No Need For Over Kill

DirtTime

If you are hunting in NY, you do not need a 300 Mag. You don't even need a 7MM mag. The 25/06, .308, 30/30/. 35 Whelin, or even the 7mm/o8 will kill big game here! Even the popular 30/06 can be argued to be over kill. I will try to find a vey old Petersons Hunting article to prove this one.

The smaller less recoil calibers can be very effective! As long as you spend time on the target range and get a full zero. Hell, a .222 or 22/250 can kill a deer just as fast as the ought 6, and is legal. You just need to get the right bullet for the rifle.

While I'm on the topic of calibers, anyone remember the 30/40 Graig?

Yeah i would have to call bull on this one. Although i do agree to a point but i hunt 100acre fields and massive long range shots at big whitetails can happen at any time. My 300Wby Mag gives me the punch needed to anchor them out there to the 500yd range. But you are right when they get to the 100yd and less mark. You want to make sure you punch a hole in the rib cage when they get that close.

• Like 2

Yeah i would have to call bull on this one. Although i do agree to a point but i hunt 100acre fields and massive long range shots at big whitetails can happen at any time. My 300Wby Mag gives me the punch needed to anchor them out there to the 500yd range. But you are right when they get to the 100yd and less mark. You want to make sure you punch a hole in the rib cage when they get that close.

I said nothing about super long range shots.. You can call all the BS you like. A 300 is a frikin moose rifle! You just don't need that much for a whitetail or black bear, even at distance. If a 5.56 can kill a man ( sorry to bring this one up ) at 1000 yards, then a .223 or a 223 can kill a deer.

I forgot the .270. My fav caliber!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cuts a little brushm and still can be a tack driver depending on the rifle and the shooter.

Yea 270. in 130 grain in a great deer round. A few days ago I shot a deer at a little over 200 yards with it. I have seen people on youtube take some crazy long shots for kills with the 270.

Yes Im serious there is one in the gun cabinet.  Its my fathers gun, I used it a while back to shoot it  and he told me to hang on to it. Those old steel buttplates sure do put a hurt on the shoulder. 

Edited by wdswtr
  • Like 1

Yes Im serious there is one in the gun cabinet.  Its my fathers gun, I used it a while back to shoot it  and he told me to hang on to it. Those old steel buttplates sure do put a hurt on the shoulder. 

I'ma be sending you a PM about this one. Right now, I am going to bed to get ready for the morning hunt.

I said nothing about super long range shots.. You can call all the BS you like. A 300 is a frikin moose rifle! You just don't need that much for a whitetail or black bear, even at distance. If a 5.56 can kill a man ( sorry to bring this one up ) at 1000 yards, then a .223 or a 223 can kill a deer.

I like to shoot the whitetails that are as big as moose so i will keep Mr Wby. lol

• Like 4

Last rifle I bought was going to be a 300 weatherby, why I dont know I just wanted one.  I was all ready to buy and then I asked how much the shells were for it.  Well that gun went back on the shelf in a hurry.  Back then I couldnt fathom spending 2 bucks a round, now everything seems to be 2 bucks a round.  Crazy!

Remember the 30/40 Kreg?  Yep and there is one in the gun cabinet. 

Not to be picky, but it is the 30/40 KRAG.   The name comes from its  Krag-Jorgenson  action.

It was the first bolt action rifle that saw general use in the US military.

Good medium game cartridge.  The power level is between the 30-30 and the 30-06.

It was our military cartridge for a fairly brief time, falling between the Trapdoor Springfield (45-70) and the 1903 Springfield ( 30-03 and then 30-06)..

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 4

A rifle is just a tool used to do a job. Each rifleman decides what he needs to take the animal he is after. Yes, there is such a thing as over kill. There is also such a thing as not enough gun.

Nobody can dictate what a man uses for his hunt. It's a choice only he can, and should, make.

Someone can disagree with what another man chooses as his hunting rifle, but in a free society, that's his choice to make.

Lord help us all if we ever have our choices dictated to us any more than they already are.

• Like 2

A rifle is just a tool used to do a job. Each rifleman decides what he needs to take the animal he is after. Yes, there is such a thing as over kill. There is also such a thing as not enough gun.

Nobody can dictate what a man uses for his hunt. It's a choice only he can, and should, make.

Someone can disagree with what another man chooses as his hunting rifle, but in a free society, that's his choice to make.

Lord help us all if we ever have our choices dictated to us any more than they already are.

My brother, former college linebacker, is now hunting with a .243 after retinal surgery. His doc advised against any large caliber recoil.

• Like 1

I say use whats best for your hunting situation. There are plenty of people who buy magnum rifles just to say that they hunt with a "MAGNUM". But mag calibers do have their place in some deer hunting areas where very long shots are more common. I hunt with a 7mm-08 because I think its perfect for my area. Some guys use mags for the same reason.

• Like 1

Not to be picky, but it is the 30/40 KRAG.   The name comes from its  Krag-Jorgenson  action.

It was the first bolt action rifle that saw general use in the US military.

Good medium game cartridge.  The power level is between the 30-30 and the 30-06.

It was our military cartridge for a fairly brief time, falling between the Trapdoor Springfield (45-70) and the 1903 Springfield ( 30-03 and then 30-06)..

If I remember my history correctly, these were the rifles used during the Spanish-American war.

When I was growing up in the early 70s, there were a LOT of guys hunting with 30/40 KRAGs in PA, it's been a long time since I've seen one in the woods or at the range.

I chose my calibers for a couple reasons.

Availability of ammo and components.

range of bullet weights

ability to anchor a deer and still deeply penetrate the vitals. I have no qualms taking a quartering to shot on a big whitetail or bear with my '06. I know it with go though the shoulder and still perform well in the vitals and I have yet to have one not exit.  That gun has taken game from woodchucks to elk and moose.

• Like 1