send letters for crossbows in NY

The bill will expire on December 31, 2012, unless the Legislature and Governor decide to extend the law.

called my state legislator's office today to express my opinion to let this lapse and that he should survey his constituents - the liaison thought a survey was a good idea

How could any hunter want to make a tool used for 1000's of years and legal in most states to not be a legal weapon in even the gun season?? Absolutely unbelievable. :O :;)

I actually would rather it wasn't included in bow season (except for disabled hunters)... I would like to see it have a season of its own. But I still don't understand why the NYB is so threatened by it.

I would support a proposal like that NY. I won't be using one unless it gave me an increased season length (a seperate cross bow only season). I think NY would stand to earn the most money that way if they issued a cross bow license.

I actually would rather it wasn't included in bow season (except for disabled hunters)... I would like to see it have a season of its own. But I still don't understand why the NYB is so threatened by it.

Yea, Im buying one to extend my season to NJ and PA early seasons, then in NY for late season....but I wish the late season for Crossbow was longer than 1 week or whatever it is. why not make it 2 full weeks?

Wish I could....tried many times...I had a bad snowboarding accident and I separated my shoulder, grade 3....never did the surgery, rehabbed it well enough I can play golf, etc....the pulling motion of drawing back a bow just doesnt work for me....can barely get back 40lbs....my only option would be to shoot lefty, but I am right eye dominate, and shoot shotguns/rifles righty....one bow pro suggest i wear an eye patch and try to shoot a compound lefty.

Nah, I haven't.......I will be buying a crossbow soon though....going to try NJ early October, then going to PA 10/30 - 11/6, then have the shotgun season here in NY, then do xbow in late NYS season.....Maybe 4 bucks this year? haha........I only have 5 in my life so far.

That's too bad....good luck to you. 

Have you looked into the draw lock provision that passed with the crossbow in gun season bill?

My understanding is that allows the use of a draw lock for those with a permit during bowseason.

Arrow,

As the law is right now you have to be almost a parapalegic to qualify for a crossbow or draw lock in this state right now. Guys like Biz would not be able to utilize one as the law currently is.

That's too bad....good luck to you. 

Have you looked into the draw lock provision that passed with the crossbow in gun season bill?

My understanding is that allows the use of a draw lock for those with a permit during bowseason.

Arrow,

As the law is right now you have to be almost a parapalegic to qualify for a crossbow or draw lock in this state right now. Guys like Biz would not be able to utilize one as the law currently is.

True on the crossbow.

Not true on the draw lock.  They changed the rule to allow them with a permit.  Should be legal starting this year. 

The only reason there is a crossbow vs bowhunter controversy is due to elitist propaganda pushed out by NYB and organizations like it.

Nonsense.  The controversy has been created by crossbow pushers like you who demand that crossbows be allowed in bow season.  NYB is simply trying to protect bow hunting and bow hunters. 

Remember, crossbows have always been illegal.  It is preposterous that you would blame NYB for creating the controversy.

Support each other?  LMFAO.

Then crossbow hunters should support bowhunters, too.  The door swings both ways.  An easy way to do that is to find a different season, instead of forcing their way into ours, where they have always been illegal, where they will never belong.

Well said. It's always the people who want to abide by the law who are accused of undermining the collective.

It's pretty obvious that the people who want to force their way into a season that excludes them are the ones not respecting their fellow hunters.

If you really want to push the whole, "Hey, can't we all just get along" BS, then respect the regulations, and we can all move on...in peace.

The only reason there is a crossbow vs bowhunter controversy is due to elitist propaganda pushed out by NYB and organizations like it.

Nonsense.  The controversy has been created by crossbow pushers like you who demand that crossbows be allowed in bow season.  NYB is simply trying to protect bow hunting and bow hunters. 

Remember, crossbows have always been illegal.  It is preposterous that you would blame NYB for creating the controversy.

Support each other?  LMFAO.

Then crossbow hunters should support bowhunters, too.  The door swings both ways.  An easy way to do that is to find a different season, instead of forcing their way into ours, where they have always been illegal, where they will never belong.

Well said. It's always the people who want to abide by the law who are accused of undermining the collective.

It's pretty obvious that the people who want to force their way into a season that excludes them are the ones not respecting their fellow hunters.

If you really want to push the whole, "Hey, can't we all just get along" BS, then respect the regulations, and we can all move on...in peace.

Most seem to conveniately forget compounds where not always legal in the bow season. Neither where mechanical releases.

If some had not lobbied for them and moved on to "respect the regulations", then most  "bowhunters" would still have to be using a real bow.

Most seem to conveniately forget compounds where not always legal in the bow season. Neither where mechanical releases.

If some had not lobbied for them and moved on to "respect the regulations", then most  "bowhunters" would still have to be using a real bow.

I don't ever remember a time that compounds or releases were specifically called out as illegal equipment, or having to lobby to get that law changed.

You have a link?

Ask anyone that was hunting at that time in NY.

Arguements where they where not bows, where too easy, and would ruin the bowseason.

Sound familiar?

I didn't ask what the opinion on the street was.

I asked for evidence that were illegal.  I'm almost 50, and I don't recall it. 

Even if it were true....they decided to allow compounds and releases, but kept crossbows illegal.  What does that tell you, Steve-O?

Wasn't a lot of internet then.

Tells me the same tired lame excuses didn't work then and are just as foolish now.

Especially when their are tons of facts and examples proving otherwise for those capable of

using reason and logic. Pretty tough for those that can't obviously.

There is no "O" in Steve - but feel free to keep spelling it that way if it does something for you.

So you have no evidence that compounds were once illegal?

Or that releases were once illegal?

Your whole analogy hinges on those facts.  Are you just making the whole thing up?

How old are you, anyway?  Were you even in the trenches back in those days?

And the clock ticks, as the mad Google search ensues.....

So you have no evidence that compounds were once illegal?

Or that releases were once illegal?

Your whole analogy hinges on those facts.  Are you just making the whole thing up?

How old are you, anyway?  Were you even in the trenches back in those days?

And the clock ticks, as the mad Google search ensues.....

No google search here - I was there.

And I am furnishing the same level of documentation for this one that AF has used to support anything he has said here - probably more since I don't avoid any legitimate questions.