Elmo's 2012 Bowhunt

Elmo

This public land I've scouted is a valley with a small stream at the bottom. While deer signs spread out on both sides of the valley, they seem to funnel at a certain point at the base of the valley by the stream. Stream runs north and south. Only entrance is from the east which is a road that borders the park. While I know several deer cross that stream, I just don't know when. During one of my scouts, I kicked up a couple of deer 200 yards south of the entrance. Went into the park around noon, kicked up the deer around 5:30PM.

This morning I arrive at entrance at 7:30AM. As I'm unpacking car, woman who lives across the street is leaving for work. I waved at her but she completely ignores me. Either she didn't notice that I waved or she didn't like hunters. I thought to myself "if you don't like hunting then you shouldn't live across the street from a hunting area". I closed my trunk, I strapped my climber on my back, backpack to my front. Grab my bow, click the remote to activate the car alarm (force of habit, I live int he city). I walked maybe 30 yards into the area and a deer jumps out and runs westward down into the valley! It was sleeping 30 yards from the car. It is worth mentioning that the wind was blowing up the valley here. West to east. I was hoping that wouldn't be the only deer in the area since the tracks I've scouted were of various sizes. Along the hike down to the stream I caught a glimpse of that deer again. It turned south and circled back around back up the valley a little south of me.

I get to my spot, climb the tree, and settled in by 8:45AM. I sit till 2PM. Only thing I saw were 4 squirrels and 3 ducks splashing around in the stream 30 yards from me. Wind here was blowing south to north going against the stream. I get to my car around 3PM.

When I get to my car, guess what...deer again...same spot, this time with a friend, jumps and runs south. I dropped off everything into the trunk of my car and just grab my bow. I figure I'll walk in to where I last caught a glimpse of their white tails and start starking from there. I walked maybe 150 yards and figure this was about where I last saw their tails when I had a strange feeling. I looked to my left and there was a tree next to me that split at it's base forming a "V" and between the "V" were those two deer 15 yards away staring right at me! I set my trigger on the nock, raised the bow, and they never even flinched. I was about to pull the arrow back but then I started to think. I'm around 500 feet from the road and the houses across from the road. Or am I 450 feet? Or 550? I'm pretty darn close. Plus, I would be shooting in the direction of the houses. The arrow probably won't reach the houses but it would also mean I would have to look for the arrow really close to the house if something went wrong and I missed. Plus, this is a complete frontal shot. Hmmm...maybe if I am at the head. I mean, they really are that freakin' close! But what if the duck and I hit the top of their head and the arrow only slices skin and riccochet upward towards the houses? This wasn't something that flash through my mind instantly. We really were staring at each other for that long! Then I realized one of them was slightly turn just a tad. Maybe a 10 degree turn. I figured they know I'm here and they haven't moved even when I raised the bow. I don't feel comfortable shooting at the head or a frontal chest shot. If I simply took one or two steps to the right, I can probably stretch that 10 degree turn to a decent quartering shot. Plus it would align some tall bushes between the houses and that deer. The moment I stuck one leg out, boom! They ran. Further south...angling closer to the road and houses.

So...

Question is, should I do a morning sit or an evening sit? I kicked deer near the entrance/road at 5:30PM and at 7:30AM but they're clearing crossing that stream at some time. And...should I have taken that head shot at 15 yards while facing the houses? Distance to houses could be 500 feet or it may not. It's too close to tell.

Head shot is unethical period, You did the right thing by not shooting. I would never take a shot that wasn't broad side to quartering away with a bow. That kind of a shot with a bow your chances of wounding the animal increase exponentially. I would reccomend getting to your stand earlier in the morning and be settled before sunrise and then hunting the sunset. I usually only hunt the afternoon during the rut.

Head shot is unethical period, You did the right thing by not shooting. I would never take a shot that wasn't broad side to quartering away with a bow. That kind of a shot with a bow your chances of wounding the animal increase exponentially. I would reccomend getting to your stand earlier in the morning and be settled before sunrise and then hunting the sunset. I usually only hunt the afternoon during the rut.

my advice is get in REALLY early, if theyre moving theyll keep moving make sure you check the wind before you decide to go in and iquoted him because hes right no head shot is worth it, best thing to do is get a whole day free and pack a lunch and just sit the whole day. youll be able to pin point which trails what time and where theyre going. you significantly increase your chances by staying longer. good luck

i didnt read your whole post, just the first part. i was amazed at the times you were entering the woods!!! 730 am and 530 pm are the prime time for deer to move. you stomping through the woods at that time is crazy. i dont know wht obligations you have in life but if you can only hunt am or pm, you should choose and get in before the "golden hour"

if you hunt the morning you should be in stand by 530

if you hunt the afternoon you should be in by 4

• Like 2

Like the others said,get there earlier-wind in your face walking in and try to intercept the deer as they go to bed down.Thank you for not takeing a head shot.You wouldn't want to experience an arrow through the deer's muzzle running off for that nice Lady to see.And speaking of the nice lady, she probably didn't see you wave. If she is anti-hunting and didn't bother you then that is a good thing.Good luck.

I agree with regulator. The earlier you can get in stand the better (preferably before legal shooting time) give yourself enough time not to feel rushed. And take your time getting to your spot and climbing. The less noise the better although you are going to make some. Scent is the biggest key element. You have to be very concious about being scent free they will sniff you out before they even see you! Keep in mind when they bed down there back is to the wind. So they smell what's coming from behind and can see what's coming from the downwind direction.

I would give that spot a rest if you have someplace else you can hunt.If not and you can get in without being detected you may be o.k. If the deer in the area you hunt are used to seeing people you may be alright.

He said it was right near houses so I believe it should be fine.

Then the follow up question is would it be too soon for me to head back to the same location tomorrow after kicking this deer around four times today?

No way if you seen deer running threw I would with out a doubt be in the same place tomorrow.

They may or may not change the pattern of travel but I rather be there if the don't.

And I say this because a good freind of mine had a nice 8 running right around the woods in his back yard,

He hunted it all year and it never really changed patterns he ended up harvesting it in rifle season.

Good luck.

i was amazed at the times you were entering the woods!!! 730 am and 530 pm are the prime time for deer to move. you stomping through the woods at that time is crazy. i dont know wht obligations you have in life but if you can only hunt am or pm, you should choose and get in before the "golden hour"

if you hunt the morning you should be in stand by 530

if you hunt the afternoon you should be in by 4

+1, and +1 abstaining from taking a bad shot, always try for a slightly quartering away broadside shot with a clear lane and a still deer.

Oh yeah, and I also don't think this was a "Failure." It was a learning experience as is nearly every hunt I have, I do lots of stupid stuff, but I have reduced it by atleast half over the years!

Edited by 7J Everyday

Listen to what the guy above said about the two time periods called the "golden hour". Beside that - what you are describing is trying to get off a shot opportunistically - hard to do and not as satisfying as making a good plan come together. With that kind of plan - you wont be staring at game while processing information about houses or safety zones... Better to just carry your bow cased to and from your waiting location and dont worry about the game you jump.

Not a failure, its called in season scouting.. get in earlier and wait. Might not even be same deer you jumped 2nd time. Set up legally hope they come in range if not watch the area where u jumped them. See if you can see them enter or exit it. When u do find a legal spot and set up there. The next day or when ever you can before leaves drop and their patterns change!

Elmo, I know your a night owl man, haha, but getting settled in at that time and leaving at that time... You know that's no good for your chances at seeing deer! You weren't in the woods at your best times at seeing deer to shoot.

Like someone else said, I don't know your schedule for today, but you know the best times to see deer moving buddy!

Me for example, today I got into my stand at ~1:00PM and had to leave at 3:20ish... That was just the best I could manage today in the woods because of my schedule with work/school.

As for not taking the head-on shot, I agree with your decision 100%. Not worth taking it. You made the right choice, dont let anyone else tell you differently.

And to answer some of your questions directly...

1) Morning or evening sit? To get the best odds of shooting a deer, BOTH. That's obvious tho. The more time in the woods/stand the better obviously. Personally I have seen more deer in the early AM, then in PM hunts.

2) Kicking up deer near the entrance/road at 5:30PM and at 7:30AM? That tells me you are in your stand too late and/or out too early, and possibly not setup close enough to the areas they are traveling.

dont be in a hurry to shoot a deer right off the bat. season just started be patient, then you wont be second guessing your shots, it will all come together.

i myself am not anticipating much these first few weeks. more or less using this time to scout, and pattern the deer a bit. but i am always ready incase something walks by i just cant pass up.