not sure there were legions and armies of hunters with recurves. Nobody would argue that the recurve is exceptionally difficult to master and become effective with. But yes, it's always fair to point out that the crossbow crosses yet another line for "archery". So is the keeper of the line? Who decides?

The minimum draw weight for hunting is not attainable for many teens. Women are becoming a larger percentage of the hunting population as well.  Plus a xbow on a stand is generally a bit easier than a compound.  There is no reason to think that using a xbow for the first part of hunting means that no one will ever pick up a bow.  I would bet 90% of us archers started gun hunting first.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

The minimum draw weight for hunting is not attainable for many teens. Women are becoming a larger percentage of the hunting population as well.  Plus a xbow on a stand is generally a bit easier than a compound.  There is no reason to think that using a xbow for the first part of hunting means that no one will ever pick up a bow.  I would bet 90% of us archers started gun hunting first.   

I bet only a minute amount of people would pick up a bow after using the X-Bow . Most archers started with a gun and then went hunting with a bow because the archery season gave them more weeks to deer hunt . That's what I did . I wanted a longer time to hunt .

• Like 5