One pin to shoot them all

sweet old bill

I set up my bow to have 3 marks on a slider sight with the first mark is 25 yards, 2nd is 35 yards abd 3rd is 45 yards....

But with the 25 yards I have in the past been able to take just about all deer I have seen in the woods. I am shooting a Alpine 3D bow at 60 lbs weight, 29 inch draw and bemen 400 spine carbon arrow with 100 gr points.

IN a survey posted in a deer mag the average shotest shot  was just uner 8 yards with the longest shoot  was 35 yards and the average for all hunter was 20 yards.

based on that info and with test shooting with my bow if I am for the center of the deer checst with the 25 yard pin I can hit in the kill zone from 15 yards to 30 yards. If a deer is closer under 15 yards I have to just hold a inch low and if the deer is out to 35 yards I just have to hold 2 inch high...

what are you finding for your hunting. I see now some sight have 7 pins, my god with my old eyes I jusrt would see a blur....

Bill

I have 20 and 30 and 40 yard pins on the bow right now. When the season begins the 40 yard pin will come off leaving only two pins (20 & 30 yds) Those are separated enough so there is no problem identifying which pin to use. I am shooting 57# and using aluminum arrows, so we're not talking blazing speed here, and the two pins seem to cover everything out to 30 yards pretty nicely without much of a built-in error of trying to eliminate one of those two pins.

Doc

I went to the slider sight with the .029 fiber optic scope so that keeps me from having a problem with the pins coming together in a blur. I just leve the pin on 25 yards and sure have never had to move it in the last several years...

Bill-

I have designed and built what works great for me as regards low-light visibility, and focus requirements for older used-up eyes. Actually they are not pins at all, but brightly colored rings. Each sight is a threaded pin with about a 3/16" ring crimped and soldered on the end. So my sight picture is looking through the peep sight and centering the bulls-eye (or aiming spot on the deer) inside the aperature.

I got real tired of my sight pin covering up the spot I was trying to hit, and concentricity of using circular sights is such a natural sighting feature that I decide to experiment with "rings". Now I look through my round peep sight and center these small rings, and center the bulls-eye in those other circles. What I found was that it gave me a completely unimpaired view of the exact spot I was trying to hit and the pin was of a size that I could see it even beyond the end of legal shooting hours, so visibility was enhanced in lo-light conditions. I've been using that sighting system for years now and have not once missed squinting at those tiny little colored balls at the end of my pins, covering up my bullseye.

Doc

When does production start?

Put my name on the waiting list!

Bad enough when you were glasses, but add bifocals on top.

I've graduated to trifocals. Don't know what's next???

Seeing eye dog that is a pointer for my bow hunting buddy!

Actually, they were easy to make. I had an old Cobra sight that had the little dinky colored balls on the end. They had all the hardware for independant vertical and horizontal adjustments which I used as-is. I threw the pins themselves into a drawer and got some long screws with the same thread as the original Cobra pins and cut the head off. Then I took a hacksaw and sawed a shallow slot down the center of the stud approximately 1/16 deep. Then I used some thin, stiff wire and wrapped it around and awl until it made a loop and the gave it a few twists so that I had one loop with a twisted pigtail coming out. I snipped off the pigtail about 1/16 from the loop and stuck it in the hacksaw slot. Then I took a heavy pair of pliers and pinched the slot in the stud shut, crimping it onto the loop's pigtail. Then I soldered the whole thing to completely lock the loop into the stud. A little bright paint, and the thing was ready to assemble back onto the original Cobra Mounting bracket. I made up a bunch of them until I got them just the way I wanted them, and have been using them ever since. The things are virtually indestructible. I've had a few occasions where that feature was tested ..... ha-ha.

If I can remember it, I will take a few pictures and post them here to help clarify the process. They were kind of fun to make and made a good winter project when I was getting a bit of cabin fever.

Doc

If I can actually remember how to post pictures, here are what the pins look like. As you can see, I am not the world's best craftsman, and I'm sure any of you can probably come up with pins that look a whole lot more professional. But the one thing I will say is that these are fully functional and have been working well for me for quite a few years.

Doc

post-11-131455328276_thumb.jpg

post-11-131455328291_thumb.jpg

post-11-131455328303_thumb.jpg

post-11-13145532832_thumb.jpg

But who will hear a arrow shot ????

I still do not need to wear glasses all the time, just for reading and any work with small items etc. LIke fletching or adjusting a bow..

.I still pass the test for driving without glasses but I am sure that is next.

My concern would be if you ware glasses how do you keep them from fogging up and or does other weather conditions cause a major problem.

My shooting buddy at 75 just had eye repair work done, he now does not need any type of glasses. My question to him was  " How much extra for the new lens with the cross hair in it ".... he is shooting so good I can not believe what a change it made.

i have 3 pins one of which i do not use....

i have a pin i call the tree stand pin which i use for shots 17 yards and under

i have a 20 yard pin i can use anything from 15 yards out to 45 and then i have a 50 yard pin which i never used considering on my one 20 yard pin i can reach out with that pin.

i think with alot of these new bows you can kind of get away from using so many pins, ive seen guys with  10, 20, 30, 40. Its pretty funny but what ever works for them.

my buddy came over the house and was using his 20 yard pin at 20 and was dead on. we then moved out to 30 yards and he used his 30 yard pin. he was consistently hitting high and the pins were not really far apart. i told him to use his 20 yard pin at 30 and he was dead on again... so...

he found it funny i only used my 20 yard pin, unless i was in the stand up high and a deer is in close where i utilize my tree stand pin.

I'll stick with my single pin sights . No need for multiple pins .

You know after messing with my "customized" sight bracket last week I can see the value in a single pin system. What a pain, it all started with a minor peep sight adjustment and that led to a week long battle with teeny tiny pins.. the good news is I'm all polished up and ready for the season.

By the way "customized" can also be called cobbed in my case, I swithced pins to a smaller diameter and had to drill out the track of the sight bracket to get the new ones in. A hand held drill is not a milling machine! haha I am a cheap bastard.