Do you pee in a bottle or right out of your stand

burmjohn

i usulally go right out of the stand. ive heard of people bottling theres however ive seen deer during me pee hours after i pee or even minutes after...

heck ive seen deer as i was peeing lol. I beleive deer can smell it i just dont think deer can directly relate the urine with that of a human. ive had deer walking past where i just went, they stopped to investigate and walked by care free. i pee from the stand!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yet a buck can tell the state of estrus of a doe from the scent of the urine. Also a deer can identify specific individual deer just by sniffing tracks for scent and other left-behind scent identifiers. Kind of makes you wonder why they can't differentiate between human urine scent and that of more harmless woods critters.

I think there's a lot more to this than we realize. Deer use this sense of smell just like we would use our eyes and ears. So why is it that we can whiz all over the woods and they don't bolt out of the area? The mystery is a bit more complex when you consider that I have seen deer feed to within a few feet of our door and never even flinch at the human odors coming from the house. Put those same scents 50 yards into the woods and the deer will avoid it like the plague and even spook out of the area. Another weird thing: Back when we had a dog, I regularly would see deer graze right over the area where the dog had relieved herself just an hour or so before and they never batted an eye. How could that be? I think there is some real complexity to how deer use scent and relate to it. There almost seems to be some kind of logic used when they come across scent. So when a deer smells our urine in the woods, does the fact that they don't react to it mean that they can't tell it from their own, or does it mean that they simply choose not to react to it. It's pretty hard to get into the mind of a silly goat .... lol. But as a hunter, I find the subject fascinating.

Doc

And yet a buck can tell the state of estrus of a doe from the scent of the urine. Also a deer can identify specific individual deer just by sniffing tracks for scent and other left-behind scent identifiers. Kind of makes you wonder why they can't differentiate between human urine scent and that of more harmless woods critters.

I think there's a lot more to this than we realize. Deer use this sense of smell just like we would use our eyes and ears. So why is it that we can whiz all over the woods and they don't bolt out of the area? The mystery is a bit more complex when you consider that I have seen deer feed to within a few feet of our door and never even flinch at the human odors coming from the house. Put those same scents 50 yards into the woods and the deer will avoid it like the plague and even spook out of the area. Another weird thing: Back when we had a dog, I regularly would see deer graze right over the area where the dog had relieved herself just an hour or so before and they never batted an eye. How could that be? I think there is some real complexity to how deer use scent and relate to it. There almost seems to be some kind of logic used when they come across scent. So when a deer smells our urine in the woods, does the fact that they don't react to it mean that they can't tell it from their own, or does it mean that they simply choose not to react to it. It's pretty hard to get into the mind of a silly goat .... lol. But as a hunter, I find the subject fascinating.

Doc

yeah its funny how that works... i truly beleive they just cant put 2 and 2 together... They can not determine that the scent they are smells is from a human. Its quite funny. But your right, there is something more to this as to why a deer rarly spooks when its comes across human urine. I do think they can tell that it is NOT from a deer. i just dont think they relate the smell as a threat or warning. Thus, feeling comfortanble enough to investigate and walk on by without flinching...

I use to have pee bottles on my stand to use during the day but now pee by walking off just about 20 yards. and see no change at all.

A study was done on pee by the buckmaster stump hunters and found even pee in a scrape and it would also attact bucks... I seem to think that pee is pee and it breaks down in just a short period.

• 1 month later...

Have bottle holders in 3 stands. Also going to do a mock scrape, just not sure where yet. Hoping to find an active one near a trail or path where I can get in with the climber, and freshen it up. Kind of like an expirament. If I'm feeling healthy and not taking any cold medication etc. Did that last year in a different spot and it produced more activity, just not when I was in that particular stand.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't piss on the ground within 500 yds of my stand. I always use a bottle. In your stand what scent you have is 30 ft up so why add your scent to the ground as well? Getting a spike or doe to come in close after you piss on the ground means nothing. You could probably call them in with a trumpet. Fooling a buck worth taking is another matter entirely.

I was turkey hunting one day and had to go as soon as I got on stand. So I took a piss about 5 yards from where I was sitting. About 3 mins later I heard this crashing noise heading my way. Hear came a buck and stopped right where I pissed and put his nose on the ground and continued to walk around until he just wondered off out of sight.

So I just pee right were I am at. I don't walk away from my stand anymore to let it go.

I believe in a hunting video by Dan Fitsgerald he pees off the stand and said it would attract a mature buck from the noise!!!!!!  Anything to sell a video.

Maybe someone should record themselves peeing at home and then sell CD's of the sound so hunters can play it back out in the field?  Maybe someone could make a few dollars selling it.  Worth a try I guess.  Hopefully they will edit out the sound of the flushing toilet.

I believe in a hunting video by Dan Fitsgerald he pees off the stand and said it would attract a mature buck from the noise!!!!!!  Anything to sell a video.

Maybe someone should record themselves peeing at home and then sell CD's of the sound so hunters can play it back out in the field?  Maybe someone could make a few dollars selling it.  Worth a try I guess.  Hopefully they will edit out the sound of the flushing toilet.

oh no...on any given day they could also get a "grunt" in there too..you know what I mean, when there is too much back pressure when you are peeing and all of a sudden a toot comes out.

You know I purposefully stayed away from this thread to avoid potty humor and you drew me into steve..I hope you are happy!

You know I purposefully stayed away from this thread to avoid potty humor and you drew me into steve..I hope you are happy!

It looks like I have done my good deed for the day then!! :O  I like your addition of the grunts also.  I think we might be on to something here.  Maybe we will be giving Quaker boy and Knight & Hale a run for their game call money soon?