Tower Stand Build

burmjohn

Well, I'm going to start building my first tower stand this weekend. With some idea's from here, friends, and some online photo's I have a good idea for one. Plus I'll be able to put a my uncle up there hopefully this season because he is sick, and needs a nice stable easy to get into spot.

Wood is ordered, being delivered tomorrow. Friday night I'll pickup some quikcrete, lag bolts, screws, and other odds and ends I need.

Going for a 10x8 platform, then eventually build some shelter on there (more likely next year), plus i figured why the hell not. I went this large so I can sit out side once there is a shelter up there (if there ever is one).

Going to try to draw up some plans, but I suck with these cad programs.

Good for you BJ. Some people don't go for the towers but i tell you what, they are a great place to go with our kids or with the ones we love that are getting up there in age. Can't tell you how many first time hunters we've taken up into the enclosed tower where you can talk and give pointers and see some deer and walk them through that first hunt. They are a great place to make memories while hunting.

• Like 2

Will do!

Using:

4x4x12's for the posts (6 of them)

2x8's for the joists

2x4's for the railings / ladder

1x6's for the decking

I just hope the crete dries fast so I can get to work on Sat, says 30-40 min hardening time, then 3hrs before you can put a heavy load on it. Going to get the brackets to sink in the crete to mount the 4x4's to. Hopefully it will last for years and years.

How high are you making it? 12ft?

Yeah the platform is 12ft, so I guess "Tower" is misleading :) ? But I think 12 ft is a nice sweet spot for stability, view and easy of construction. Plus I'm going to be overlooking a valley to one side.

When I was making mine this spring once I started carrying all the stuff in I went with my closer option!! lol

Good luck and hopefully it is a bit cooler when you start it, and less deer flies!

Edited by Fletch

Yeah i hear that. But there is a nice spot pretty far back in our lot I would love to have it.

Tonight I picked up my galvanized bolts/nuts and lag screws. Tomorrow I have to pickup some decking nails and the crete.

Can't wait to get started!

Wew, so tired. Just got home. What a freaking mess this weekend was. First the tracktor wouldnt start up (and still wont!), then my mini trailer took a dump on me and had to ghetto rig it. Good news is with the awesome help of my brother the platform is 90% done. I just need to lag bolt everything and redo / fix / add some crossbrasing.

Its no where near perfect, but its our first and the deck is level too.

post-2-0-85352800-1343001439_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-65637500-1343001448_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-02818200-1343001493_thumb.jpg

The view from up there is amazing, hard to tell in the photos. It sits on the edge of a nice valley, and behind you is some flat land. I have to do the railings still as well, the one up there was just a temp fit to test it.

post-2-0-98377500-1343001593_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-87446600-1343001602_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-13127400-1343001618_thumb.jpg

I built a couple stands a few years back and they are great. If I were to do it again I would have goe higher as they are on 8' 4x4's. The one stand is not bad as it is on a bit of a ridge but the one shown overlooks a small corner of a field.

never been busted just the same so I suppose it is indiferrent.

DSCF7086.jpg