Losing some hunting property --Help!

Deerthug

The good thing about it is when we subdivided and we took the deed to the approx 30 acres we included a covenant in the deed that restricts the sale or use of the adjacent lands for purposes of hunting, hiking, camping, 4wheeling and the like.

I already contacted the sellers attorney (same as the one who represented the seller when we bought) and reminded him of the restriction and he was aware of them. Though he is not sure what this new buyer plans on doing with the land.

Not a bad price at all. There's a 3 acre property I would love to buy for $100K or less in Putnam County for hunting. The seller won't budge from $180K.

Dude, who in his right mind would pay $100K for 3 crummy acres to hunt on??? I don't care what county it's in. What type of quality hunting would you expect to do on 3 acres? One could spit from one end of the property to the other. This must be the gag of the week here or something?

The good thing about it is when we subdivided and we took the deed to the approx 30 acres we included a covenant in the deed that restricts the sale or use of the adjacent lands for purposes of hunting, hiking, camping, 4wheeling and the like.

I already contacted the sellers attorney (same as the one who represented the seller when we bought) and reminded him of the restriction and he was aware of them. Though he is not sure what this new buyer plans on doing with the land.

Changed my tune on this one......buyer is a fool to buy anything with restrictions.......there IS one born every minute.

Too many great properties in the area for same money.

On the other end; good on ya' for getting them in there!

Edited by Dinsdale

I'm guessing I'm about 15 minutes or so from your place.....

I can cover during the week with some trap,handgun, and a couple of breaked rifles that really scream......ask my neighbor.LOL

No thank you! Stay right where you are or i'll sic my mean Maltipoo on you. His bark is worse than his bite and he'll really lick you to death! LOL

No thank you! Stay right where you are or i'll sic my mean Maltipoo on you. His bark is worse than his bite and he'll really lick you to death! LOL

Ok; but you know where to find me.

On a positive note; there have been some real nice deer between 9 and 9G off a couple of the roads that cut through that area (did some work there this summer on a few places)

Hope you get one. Good hunting.

• Like 1

Why on earth would anyone spend that kind of money for something they can't build on? Are you sure they can't build? Unless someone is dirt rich I also couldn't imagine someone spending that kind of money for hunting land either, especially anywhere in southeastern NYS when that kind of money can get you a huge spread somewhere else. There are some treehuggers out there who have money and want some property in the country. If those type bought the land next to yours you may need more than your toes and fingers crossed to get hunting access.

anything but natural wetlands is buildable. its just stupid to spend that kind of money to get it done. id find a nice hiding spot alng a funnel nearing an exit to the soybeans. it would be perfect in a late afternoon watch. set up a cam or two and see whatcha got.

Ok; but you know where to find me.

On a positive note; there have been some real nice deer between 9 and 9G off a couple of the roads that cut through that area (did some work there this summer on a few places)

Hope you get one. Good hunting.

Thanks! Good hunting to you as well!

"The good thing about it is when we subdivided and we took the deed to the approx 30 acres we included a covenant in the deed that restricts the sale or use of the adjacent lands for purposes of hunting, hiking, camping, 4wheeling and the like"

So it should restrict you also. Sounds like its been illegal for you to hunt there already.

No we had permssion from the owner separately. It forbid him from leasing, renting or sellng to others. I made sure of that.

The reason was because before it was subdivided the owner rented out to a local gun club and we wanted to make sure he could not do it anymore.

Edited by Deerthug

many deeds have easements, right of ways, restrictions, etc, etc. that run with the land FOREVER, from owner to owner.

I have a driveway easement on my neighbors land. he can't prevent me from using it. it's a legal binding easement, and the courts will uphold it.

I have another lot, which has a 100' easement on the neighbor. I have full rights to 100' of his property, and he pays the taxes. Some deeds are CrAzY.

many deeds have easements, right of ways, restrictions, etc, etc. that run with the land FOREVER, from owner to owner.

I have a driveway easement on my neighbors land. he can't prevent me from using it. it's a legal binding easement, and the courts will uphold it.

I have another lot, which has a 100' easement on the neighbor. I have full rights to 100' of his property, and he pays the taxes. Some deeds are CrAzY.

Easements to use driveways and right of ways are similar to ovenants and restrictions preventing use of certain lands. Courts do uphold and enforce both. Especially where the land is landlocked and the only way to access it is through a neighboring property. Restrictions and easements do run with the land and can go on for hundreds of years.

- Jordan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Deerthug

Dude, who in his right mind would pay $100K for 3 crummy acres to hunt on??? I don't care what county it's in. What type of quality hunting would you expect to do on 3 acres? One could spit from one end of the property to the other. This must be the gag of the week here or something?

It borders the 8 acres my Dad and I have hunted for 20+ years. It's a 12 minute drive my parents house and 35 minutes from where I live. We have more bucks killed combined on these 8 acres than years hunted. There is no food sources around, except for the occasionally acorn. If we owned the 3 acres, we could put a small food plot, etc. Additionally, it is board approved for a 5BR house. Someday it would be worth much more than $100K anyway.

I can agree with you that it's your own property, but it's one thing doing something on your own property quietly and another when you are producing loud noise for an extended period of time that echos all over the area. I guess in some locations in the state this may be acceptable, but I know for a fact that it wouldn't swing for long in Deerthug's area.

One more reason I'm glad im far from NYC. Everyone wants to move to the "country" but don't want the smells,noise or farm equipment on the roads, to funny.

Kinda like me moving to NYC and complaining of the sirens,horns,and crowds.....

If that land was mine and the neighbor stopped me from shooting I know that opening day Id be all over the property line shooting and hanging dirty work out socks, to name a couple things. 30 acres is not much land and its narrow to boot.

I'd think a little give and take is in order.

Edited by Larry302

in my area I have seen 1/2 acre $250,000 2 1/2 acres $250,000 and 4 acres $500,000 and I'm an hour north of the city. If he's a reired Nassau cop he most likely is a very well off and this is going to be his retirement home or vacation place. I highly doublt he's trying to open a public range but best of luck to you if you try to stop him from using it as his own private range. Try to become his friend or count your losses. Sorry

This is pretty exciting! Just doing the math, at these prices my 180 acres of deer and turkey infested land is worth about 20 million. That does not even take into account the house, 3 1/2 stall garage and 14 x 32 foot deer camp, I built here. Any takers!!!!! Oh, and nobody gives a darned where you shoot around here. Also, surrounded by many thousand acres of state game lands and horse trails. I have not been following much of this post so I'm not sure what the beef is with the retired cop, but if he has a buddy let me know.

This is pretty exciting! Just doing the math, at these prices my 180 acres of deer and turkey infested land is worth about 20 million. That does not even take into account the house, 3 1/2 stall garage and 14 x 32 foot deer camp, I built here. Any takers!!!!! Oh, and nobody gives a darned where you shoot around here. Also, surrounded by many thousand acres of state game lands and horse trails. I have not been following much of this post so I'm not sure what the beef is with the retired cop, but if he has a buddy let me know.

Not if you live in the middle of nowhere in NY. 180 acres around here could be $5-$20MM