What Range Finder?

Lawdwaz

Hey guys & gals.......the 50 yard thread has me wondering what type of range finder you use? I dropped the coin on a Leica 900 yard unit at least 5 years ago. It is in my pocket all season, from archery right until the end of ML season. I range stuff all the time with it, always checking my guesses with the real thing!!

What is the "best buy" these days as far as cost versus accuracy?

I have been very pleased with my Leica, hardly ever (maybe once a year) have to replace the battery. I carry it without a case amongst lots of other crap including bark, wood chips etc.!

It gets a workout year round with target sgooting my rifles and a bit of woodchuck hunting over the summer.

How about you guys?

I just grabbed the Simmons for this season...$103 after mail in rebate which the promptly sent to me already. I like it. Very vanilla..4x mag which I wish was better but can't complain due to the price. I really only bow hunt and most areas in hunt are in thick woods so not any need beyond 30 yards which is my shot comfort anyway.

I have the bushnell arc 1000. Impressive, however if you don’t hunt in 30' treestands or property with canyons & cliffs you really don’t need the angle compensation feature. Most of my stands are about 20'-22' up with gradual inclines and declines below , the greatest difference between true distance and line of sight distance was 2 yards. A great unit none the less.

Edited by Joeambro25

You just wanted to show off them spiffy Swaro binoculars with that picture.

I have a Nikon 660 that works pretty good. After about 400 yds you need a hard target for them to work good; but anything shorter is ok.

Funny, I thought you would comment on the marine grade plywood!!

Lots of good choices these days on RF's. That above noted Leica thingy mabob could be helpful to you in the construction field, no? Probably costs more than all the goods in my pic......<g>

Thats pretty damn cool Elmer.

I had a Leica spotter 62mm APO here for a few weeks once upon a time. Planned on using them to digiscope pics on a trip.

But I didn't get the adapter in time and the spotter didn't come along in the end; and they went back to the demo bin at a optics dealer.

I wish i could justify owning one, or Lieca rangfinding bino's.

Good stuff.

Cabelas archer...made by Bushnell....works good but yep I only need it in stands that are on the edge of the hill or over looking the gully...That said it is actually used more for shot gun and rifle season...I shoot enough archery and instinctive that ranging is not an issue...but my long 20ga shots I need to be spot on

I just picked up a Bushnell Chuck Adams Edition with ARC. I am very pleased with it.

This is what I use. The first year model (I think it is in its third year of production) had some major quality control issues. Second and third year models are top-notch for the money and best overall value IMO. Next would be Redfield, but not ARC.

Arc is not huge in most places here, but there's a few spots hilly enough that I range it to make me feel better, ha.