Smoked venison neck roast

crappyice

I just pulled out a 4.5 pound neck and was wondering how it would fare in the smoker.

I did one in the crockpot earlier this year and enjoyed it shredded in soft tacos but curious if any have smoked one.

Time? Temp? Type of wood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think neck turned into one of my favorite cuts on a deer. I just made some pulled venison two days ago and it just falls apart. No trimming necessary either,so butchering doesn't get easier than that  ...

How’d ya cook it?

Also one of my favorite cuts because they taste great, out of the crock pot, and making them saves a lot of butchering time, compared to trying to trim out all the neck meat.  

Our menu is set for this weekend, but I think I will pull one of the 3 left in the freezer out and toss it in the crockpot next weekend.  I made (2) from my old buck last year, and another from my young buck on New Year’s Day.  The one from last year’s young buck was terrific.  

My only worry about smoking, would be that they might get too dry.  That would piss me off, because they are so good, out of the crockpot.  

I have did many in the slow-cooker,excellent to say the least.Tried one in smoker,really not much prep,rolled it around in some homemade dry rub.In the smoker for about 9 1/2-10 hrs,200 degrees,didnt try to use themometer because of bone.Started checking looseness of bone around 9 hrs,when I was able to pull neck bone cleanly and easily out it was done.I definitely enjoy the neck roast better than any pulled pork i have ever had.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, crappyice said:

How’d ya cook it?

I cook mine in a Dutch oven,first brown it a little then cook it at 325 with browned onions,crushed tomatoes,cumin,some hot peppers and some smoked paprika and enough beer to submerge half of the roast in the sauce. No lid and cook for 3hrs  or more. Oh,garlic is in there too.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I cook mine in a Dutch oven,first brown it a little then cook it at 325 with browned onions,crushed tomatoes,cumin,some hot peppers and some smoked paprika and enough beer to submerge half of the roast in the sauce. No lid and cook for 3hrs  or more. Oh,garlic is in there too.

I like the beer idea.  I will try one with my last can of Spring Bock, next weekend.  I got to make room for some Ruby red Kolch, which I just saw at the market, for $9.99 a 12.  That tastes a lot better to me, after we get a little more sun.  It looks like it will be a wile for that yet, based on the forecast.  

That looks great! If you haven't corned a roast yet gotta try it. Use Johnplav's recipe. Then smoke it for venison pastrami...

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

I have done corned venison with a few hind roasts. I didn’t smoke it but may need to. I love the pecan wood fo smoke lately. Not as harsh/overpowering as the hickory.

• Like 1

I’ve found anything without much fat doesn’t do that well in the smoker, not that it’s bad it’s just not worth the effort.

Additionally, anything with a lot of connective muscle tissues does really good when slow cooked to break it down.

Which is why the crock pot is the go to for neck roasts.