Plowing a seasonal road

Fantail

Have been thinking about getting the access / seasonal road plowed to get up to camp. Just not sure if it would be worth it. I'm sure it's been done, but anyone who has a plow probably would think I'm out of my mind. That and it would be about a mile & a half plus after this last storm probably 12-18" on the ground up there. Plus it's a dirt/gravel road so I'm thinking the plow can't be completely down - which probably would strain the hydraulics.

Guess I'm starting to miss camp already.

Like the suggestions stated you can plow a dirt road.Its not that hard.My uncle's road was 1/3 mile long and we would plow that with a truck all year.Leave the shoes on and set it around 1-2 inches high,also its probably a good idea to have someone to rescue your butt if you slide off the road as its easy to do the first time the road is plowed.Go slow but but fast enough that the load has momentum so you aren't straining the truck or risking spinning the tires.

I'm thinking the same thing. My camp is on a seasonal road but the cabin is just past my neighbors place. He is full time so they plow up to his driveway. If they would just go another 400 feet!! lol. It is what it is.I just deal with it. At least I'm not that far and can walk it in.

They plow the road to my camp, but I am the last one, it is seasonal after me. My neighbor down the road plows the rest to his camp with a tractor. I guess about 1500 feet. He stays on it though, does not let it build up. Not something I would like to do, thats for sure. The town plows are huge..

• 1 year later...

The camp I am a member of is about 3.5 miles away from where they stop plowing. Every year that there is a good enough base, I pull out the snowshoes and shoe back into camp with my dad. Every year we ask why do we put ourselves through it, but in the end it is so peaceful and relaxing out there that it is worth it. (Planning this years trip for Feb. 22 depending on the snow) 

• Like 1

I have a 1000' driveway that I plow with my ATV. I've been doing that for about 30 years, and have only had to call in a pick-up with a plow only a couple of times. There was another time when I had a pay-loader handle it. I can't remember what year, but it was a March, three foot dump of some very heavy, wet, gloppy snow that even trucks couldn't handle.

It's a gravel driveway, and the gravel has never been an issue. I will say that it plows a lot nicer and easier with a hardened snow base underneath.

I was just wondering if there is any legal situations or requirements involved with plowing a town road. Any liability issues with plowing a road that has been officially closed?

I have a 1000' driveway that I plow with my ATV. I've been doing that for about 30 years, and have only had to call in a pick-up with a plow only a couple of times. There was another time when I had a pay-loader handle it. I can't remember what year, but it was a March, three foot dump of some very heavy, wet, gloppy snow that even trucks couldn't handle.

It's a gravel driveway, and the gravel has never been an issue. I will say that it plows a lot nicer and easier with a hardened snow base underneath.

I was just wondering if there is any legal situations or requirements involved with plowing a town road. Any liability issues with plowing a road that has been officially closed?

The town supervisor will have a problem with someone other than the town road crews opening up a closed seasonal road. It's closed due to no permanent residences nor is it a mail route.

The town supervisor will have a problem with someone other than the town road crews opening up a closed seasonal road. It's closed due to no permanent residences nor is it a mail route.

Well, that's what I was kind of wondering about. Generally when a road is opened up, it starts other people assuming that it is a safe road to drive on. Kind of like suckering them in .... lol. Also, I know that road crews get a bit protective of others doing their jobs. I don't know, it just seemed like something that should not be done without some prior permissions or inquiries.

At work we use to plow alot of gravel/stone driveways/roads.. We would leave the shoes of the plow down 2-3" a plow away after the snow was packed it was like plowing a hard surface rd. As far as plowing a seasonal rd.   We also had a saying at work, "Its eaiser to get forgiven than to get permission" & it always seemed to work.  lol

I have actually taken to hiking in with snowshoes & tow in a mixing tub for a gear sled.

I also have a tractor since then, with a bucket and a 3-point blade. While I could remove snow with this set up I'm going to leave it be for the snowmobiles. Road is part of a maintained trail system now. If that goes well I shouldn't have access issues after March. Just before spring if there are clumps or banks of snow left over I may intervene due to I think allot of shading slowing the melt off. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...