Poachers and the people who don't report them

Trailer

So after dedicating all of archery season and regular season to killing only mature deer I have not succeeded yet. It's not that I don't have mature bucks an does around ( got 5 mature bucks on camera multiple times) it's people that live around me and jack lighters killing them at night. Neighbor killed 4 bucks so far 3 ones I got on trail camera no argument on that compare pics to pics. So I decided to call DEC in my area. He told me no one is reporting people violating game laws. What is wrong with us as sportsman and conservationists? We are the stewards of the land an if we know things like this are happining we have a responsibility to report it and let those who break these laws know it's not ok. The laws are laws for a reason an even if we don't agree with all of them we are still responsible to abide by them. It's time we all get on the same page.

I know the feeling.  Around where I hunt there is a group of guys that jacklight bucks for two weeks prior to season and all during the season.  I haven't reported them.  The main reason is because I don't have a license plate, address, names, or an identifying information.  I just know the field that I always see them in.  

Generally, I think a lot of it comes down to people either expecting someone else to do it, or figuring their call won't make a difference.  Either way, I agree, we need to start policing ourselves better.

And how do you know HE has killed four bucks?

I was more curious how he knew all these mature deer were being killed at night.

Seems that would be something you would report on the spot without hesitation...... unless of course you're basing the claim entirely on speculation.

I agree, if you WITNESS something, it should be reported.

Spotlighting is legal when certain other criteria are met (distance from dwelling, permission, no loaded weapons, etc..._). Unless a shot is personally heard or seen fired, I wouldn't waste a DEC officers time reporting anything, allowing him to focus on actual violations where actual evidence and witnesses exist, and not just a story with the blanks filled in.

Edited by wooly
  • Like 1

I saw some unusual activity on night last weekend at dusk but couldn't get a plate number.  I should have blocked the road to slow them down.

I did get a partial plate number and a good look at the RED FORD P/U.....................the word is out to on these guys.

Edited by Lawdwaz

He started bragging about the deer to a few people that I know. I have seen the pictures of these deer. I also have heard the shots at night from my house just couldn't pinpoint where they were coming from. Now I know and have started the process of helping this delta bravo see the right side of the law. Also one picture was taken on trail camera at 950pm and his photo date is 145 am very next day. No way he killed it legally even though he says shot it in the afternoon and had to track for hours. No injuries on the deer when he was making the scrape from 950 to10ish.

I saw some unusual activity on night last weekend at dusk but couldn't get a plate number.  I should have blocked the road to slow them down.

I did get a partial plate number and a good look at the RED FORD P/U.....................the word is out to on these guys.

Erg, blocking the road for deterring illegal activity could be dangerous IMO. 

He started bragging about the deer to a few people that I know. I have seen the pictures of these deer. I also have heard the shots at night from my house just couldn't pinpoint where they were coming from. Now I know and have started the process of helping this delta bravo see the right side of the law. Also one picture was taken on trail camera at 950pm and his photo date is 145 am very next day. No way he killed it legally even though he says shot it in the afternoon and had to track for hours. No injuries on the deer when he was making the scrape from 950 to10ish.

People should report poaching, I agree.

The problem is that people infer too much - ever heard of the ladder of inference? While all of this seems plausible, there are assumptions being made here.

Maybe time/date stamps are off on the cam and or phone? Maybe the shots you "heard" weren't shot by said person, maybe stories get twisted from person to person. I see alot of trying to connect the dots to make a story that creates a defense for why a mature buck wasn't shot by you legally - see how the ladder of inference works?

I apologize if that sounds harsh, but I've been there before, whether in hunting, the workplace, or homelife. Making inferences or telling yourself a story isn't always going to lead to what actually is the reality of the situation.

• Like 2

I don't know what the fines are, but I know they're in the hundreds and usually not the thousands. And that's before you can plea it down in the courts. Look at how severe the drunk driving charges are. You don't think that's helped to reduce the number of drunk drivers? It averages around $10k after all the legal fees. You're telling me that thinking about a fine >$1k wouldn't help? You'll never get them all, but you might get some dirtballs who start thinking twice.

that and we need more boots on the ground to enforce the laws.

It does not bother me that I don't kill a mature buck that u got on cam. What bothers me is people killing them illegally bragging about it and nothing happens. It's not just me that does not get the opportunity to harvest that deer but everyone else in the area who is pursueing it legally. I know of a thirteen point several of my neighbors and myself got on cam. He was harvested legally in bow season by an out it Towner and I couldn't have been happier for the guy. He didn't even know there was bucks that big in our area.

• Like 1

Well we wont be doing any adding of boots if we keep making regulations and such that cause more hunters to drop out of the game, which in turn, defunds the DEC.

Just sayin......cant have it both ways.....

what regulations are turning hunters away? didn't we just add crossbows? didn't we just extend the bow season? didn't we just decrease the setback rule?

ARs for one. Some people were against crossbows, Youth seasons, etc. I seem to remember certain people saying that certain other segments of the hunting population quitting wouldnt be a bad thing in their eyes. You know "slobs" that only hunt a couple of weekends a year, or get gas on the way to their stands.... ;)

• Like 1

ARs for one. Some people were against crossbows, Youth seasons, etc. I seem to remember certain people saying that certain other segments of the hunting population quitting wouldnt be a bad thing in their eyes. You know "slobs" that only hunt a couple of weekends a year, or get gas on the way to their stands.... ;)

what does that have to do with your statement. I asked you a question. Please answer. There are no ARs, just debate.

So again, what regulations have turned hunters away?