My new Savage 220 in LH

Otto

I picked up a new gun yesterday, special ordered from Savage in Left Hand. I have a RH which will be passed along to a family member.

39a93d9775d00ece323b9a2ed0dffd31.jpg4c3e13b5269000bb4b4b3957476074bb.jpg

Looking for suggestions on the scope. Thinking of going red dot on it. I've got a bunch of points saved up at Cabela's and BPS. Any input?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Great guns. You'll love it. The only thing about a red dot is I would think your limiting the ability of the gun a bit. It will shoot out to 175 pretty well. I killed deer at 130 with mine.

I traded mine in cause I wanted a semi remi 12. But it was a nice rig. Can't wait to see a deer down with it !

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

They don't get more accurate than a 220...   If you spend some time on the range with it, you will find that you can easily shoot out to 200 yards and beyond..

I will never forget when I first got mine I brought it to camp and my friend was very skeptical when I showed it to him and explained what it was capable of...   I got her sighted in and I told him it was his turn..   100 yards and he manages a 3 shot "clover leaf"...    He was sold after that..

• Like 1

Nice looking gun ! I know a few guys that hunt with the 220 .   I think how you plan on hunting with it will determine what scope to get.  If you are woods hunting , a 1 1/4 x 4 , a 1 1/2 x 5 , or a 1 x 6 .  If you mostly hunt out of a tower or treestand overlooking fields then you might consider a higher power scope . But like fasteddie mentioned , I dont think I have turned my 3x9 power scope higher than 6 power even on 150 yard shots .  

I'm in the process of changing over most of my scopes from 3x9's to lower power scopes . If you really like the red dots , try looking at some of the lower variable power Firedot scopes .  Thats what I'm switching over to . I LOVE that Firedot duplex reticle on moving targets !  Its a game changer . 

Edited by SportsmanNH

FWIW I have a 2moa red dot on a 220. (Aimpoint 9000sc)

I’m switching more rifles over to that and taking off low power scopes. I don’t need any magnification for 125yds and in(that distance fits what I need a slug gun for, and many rifles), love the wide field of view both eyes open in the thick woods, give up nothing on accuracy, super fast on a target including when one is moving.

But Aimpoint products  are not inexpensive. Up side is the battery life is staggeringly good(years), the dot it self is very crisp edges and brightness adjustment is top notch, windage and elevation are precise, mounting is a breeze with lots of options.

• Like 2