Good, Inexpensive Rifle?

I've been hunting with a Savage shotgun in Dutchess County. (hunting? I sit in the woods freezing my butt off.). I will be in Columbia County this year. I'd like to get a decent rifle. But I cant spend too much money, or my girlfriend will kill me. Any suggestions? Is Quattros a good place to shop?

First off don't short yourself and get a rifle that can handle the type of hunting you will be doing.

Remember you will or may have this rifle the rest of your life, the girlfrend on the other hand might be old news by hunting season and you will be kicking yourself for buying a cheap gun!

Edited by mlammerhirt
  • Like 2

How does the girl friend fit into how you spend YOUR money? If she controls your money now God forbid if you marry her. lol! Take it from me just had our 30th anniversary on the 14th, buy a good gun you be happy about it later. Like mlammerhirt said she might not be around come hunting season! Good luck!

Can't beat the basic savages. The Stevens lineup will do but the stock is pretty flimsy. Tikka's are great out of the box but cost a bit more. Remington's are in between but can be a crap shoot on out of the box accuracy sometimes. I've heard decent things about the ruger americans. You could always get a milsurp mauser for cheap as well. All depends on what you want, and how you want to use it.

i can vouch for that... bought a savage M 111 30-06 on a fathers day special at gander a few years back for 400 with a bushnell 3 x 9 on it and it also is a tack driver without exception... sited it in three years ago and its still dead on, with careful handling of course !

Get what you want and just don't tell the girlfriend what you really paid. As far as my wife knows I've never spent over $200 on a gun since she's known me.

If you're kind of stuck and for some reason have to show her the receipt, or something like that, then i'd say Savage all the way. They sell high end guns, but you can get one of their "entry level" guns for about $400 new. They are very good guns. Accurate, reliable and with real nice triggers.

Good luck

Get what you want and just don't tell the girlfriend what you really paid. As far as my wife knows I've never spent over $200 on a gun since she's known me.

If you're kind of stuck and for some reason have to show her the receipt, or something like that, then i'd say Savage all the way. They sell high end guns, but you can get one of their "entry level" guns for about $400 new. They are very good guns. Accurate, reliable and with real nice triggers.

Good luck

Savage Axis is nice, i have it in a 22-250 tho. Since it doesn't come with the accu trigger its pretty cheap. To help with the trigger i took a couple coils off the trigger spring and went from a 5lb to 2 1/2LB trigger pull. Still very safe and will not fire even after being banged around.

Guns are forever girlfriends come and go lol. Savage makes a pretty good rifle. I would not pass on looking at them. I have a model 110 in 30.06 and its a tack driver.

" Guns are forever, girlfreinds come and go ".

Not only is that true and a great laugh but, that has to be one of the best quotes ever.

Should be all of are signatures lol.

You said you hunt in Dutches county there is a real nice gun shop on RT82 called collector guns and ammo.You can find all different rifles there new and used.As far as not getting the girl friend or wife angry.Leave the house with an empty gun case tell her your going shooting when you get home with the new gun she well never know.

Believe it, or not: My wife has no problem with my buying any gun(s) I want. Of course, we are older and struggled financially for years...years when I had trouble keeping enough ammo on hand for the couple of guns I did have. Last several years, I can buy anything I want...even use our credit card...No Problem!