send letters for crossbows in NY

• 3 weeks later...

One of the reasons I am (even though not interested in using one myself) pro-crossbow is not because of any perceived shortcomings of vertical bows, it the shortcomings of some of the people using them.  Let's face it, whether we like it or not there are A LOT of people out there who 1) Don't practice nearly as much as they should and 2) Take shots at distances they have no business shooting.

I know of people dust off their bow the week before season and shoot it a half dozen times and think that's good enough.  Then come winter you see deer running around with arrows sticking out of various parts of their anatomy.

If allowing crossbows means that some of these people who are too lazy to practice with a compound can shoot more accurately with the same amount of practice and kill deer instead of wounding them, then so be it. 

One of the reasons I am (even though not interested in using one myself) pro-crossbow is not because of any perceived shortcomings of vertical bows, it the shortcomings of some of the people using them.  Let's face it, whether we like it or not there are A LOT of people out there who 1) Don't practice nearly as much as they should and 2) Take shots at distances they have no business shooting.

I know of people dust off their bow the week before season and shoot it a half dozen times and think that's good enough.  Then come winter you see deer running around with arrows sticking out of various parts of their anatomy.

If allowing crossbows means that some of these people who are too lazy to practive with a compound can shoot more accurately with the same amount of practice and kill deer instead of wounding them, then so be it.

Those same folk probably would take the same dust off lazy approach to the crossbow ...and probably do with their guns too....." I was on 3 years ago when I sighted it in and it has been in my cabinet....has to be on"....I know of those guys too...sad

I'm sure, but the old "You don't need to practice/they're so easy to use" seems to be one of the more common arguments against them.  If that were truly the case then it wouldn't matter, right?

(Wasn't until I read your quote that I noticed I typed practiVe.) :-[  ;)

I own a recurve ,a longbow( Had an accident with it). 3 compounds and  have shot and owned 2 x bows. There is a definite advantage when you compare the compound and x bow with the recurves and longbows. But the comparison between x bows and compounds is a much smaller gap. just speaking from my experience with them. But I have no problem with whatever method is deemed legal. Its not the weapon used. It's the one using the weapon. There are downfalls with all of them.To have the freedom or option to choose what to use would be not so bad. I would have to get a new x-bow though.

Untill the sportsman show a united front and stand up for all hunting and fishing and trapping,the decisions will be made by the squeaky wheels and political special interest's,as far as the guy's who make a choice to just dust off the implements of choice,thats their decision and they suffer the

outcome good or bad,as much as some of us do not agree with that

i dont care eithor way now.I cant hunt cyotes at night with a x bow i don't want one.The advantage isn't that much greater than a bow for daytime deer hunting.Other than having a scope and a lazer if i was to use on cyotes.It would be good for hunting cyotes in urban areas at night.Meh,whatever.Stupid law.

For those of you who have'nt seen this yet

January 13, 2011

Video: First-Ever Auto-Cocking Crossbow 

Every now and then an innovation comes along that completely revolutionizes the way we do things. And that's exactly what occurred this past weekend, when Parker Bows unveiled its new Concorde crossbow at the Archery Trade Association Show in Indianapolis—the first-ever automatic-cocking crossbow.

New Parker Concorde Crossbow      <blockquote>  Here is the official press release from Parker!!!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PARKER REDEFINES MODERN CROSSBOW DESIGN WITH THE

LAUNCH OF THE CONCORDE – THE FIRST EVER “AUTO-COCKING” CROSSBOW.

MINT SPRING, VA. December 10th, 2010 …. Parker Bows does it again with the launch of another industry

first: the Parker Concorde Crossbow with the patented Quick Draw System - the first ever automatic cocking crossbow. The Concorde redefines the modern hunting crossbow with push-button ease of operation and 300+ feet per second performance.

At the heart of the Concorde is Parker’s patented Quick Draw System, which features a CO2 powered internal cocking mechanism. The Quick Draw System is operated by simply pressing a button that is recessed into the rear of the butt stock. By pressing the button, the Concorde automatically draws the string into the fully-cocked position. It really is that easy. Plus, it cocks the crossbow in approximately two (2) seconds and is whisper quiet in its operation.

The CO2 is supplied via a standard, refillable 9 ounce CO2 bottle. A full bottle can cock the Concorde approximately 50 times. In addition to cocking the Concorde, the Quick Draw System also allows you to quickly and easily “Un-Cock” the crossbow with the same push of a button. The Concorde also features Parker’s 100% metal G2 Trigger which is 100% Made in USA and is backed by

Parker’s 100% Lifetime warranty. The Concorde will be debuted at the 2011 Archery Trade Association Show in Indianapolis. The Concorde is the future.

To see the Concorde on video and get all of the technical data, check out the Parker website next week. Visit www.parkerbows.com/Concorde

Parker Concorde with Quick Draw System

The First Ever “Auto-Cocking” Crossbow

::)  ..... And so it begins.

</blockquote>

and so what begins Doc? Just because someone makes it, doesnt mean it will be legal to use in NY. Companies build automatic rifles, doesnt mean you can hunt with them here.  ::)

Hey, maybe yes ... maybe no. It kind of puts me in mind of that full auto crossbow that that guy came up with. There seems to be no end to what they can do now that they have a stock to work off of. At least the crossbow companies will be keeping the watchdogs busy from now on trying to keep up with a whole new platform of technological advances and there will be plenty of work available for the crossbow lobbyists. ;)

I remember when the first compounds were marketed and legalized. Nobody really took them too seriously either. That Allen compound looked like a real joke and wasn't really all that much better than a good recurve. Laws didn't slow down their technological growth very much over the years did they? Well anyway, we'll see how it all works out over the long haul  ;) . It's a bit early to make any predictions yet, but the opportunities are certainly there as demonstrated by this particular unit.

Sure the opportunities are there, but for some strange reason you seem to think a crossbow having a stock is something new. Its just up to the states to set regulations on cocking mechanisms, just like they have regulations for drawing devices for vertical bows.

No I don't think that the stock is something new, but it sure seems to be drawing some very current attention of the crossbow engineering staffs. They seem to be just now discovering how much mechanism that can be packaged in that space. I sure do feel a lot better now with all your assurances that these advances will be shot down by regulations and laws. I wish we had a little better record of that actually happening in the past. like I say, time will tell.

New Parker Concorde Crossbow      <blockquote>  Here is the official press release from Parker!!!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

MINT SPRING, VA. December 10th, 2010 …. Parker Bows does it again with the launch of another industry

first: the Parker Concorde Crossbow with the patented Quick Draw System - the first ever automatic cocking crossbow. The Concorde redefines the modern hunting crossbow with push-button ease of operation and 300+ feet per second performance.

At the heart of the Concorde is Parker’s patented Quick Draw System, which features a CO2 powered internal cocking mechanism. The Quick Draw System is operated by simply pressing a button that is recessed into the rear of the butt stock. By pressing the button, the Concorde automatically draws the string into the fully-cocked position. It really is that easy. Plus, it cocks the crossbow in approximately two (2) seconds and is whisper quiet in its operation.

The CO2 is supplied via a standard, refillable 9 ounce CO2 bottle. A full bottle can cock the Concorde approximately 50 times. In addition to cocking the Concorde, the Quick Draw System also allows you to quickly and easily “Un-Cock” the crossbow with the same push of a button. The Concorde also features Parker’s 100% metal G2 Trigger which is 100% Made in USA and is backed by

Parker’s 100% Lifetime warranty. The Concorde will be debuted at the 2011 Archery Trade Association Show in Indianapolis. The Concorde is the future.

To see the Concorde on video and get all of the technical data, check out the Parker website next week. Visit www.parkerbows.com/Concorde

::)  ..... And so it begins.

</blockquote>

Nice try Doctor Doom, but this is totally ridiculous...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

:;)  ..... And so it begins.

</blockquote>

John Mast strikes again!

Legit question here.. what difference would it make whether you cocked the crossbow manually or auotmatically if its cocked and locked way before you shoot it anyway... I could see the problem with it if guys were cocking the crossbows just before they shoot..but thats not the case

Legit question here.. what difference would it make whether you cocked the crossbow manually or auotmatically if its cocked and locked way before you shoot it anyway... I could see the problem with it if guys were cocking the crossbows just before they shoot..but thats not the case

Yes, you have to wonder why a company like Parker would waste all that R&D money and marketing cash on something that has no value.

I guess an automatic cocking device on a crossbow would be acceptable under the A.D.A. :-\