Stand up or remain seated in your treestand

vipertech

For many years, I would try to stand as soon as possible the minute I saw a deer approaching.  This allows me to easily maneuver around to any shooting position that the deer might present.  But for the past few years, I've been staying seated for a couple of reasons.  One, it obviously cuts down on the movement thus reducing the chance of being busted.  Second, I don't have to think about bending at the waist.  That happens automatically.  Third, it gets me just a bit lower so the shooting angle is flatter.  Lastly, I think it helps me remain in control of nerves and the shivers. For example: if the weather is a bit cold out, and I have to wait out a deer while holding the bow out in front, this becomes harder if I'm standing. The cold might get to me and I'll shake from both that and the nerves of shot anticipation. If I'm sitting, I can slowly lower the bow onto a knee or onto the platform and these effects are mitigated.  Of course remaining sitting has the drawback that the deer might work its way behind the stand or something and if I'm sitting down, I might loose a chance at a shot.  So I guess one has to either perfect the stand placement or use best judgement as to whether or not to sit or stand. 

I love to stand, I'm just not a sitter I guess.  I send to stand in my "stand" about 75% of the time, I love being able to look around while standing.  But I am always mindful of not moving to much.  This year, because I know I prefer to stand a lot I'll make sure to use burlap / camo to cover the leg movement.

If i'm sitting , I remain seated to avoid movement . I have a 10' ladder stand in the back yard to practice from . My backstop target is exactly 30 yards from and I have to portable targets that I can shoot at .

Bending at the waist is an important factor when shooting from an elevated position . If you don't bend at the waist , you drop your bow arm and almost guarantee a miss .

I have the same dilemma in my ground stand. My legs won't last through the hours anymore so I spend most of my time sitting on a folding stool. So depending on how the ground blind is constructed, I may have the choice of remaining seated. I have the same problem if the deer decides to take some whacky direction, I may be forced to risk standing up at a time when that is just about impossible to pull off. If I can see the deer coming from a pretty good distance and there is enough cover between us, I prefer to get into a standing position. I know my shooting is better when I stand, and if I have some good big thing to stand behind as part of my blind, I have more mobility and options available.

Doc

i usually stand when i see a deer coming in and committing to coming my way... I stand and push the seat up behind me in one fluid motion and lean back on the tree. i use a swivel bow holder above me in all my stands as well so i dont have to hold the bow until im almost ready to pull back...

So, i stand right b4 the shot...

i usually stand when i see a deer coming in and committing to coming my way... I stand and push the seat up behind me in one fluid motion and lean back on the tree. i use a swivel bow holder above me in all my stands as well so i dont have to hold the bow until im almost ready to pull back...So, i stand right b4 the shot...

At my age , the only fluid motion I have in the stand is when I pee ! alt=oh Nohttp://www.downsouthhuntingforums.com/images/smiles/help.gif[/img]

At my age , the only fluid motion I have in the stand is when I pee ! alt=oh Nohttp://www.downsouthhuntingforums.com/images/smiles/help.gif[/img]

Now that's funny right there.  8)

I seem to prefer standing. Sure I'll take a break now and then. I'd say 80% to 20%.

My climber has a removable front bar, left it on because I use it while I'm climbing. Probably shouldn't do that but it helps alot. But my point is when I stand it's not in the way at all. That, and it's very cozy so standing I tend to keep alert.

Hunt from 15' ladder stands.

Seat is very comfy, but a little restrictive for side to side movements for bow shots.

1st sighting, 1st opportunity - I'm standing with bow in hand against the tree!

In thicker wood/brush lots who knows where they'll end up meandering.

I am up and down through out the day to keep the legs from being stiff.  But usually when I see a deer during bow season I stand the second I lay eyes on him to prepare for the shot, since it's easier for me to shoot the bow standing.  During gun season I stay seated since I use the gun rest on my stand to shoot.

I sit til I either get cold or uncomfortable. Then I stand for 20 to 30 minutes or so.

As far a shooting, I have shot at deer both while sitting and standing. I shot my buck last season while sitting, I didn't have time to stand up. If I had a choice, I would prefer to be standing when I shoot.

i would do the same thing as u and got jammed up numerous times im gettn a sddle this week check it out . keep an open mind  trophyline usa its a bow hunters approach to what i call a tree deck.  u can also go to u tube this guys got 15 vids on the saddle tyoe in tree saddle let me know what ja think

I am always standing when I shoot. I pretty much only sit when I first get to the stand, to rest and cool off from the walk in. Then I'm on my feet when it is light enough to shoot. Or for an afternoon hunt, I sit for a bit when it's early and dead, then stand when I think it's getting "about that time".

Interesting.  A lot more standers than sitters!  I should have mentioned that like some of you, I do stand up for 15-30 minutes at a time every now and again to stretch the legs.  But as for the actual shot, I've been staying in my seat more often than not within the last few years.