Shooting does with fawns

WhitetailAddict11

an early episode of Deer and Deer Hunting tv indicated that after the doe has been bred, the fawns most likly will return to the doe. as long as the fawn(s) suckle, the doe will have milk....... personally i am more of a freezer filler therefore i kill does and fawns. any doe killed after the rut, certainly during the late bow/muzzle season, will certainly have one or more fetuses growing along with the fawns that may be with her. killed a big doe during late muzzle 3 years ago that had 3 fetuses. no fawns around. still had milk.

Killing a doe with fawns isn't a big deal. We usually wait until later in the season and select the does that are on the "chopping block." We usually select either yearling does because when they have their own fawns the next spring they will most likely move to their own home area or big old does with healthy button buck fawns. Our prime does (2,3 and 4 year olds) with fawns get a free pass in most cases for population purposes. I like to keep the does around for the rut for buck bait as well.

There are some cases where a prime doe with fawns will get herself killed, especially if she can't mind her own god damned business. Three years ago we had a beautiful 2 year old doe with a unique shaped throat patch who discovered our blind. Everynight after that she would come to the field, stare, stomp and blow at the stand whether we were in it or not. Every deer for a mile would here her carry on. Two years ago she was there with her fawns and somehow remembered that stand. She did the same thing until one night she wandered in to about 15 yards and a .300 mag round went tearing through her cupped blowing lips and out the back of her head. Her fawns got through the winter just fine and a 6A tag was never utilized on a more deserving deer. Surprisingly we saw several more deer after her harvest.

Killing a doe with fawns isn't a big deal. We usually wait until later in the season and select the does that are on the "chopping block." We usually select either yearling does because when they have their own fawns the next spring they will most likely move to their own home area or big old does with healthy button buck fawns. Our prime does (2,3 and 4 year olds) with fawns get a free pass in most cases for population purposes. I like to keep the does around for the rut for buck bait as well.

There are some cases where a prime doe with fawns will get herself killed, especially if she can't mind her own god damned business. Three years ago we had a beautiful 2 year old doe with a unique shaped throat patch who discovered our blind. Everynight after that she would come to the field, stare, stomp and blow at the stand whether we were in it or not. Every deer for a mile would here her carry on. Two years ago she was there with her fawns and somehow remembered that stand. She did the same thing until one night she wandered in to about 15 yards and a .300 mag round went tearing through her cupped blowing lips and out the back of her head. Her fawns got through the winter just fine and a 6A tag was never utilized on a more deserving deer. Surprisingly we saw several more deer after her harvest.

hahahah, hunting argry

:spiteful:

Too many does means the bucks wont move and you wont see them. Nobody has suggested shooting every doe off of the property.

X2

Does are like rats (figuratively) on some of the ground I hunt. I mean, they hand out DMPs like they are candy, and I understand why in my local area...lots and lots of them. Rut action is also the weakest in those spots...granted the place gets pounded gun season, but so many does mean there's little of that classic chasing going on.

Not the funnest thing to do to kill a doe/fawns...but I have and will continue to if the #s support it. I do obviously avoid BB if I identify them as such as a personal decision...but that's the extent of my restrictions.

I do have to say some young doe loins on the grill 30 minutes after kill are quite yummy.

Phade you know some of the ground I hunt. Its infested with does, and there arent many guys hunting it, so they are hard to keep control of. I am going to really try to use all of my doe tags there this year, its really bad this year because of the weak winter we had.

Yeah, it really is pretty bad in this general area. I think I'll be glad to shoot some does in late mz...will probably get bck out a time or two with the bow to do the same if I have enough free time. Amazing how fast my weekends fill up once the better half knows the buck tag has been filled. Sheesh.

I always shoot a doe with fawns, especially button bucks... does are what force young bucks to leave an area to prevent inbreeding, kill the mom, buttons grow to 1.5 year old and stay using the mom's home range as their own , unless chased away by more mature bucks. Even if i am not interested in 1.5 year olds its nice to see bucks out while hunting!

I am a seasoned veteran hunter. I hunt on my own land and frequently encounter does with fawns, and have had this happen a few times already this season. I personally will not shoot a doe with fawns. A few years ago I regularly had a big mature doe with her fawn come by my stand during bow season. I would not shoot her. On opening day of gun season, she came by me again with her fawn and I let her walk. She walked off my property, crossed a road, and shortly thereafter I heard a single gunshot. I knew someone shot her and felt terrible. The next day I hunted my property and as I walked to my stand, the fawn followed me to my stand like a lost puppy dog. I climbed into my stand and the fawn just hung around and would not leave. I felt terrible. A couple of days later, the fawn was killed by coyotes and I found the remains right in the same area. Everyone has to decide for themselves, but I would personally rather not have any venison in the freezer than shoot a doe with fawns.

Fawns do NOT survive by themselves. Besides the yotes, they need to learn suvival instinks from mama doe. That's why they will stay together during the entire winter, and into next season.

Not trying to argue, but if that was the case, there would be no 1.5 year old, or older bucks.

The coyote population is growing because there is plenty of food for them, including deer. If there wasnt the food available, the coyotes wouldnt be able to thrive.

That's what people don't realize...a predator population CAN NOT out grow it's food source. I've seen TONS of twin fawns this summer/fall, more-so than in recent years.

Fawns do NOT survive by themselves. Besides the yotes, they need to learn suvival instinks from mama doe. That's why they will stay together during the entire winter, and into next season.

Not true at all. The fawns have all acquired their survival skills over their first few months of life. Nature has designed them to grow up quickly in a unforgiving/harsh world. The male fawns typical buddy up with other buck fawns over the winter but doe fawns will stay with their mothers in groups consisting of realted females for their entire lives.

• Like 1