RAIN!!!! Wooot!

Wow, we thought it would never rain. Finally my Dad called me this morning and said its been raining since 1am, not a heavy down poor but a steady good ran for at least the last 8 hours... I thought we were going to loose our two little plots and the lawn we just planted... Hopefully everything recovers OK.

I'll take some pics this weekend.

Thank God...and We went wine tasting yesterday and the vineyards were ecstatic about the all day rain they were getting...vines looked pretty good though...Came home and checked it had soaked in well 3/4 of an in down...doesn't sound like much but a great start...Now I can start to disc....

Actually, I haven't heard any weathermen claiming that the drought is over. And I pretty much agree with them. We got a decent soaker, and it was pretty much in time to save a lot of stuff, but we have a lot of summer left. It remains to be seen whether this dry pattern is really broken or not. I'm looking at my empty pond and noting that even with all that rain, there is no perceptible change there.

No wooting here (6k) as of yet.

Clover plot - wilted

Chicory plot - crispy - replanted clover/chicory - still crispy

Soy/beans 1/2 is up but not growing like it should and it's starting to wilt.

I dug 2 x 2' post holes at camp and the dirt 2' down was as dry as the top.

Since June 1st, the weather channel says we have had 3.32" of rain with most of that being in June. Our lawn greened up a little for about a day and a half and is completely brown again. Trees are dropping leaves and I have seen squat for fruit on the bushes and trees. The farmers crops arent looking too great either.

Looks like we are in a state of drought now...

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

I don't know...I had thought the fields were dying off due to the drought...they were every where I went to pull a daisy out....curled up...on stems...under leafs ...I'll have to ask the beef farmer next to us whats up on is alfalfa field and the oats...I can't tell if they are effecting the corn next to us...no ones come up to spray....SOG that just makes me mad...I'm irritated over this whole summer though...just came in from timber cutting...actually just heard a large tree drop...got hung and a sudden wind came up...always time to walk away and let ma nature do her thing...lol...Any how I got chewed to pieces with those small fly's...they look like house fly's but bite like a "B"....my back arms and back of neck...I'm looking forward to a good hard frost and highs in the low 60's

Don't even know if August oats planting will be affected. Once that worm gets started, it's hard to stop. I found the only way was to harvest the hay, letting the ground dry out on top. Don't even check the ground, look for birds on ground, my army worm indicator We had hundreds in one field. Oats planting in August is tough with this bug. Farmers here are saying to expect a 3rd wave sometime in late August. Afraid for the winter wheat, barley, and rye planting September.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter