Pretty Quiet on here

sssurfertim

I can't be the only one thats been doing some scouting. Can't beleive how over grown some of the scrub brush has gotten in my hunting spot, used to be knee high and is now over my waist. Got out on some of these cooler mornings and took some nice hikes, kicked up a few deer, and ran into a small group of turkeys in a clear cut going after grass hoppers. Hows the acorn crop? I hunt the pine barrens and have found a couple of oaks with a bunch, hunting the oaks usually is the best way to see a deer for me since its really the only food in the hundreds of acres of pines. I will probably hunt LI during the week and then head upstate for columbus day weekend. I wanted to put trailcams out but im scared of them getting stolen.

Hey sssurfertim,

I've also been scouting a bit and setting up a few stands/climber trees. Feels great getting out. Also have seen some deer and am pretty happy with the sign in my spots. I was out last weekend in a peice of woods in Brookhaven that has a lot of white oak trees. In short, I've never seen so many white oak acorns on the ground. They were literally everywhere. I was out on sunday, and it was very windy all day on saturday, so I'm sure that wind had something to do with it.

In my experience, a bumper crop of acorns slows down movement in these types of areas. But I'm not sure how it will play out. Last weekend was a full 3 weeks ahead of the season. Will deer clean them off the forest floor by then? could it be that "most" of the acorns recently fell and thats why I saw so many? I don;t know...

I got out for the first time today. Trimmed some stands and the neighbor brush hogged a few spots. Lots of sign. Surprised to see a lot of apples. The corn is still up in one field too. i'm heading back out Mon. to hang another stand and scout a little more.

I pulled cards last weekend and found 1 cam had 0 pics....the battery pack in the back of the camera died? I dunno,the regular batteries were brand new Duracell a week before that.When I looked at the small 3 pack,they had some light corrosion,so me thinks they are done.The cam wont even power up.

i started using duranon (sp?) made by coultons this year for ticks/chigger. its the type you treat your clothes and allow them to dry before use (dont spray on yourself). its been amazing. in two scouting trips, i havent seen a tick. as for the chiggers, i been tucking my pant cuffs into high boots and then duct taping the top of the boots to my pants. its been working well to keep them out.

i started using duranon (sp?) made by coultons this year for ticks/chigger. its the type you treat your clothes and allow them to dry before use (dont spray on yourself). its been amazing. in two scouting trips, i havent seen a tick. as for the chiggers, i been tucking my pant cuffs into high boots and then duct taping the top of the boots to my pants. its been working well to keep them out.

I used the Coulsons stuff all the time but had problem with the arisol running out way before the bottle was empty. Sawyers sells a pint with a spray head on it and is easyer to use. Its all the same stuff, I just prefer the pump spray. mbucks27 you got me worried about those chiggers now!

What the heck is a chigger ???

I suspect that it is ANOTHER good reason to live upstate...<<grin>>...

Tiny, tiny, did I say tiny? critters thats like to crawl into your boots and pantlegs and take refuge under your skin usually around your ankles. They are actually tick larve but everyone just calls them chiggers. I was told there are no actual "chiggers" in NY like they have down south, but who cares they both suck to get.

I have heard the term and I knew they were some kind of pesky insect..

Never heard of them here in Steuben County, though...As for ticks, in over 60 years I have only had one on me, although I've picked a few off my dogs.. We DO have our share of skeeters, black flies and deer flies, though..

I've been a little low on the scouting, this being my first year bow hunting I'm not used to the early start.

I never thought it mattered but I guess it does being that the brush is still thick, it's pretty warm still, and the bugs are heavy.

I'll be going to check my camera's soon though just in hopes of seeing something nice!

chiggers do not go under your skin thats a myth...

Chigger mites infest human skin via areas of contact with vegetation, such as pant cuffs or shirt sleeves and collars. They migrate on the skin in search of an optimal feeding area. A common myth about chiggers is that they burrow into and remain inside the skin. This is not true. Chiggers insert their feeding structures into the skin and inject enzymes that cause destruction of host tissue. Hardening of the surrounding skin results in the formation of a feeding tube called a stylostome. Chigger larvae then feed upon the destroyed tissue. If they are not disturbed (which is rarely the case because of they cause substantial itching) they may feed through the stylostome for a few days.

I know it sounds weird,But I do all my pre-season Suffolk scouting wearing my chest waders I use for surf casting.It keeps me protected up to my arm pits.I also wear long sleeve t-shirt with rubber gloves.Yes,I must appear like a seriel killer if anyone see's me in the woods,But Lyme disease scares the hell out me.

• Like 1

I know it sounds weird,But I do all my pre-season Suffolk scouting wearing my chest waders I use for surf casting.It keeps me protected up to my arm pits.I also wear long sleeve t-shirt with rubber gloves.Yes,I must appear like a seriel killer if anyone see's me in the woods,But Lyme disease scares the hell out me.

Haha My buddie and I wear white underarmor treated with the sawyers, we try to get out of the truck and into the woods as fast as we can, we get some strange stares by passing motorists!

Scouted some today. Pulled card on my camera, was a shitty set. Must have had over 150 videos of turkeys. Only one ratty six right behind a doe smelling her trail like she was hott, kind of strange for this time of year. Moved camera to a fresh scrape. Hopefully I didn't get chiggered up.

Scouted and squirrel hunted here in Ohio. I am headed to Moose River Plains this next weekend for Bear.

Here we have very little apple production and moderate rotten black berries this summer. The acorns are dropping and a little smaller than last year. The chestnut trees have a good amount of quantity and mass. The trouble is locating these trees. Usually along suburban properties/woods.

I am stoked to go to Moose River Plains. Gonna pull an all nighter after work to get there.

Went out today with my son today to reset our camera. Thoroughly sprayed up with Sawyers and guess what...... we got full of chiggers. We found patches of hundreds of them on our legs. Brushed them off and got back to the truck and used a mini whisk broom to get the rest of the tiny bastards off of us. Some of them looked like they were dead back at the truck but other ones were crawling on my pants and looked to be very much alive and well. Guess the spray isnt as effective as it says. Only hope we didnt get too many on our skin otherwise it will be time to break out the sandpaper and wood files to scratch.....LOL. I got infested with them about a month ago at work and my legs finally healed up after looking like a pulled pork sandwich after all the scratching.

Edited by RichZ7