what do you do when its time to get down?

Geno C

What do you do when its time to get down from your stand after your EVENING HUNT and you have deer under or around you? im sure we all dont want to give up our location if the deer have not looked up and picked you off, so what do you do?

i never move or give up my location because if you never hunted the island here some info for you. the deer look up 99% of the time and when they think they see something and booger out they remember and always look up at that tree when they come in. Its not as bad upstate but hunting the island a deer will literally smell where you stepped and if the scent trail stops at the tree they will look straight up at you lol

i usually make a mouth grunt (with my mouth) to the deer or some sort of animal sound that sounds natural (or i think) that wont send that deer high tailing it out this way i can get down and walk out. im just curious to see what others do?

When I was in PA hunting food plots, the other guys who were in tree stands would do a coyote howl/bark. The deer would scatter, then they would get down and out.

The deer always came back the next night anyway. If you have coyotes in your area, this could work.

I've been told to sit tight and wait them out. Could take up to an hour for them to move on but you DO NOT want to get out of the stand when they're all around you. Great way to turn them nocturnal.

i can't wait it out.I usually have my phone blowing up from someone needing picked up or to take someone somewhere.

I have barked like a dog before.It sends them running.They will come back.

I've been told to sit tight and wait them out. Could take up to an hour for them to move on but you DO NOT want to get out of the stand when they're all around you. Great way to turn them nocturnal.

I should re word it but i was talking about the evening hunt.. you would sit there in the dark for another hour??

I always sit past dark anyway. But I would think if you are in the dark, any sound would set them off. I've never been fortunate enough to have this happen. I have gotten down when I knew deer were 50yds plus feeding, but never right under me.

i just dont like to move or let a deer see me get down... the less i educate them of my where abouts the better. the sounds i make to get them to walk off seem to work for me and the deer do indeed come back. the yote howls are interesting i wouldn't have thought of that one.

I've just slowly and quietly climbed down...closest is when they were 15yrds out....time movements with them eating...once on the ground...if I know I can't walk out unnoticed ...I'll stand with my arms at my side and as covered...tree/ brush as possible and stomp my foot and snort...personally if I need to make sounds to move them off...I don't want them or and unseen buck pin pointing the sound coming out of the tree I'm in...I've never been busted doing this

An old elk hunter friend of mine turned me onto the "rock and roll" when it's time to get deer moving.

Carry a rock with ya and give it a good chuck into space when deer gather. Sometimes it takes 2...or 3 to get them to leave or get up when they're bedded and it draws their attention away from you.

Edited by wooly

An old elk hunter friend of mine turned me onto the "rock and roll" when it's time to get deer moving.

Carry a rock with ya and give it a good chuck into space when deer gather. Sometimes it takes 2...or 3 to get them to leave or get up when they're bedded and it draws their attention away from you.

I do this too......makes a sound in a different direction from where you are.

Gives me enough time to swap scopes to a red dot, change ammo to coyote rounds so I can walk out.

• Like 1

hmm thats a good idea... i like this one

That's funny...apparently rocks have many purposes...My ...God rest his soul...archery guy once told me that..... taking a hand full of small stones with you in a tree stand can make a dull day active.. If you are in an area with oaks....just occasionally drop a stone or two in the leafs...any unseen or bedded deer with in hearing distance will eventually show up....He said it works around apple trees as well...

• Like 1