Pretty Quiet on here

sssurfertim

I know it sounds weird,But I do all my pre-season Suffolk scouting wearing my chest waders I use for surf casting.It keeps me protected up to my arm pits.I also wear long sleeve t-shirt with rubber gloves.Yes,I must appear like a seriel killer if anyone see's me in the woods,But Lyme disease scares the hell out me.

Don't you sweat your boys off??

This year, all my scouting has turned up random (not concentrated) deer sign in places where you almost never normally see deer, and little to no sign in the traditional travel areas. The drought has taken its toll on traditional patterns. This all means that my usual quicky scouting has to be a bit more extensive than I normally would do. I'm not real happy about that because all that extra scouting means more disruption and intrusion into hunting areas. But, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

I've been a little low on the scouting, this being my first year bow hunting I'm not used to the early start.

I never thought it mattered but I guess it does being that the brush is still thick, it's pretty warm still, and the bugs are heavy.

I'll be going to check my camera's soon though just in hopes of seeing something nice!

Scouting is a HUGE part of bow hunting because you have to get so much closer to the deer then you do with a rifle. I guess you can get away with less if you have well established stands near apple trees or something that really draws in the deer before they start chasing. Its also a good time to get out in the woods now and plug a few squirrels while checking cameras, rubs, scraps, etc..

Same here got chigger bites all over my feet and ankles from the island and then went upstate and got 5 bee stings from ground hornets and poison ivy. Talk about bad luck!!!!!

i tell you LI guys all the time lol...if your hunting out here this will be your new best friend!! since ive started using it a few years back i pick chiggers up but they die and fall off. they never penetrate my clothes! use it you will love it. works mint for tick and skeets also

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Premium-Permethrin-Clothing-Repellent/dp/B007VCRX2S/ref=pd_sim_hpc_1/179-3993702-4775417

Went out today with my son today to reset our camera. Thoroughly sprayed up with Sawyers and guess what...... we got full of chiggers. We found patches of hundreds of them on our legs. Brushed them off and got back to the truck and used a mini whisk broom to get the rest of the tiny bastards off of us. Some of them looked like they were dead back at the truck but other ones were crawling on my pants and looked to be very much alive and well. Guess the spray isnt as effective as it says. Only hope we didnt get too many on our skin otherwise it will be time to break out the sandpaper and wood files to scratch.....LOL. I got infested with them about a month ago at work and my legs finally healed up after looking like a pulled pork sandwich after all the scratching.

not sure which one you get but i dont get the aerosol spray i get the pump. i would put money down that i hunt prob some of the tickest woods lol and i check my self every so often to see. i do pick up chiggers but i always carry the bottle as well incase i pick a lot of them up respray instantly. i put a good amount on before i leave the car also so its fresh and i also wear rubber boots. i have had ZERO issues with chiggers, honestly. i swear by that stuff it works and its the only thing i found that does. If you getting back to your car and you have live chiggers on you i didnt apply enough and or you missed spots with the spray...

Thats what I use. Be careful it says let clothes thoroughly dry before putting clothes on. Not sure why, but I try to adhere to it don't want to come out of the woods missing a leg or something... Stuff definitely is certainly potent wouldn't want to be drinking it thats for sure...

yes it does say that... i spray it on lightly not heavily. doesnt touch my skin. i dont think it would be the end of the world if it did tho. i have gotten on my arm once while in the woods scouting and didnt do anything. good stuff

Geno,

That is exactly what i use but it does nothing for chiggers. if you rub up against the wong bush or area of grass you will be covered in them!!!!!!! Now for ticks after the chiggers die off that spray works wonders and i wont go in the woods without treating my clothes first.

John

i tell you LI guys all the time lol...if your hunting out here this will be your new best friend!! since ive started using it a few years back i pick chiggers up but they die and fall off. they never penetrate my clothes! use it you will love it. works mint for tick and skeets also

http://www.amazon.co...3993702-4775417

John it does not repel the chiggers right off the bat, give it a minute you will see them start falling off and dieing... this is why i reapply as i go makes em die FAST. iam 100% sure it does its job on chiggers and does it well. you just have to make sure you have good coverage and use enough and it works even faster. dont be fooled and think you will walk though the grass and not pick them up cause you have this product. NO product will do that for you. You have to give it a min to kill them off while on you. they will not penetrate your clothes and get to your skin

I am still debating weather or not I want to battle them... That stuff sounds like it will melt your skinn off if you are not carefull... Chiggas, lyme, fleas, ticks and skitters arg come on cold weather!!! Nice frost would be good!!! I pray for snow this year!!! (For hunting season only!)

Was out finishing setting blinds last weekend and went to check trail camera's and found that someone stole the SD cards on 2 out of three camera's and left the cameras but loosten the straps so they couldn't take pictures of them as they walked away. Will be interesting to see if the person who took the cards damages or steals my blinds !! Or I will be gracious and say maybe they just wanted to see if there were any deer on the property and will return the cards and either tape them to the tree where they "borrowed" them from or put them atop my chair in my blind. My hunting buddy got bitten up with Lonestar Tick larvae two weeks ago and he is still itching. There are no chiggers this far north.

Paul

Unless you are private land, I wouldn't even consider putting out a camera. The risk is too expensive. For as much enjoyment out of hunting LI that i get, there is so much to detract from it. 4 wheelers and motor bikes going back and forth all afternoon, Kids playing in the woods, anti hunters leaving notes on your car or calling the police on you, other hunters who steal your equipment. The list goes on. What are you gonna do? Not hunt the Island at all? I tried that for two years and then came back to it. couldnt stay away.

Unless you are private land, I wouldn't even consider putting out a camera. The risk is too expensive. For as much enjoyment out of hunting LI that i get, there is so much to detract from it. 4 wheelers and motor bikes going back and forth all afternoon, Kids playing in the woods, anti hunters leaving notes on your car or calling the police on you, other hunters who steal your equipment. The list goes on. What are you gonna do? Not hunt the Island at all? I tried that for two years and then came back to it. couldnt stay away.

This is why after a few attempts of hunting LI I gave up and started upstate. If you could get on one of those golf course or apple orchards out there wow! Saw some incredible deer